Concertina & Squeezebox Music Project

The other day I was going through some of my old cassette tapes from 15 to 20 years ago and found some beat up tapes of the Concertina & Squeezebox magazine “Reader's Tape” and the “ “Son of Reader's Tape”. I wonder how many of you remember those tapes and if the folks that put them together still have all the source recordings from the readers that sent them in. I think with the home recording technology currently available, it would an interesting exercise to compile those tunes to CD. On the other hand people might be put off by the 15-20 yr old homespun quality of the recordings.

Yes, the C&S readers tapes are great.

Through the 80's and into the early 90's, I was convinced that I was the only concertina player in the world.

My discovery of the wonderfully charming C&S Magazine and the reader tapes helped turn a casual interest into a lifetime obsession.

Eternal thanks to John Townley and Joel Cowan.

Bob

Hi,

I would love to have copies of the tapes and would pay for the copies and postage and time.

I was so excited when I heard about the Concertina and Squeezebox journal only to find out it had stopped publishing.

Must have been a great project.

Helen

Presumably the copyright to the tapes is still owned by the operators of C&S magazine. There is a potential solution that might satisfy the folks who would like a new copy while being rather more legal than the old "hey, send me a copy." The third editor of C&S, Geo Salley, is among us, and perhaps some of you can interest him in this idea, as he could probably get it properly authorized. We have already talked to him about digging into the C&S archive to share some of the old stuff with you.

Ken (still w/o regular I-net access, but working on it)

Well, I suppose I'm the last of the C&S crowd "available". Joel is incommunicado, John seems to be "retired", but I think I can locate him. The copywright issue should be no problem. As far as I know the originals were lost in Joel's fire, so a re-mastering would have to be from available tapes, if ones in good condition can be located.

An interesting project.

Cheers,

Geo

I think with the home recording technology currently available, it would an interesting exercise to compile those tunes to CD.
I cannot advice about how to do it.

Would find very intersting to me to have copies opf the tapes or a CD.

Please advise iof there is any posibility to get one or the other

Dub tapes to CD? That's exactly what I did for the Allan Day tutor. I used some noise reduction software tools, (and I am currently shopping for some better ones as DX plug-ins for Sound Forge.)

Just how many minutes/hours of music are we talking about?

Alex C. Jones