Ot: Harp

Theodore Kloba

And how is her pose with her harp any different from any number of Border Morris stick dances where the stick is used as a phallus? Or a sexually-explicit tango? And there is a tremendous amount of filth in traditional songs. Glorious, funny filth, but still filth. And don't forget the murders - there's lots of murders too.

The traditional arts are hardly some safe, pure repository where one can isolate oneself from the "explicit". I recommend buying a James Last LP.

She's good, but she needs help.
You're suggesting psychological "help"?
Oh no, not at all. I'm suggesting psichiatric help.

Hmm. My understanding of the distinction is that "psychiatric" is "psychological" aided by prescription drugs. That's a pretty serious charge.

And I think you're reading into her performance interpreations which ... are not shared by either herself or her audiences.
You haven't commented on the picture of her, with the harp sticking out of her crotch, with her legs spread.

No, I didn't. Because I didn't view it that way, and I'm suggesting that she doesn't, either. What I see in that picture is a woman wearing a harness which enables her to play her harp while moving freely about the stage. Nothing overtly sexual. Having the harp in any other position relative to her body would make it difficult or impossible to play... unless, of course, she were to abandon the ability to move about. The text on her website supports my view: It's all about her musicianship, storytelling, and humor... no innuendo, and nothing "suggestive". The quoted comparison with Harpo Marx is exactly the opposite of the image you're trying to suggest.

I will suggest that the image which seems to offend you originates in your mind, not in hers. Take that for what it's worth.

But just as you feel that she has overstepped the bounds of your sensibilities, I believe that in more than one respect you have taken this discussion beyond the normal limits of tolerance here on C.net. If you want me to be more explicit, or if you want to continue the discussion of this woman, I'll be happy to do so off-Forum. But I'll end my part of it here.

"I hope you're able to control your disgust when you see pandering in this image, Michael. What's with these harpers, anyway?

http://www.east-durham.org/irishartsweek/t...oney%20Harp.JPG

Nice try.

I liked the image. That's what I'd call a Harper! Now he can start playing.

BTW, I'm doing a little survey here at work, and most people's image of the harper is a femail in long gown, doing broom-broom. Then I show them the Welsh tripple Harp player, and all of a sudden many have Welsh ancestry.

As for pandering, it's the case of too much TV and too few books during childhood. Nothing can be done. It's one of the pay-offs of open society, where a. one has to make money and b. moral values become relative, because of "a".

But who else is out there with the Internet presence, who's harp playing is worth seing?

It's fascinating. Zithers, harps. All rather obscure instruments in my parts, and have a solid beard of negative stereotype stuck to them (both from the ignorant public (like me) and conformist players).

It's fascinating. Zithers, harps. All rather obscure instruments in my parts, and have a solid beard of negative stereotype stuck to them

Hmm, curiously my decision to grow a rather "solid beard" came at around the same time I bought my guitar-zither and autoharp. Coincidence perhaps?

:lol:

Has anyone said anything about the combination of these kinds of instruments with concertina? ... I think harp and concertina sound wonderful together,...

For what it's worth (not much?), I have a copy of "Lyon & Healy's Harp Music Digest", copyrighted 1916, which contains a single entry in SECTION XVIII - HARP AND CONCERTINA:

... Duo Brilliant by Oberthür-Giulia Rezondi (sic)

From "Der Freischütz." Hommage à Weber.

Grade V

I wonder if copies still exist somewhere. :unsure:

She's good, but she needs help.

Maybe you need help to overcome your chauvinistic 19th century ideas on what women should look and behave like? :angry:

Give me the cool dude, not a mexican in glasses, straw hat and a tie.

Cream-T I applaud you on your enlightened outlook. M3838's cultural prejudices are transparent.

Lots of women played concertinas in Victorian parlors, and many men have played harp. There was a time when the flute was considered strictly a man's instrument, and now we see more women playing flutes. There was a time when men did most things esteemed in the public imagination, and that has changed, too. There are more women than men in the world, they live longer, and have more opportunities these days to try different things out. Technology, economy and gender values have changed over the years in the post-modern world, so it's reasonable to assume that one will find women involved in just about any musical activity, and appropriating just about any style of playing that's available.

We get lots of styles these days, and lots of sexually diverse expressions. Far more men than women play concertina, but it didn't deter me from buying one and trying it out myself. I usually wear jeans and a tee-shirt, and I sit with my legs apart if it feels more comfortable. I have known numerous manly men who dance with flipping hankies and dainty bells on, and it didn't ruin my personal opinion of them, their dancing, or their music.

Edited by greenferry

I thought the topic is dropped, as I've found a few very interesting energetic harp playing, that beat off the stereotype of a dull female musician in black silk long dress, brooming the background harp in a symponic orchestra. I've downloaded Welsh triple harp, and a few more. Glad I did.

Of course I do have my prejustices. I think my opponents assume they don't. Some lucky folks.

But it was more a taste issue. I think that the image discussed doesn't represent a good taste.

And I thought it was an offence to women. I'd think that performer would do better by wearing black pants or jeans, it will make her more sexy, if she thinks that sells, and more comfortable, less riskey etc.

But may be you can suggest some web address for yet another great energetic harp player, both genders?

I thought the topic is dropped,...

Yes, please... everybody.

But may be you can suggest some web address for yet another great energetic harp player, both genders?

I don't know of a harp player who fulfills the "both genders" requirement, but you might check out Wendy Carlos' work with synthesizer. B)

Fer gawds ache, m3838, haven't you ever heard of Michael Rooney? Ya got his picture. He's the harp player with concertina player Michael O'Raghallaigh.

OK, all genders are now in alignment and we can return to regularly scheduled programming. :)