Dots On Lines

Can any of these write the music straight from a microphone, so you play a phrase and see it in staff and can then stitch bits together and edit them? Sorry if this is a silly question!

Can any of these write the music straight from a microphone, so you play a phrase and see it in staff and can then stitch bits together and edit them? Sorry if this is a silly question!

Not a silly question. A lot of us have been asking it for years. Not sure there's a good answer yet, though. I can't imagine how the output wouldn't need a lot of editing, unless you play like a robot.

Not a silly question. A lot of us have been asking it for years. Not sure there's a good answer yet, though. I can't imagine how the output wouldn't need a lot of editing, unless you play like a robot.

There's a list of audio to midi programs at -

Howard Mitchell

I have this midi interface (Roland) for my electric guitar which has an analog input. With that it's possible to convert a microphone signal into midi. But you're right, one must develop a rigid robotic playingstyle to use it.

Johan

Web-based. You can get to it by going to Noteworthy's main page and dropdown menu down at the upper right to "My Noteworth Community" or directly by using this link here.

I also checked out the features of the upcoming release which says that it will do sounding notes as they are added, contoured slurs, and improved accidental placement within chords (three things I LIKE!) amongst a host of other things.

Hi Rich. So far I use Noteworthy only when I need to add lyrics, which is does very well -- singers take note!

I may check out the Web discussion group.

One misfeature that really bugs me about NWC is that you can't adjust one note in a chord, without moving all the notes, or deleting all but the one you want to change, then adding the others back. Maybe by now they've fixed that, but the online manual even says you can't.

--Mike K.

Hi there

Does anyone know of any software that enables the writing of music i.e. dots on lines etc. I have composed (sounds good eh - but Ive only done simple melodies) a number of tunes to songs written by my hubby and we want to be able to put them to print. Personally I know very little about reading music and still have to write the letter beneath the dots but these songs have been written for a Folk Musical (also written by hubby) based on a folk tale from Rydale (North Yorkshire) called Sarkless Kitty and if we want to put this play on we will need some proper written music for 'real' musicians to follow.

If you can run Linux, let me plug my own free program, UltiMusE, which you can download ready to run.

It doesn't play notes as you mouse or type them in, but at any time you can hit the 'W' key and play what's showing on the screen, and hit any key to stop it.

For us concertina types, on of UltiMusE's best features is that it allows for chord notations over or under your staff notes -- E7, Am, F#m7, etc. More important, if you transpose a section of music to a new key, the chord symbols transpose along with it! This allows me to write a tune in one key and then try it in others (my Hayden Duet lets me play in 6 keys).

UltiMusE can print pretty readable sheet music, though not as professional as some others. I've handed out copies to our Celtic band to play.

You can download UME from http://members.aol.com/knudsenmj/myhomepage/index.html

Right now the HTML manual fiels are way out of date, but I can help you with the new features.

--Mike K.

One misfeature that really bugs me about NWC is that you can't adjust one note in a chord, without moving all the notes, or deleting all but the one you want to change, then adding the others back. Maybe by now they've fixed that, but the online manual even says you can't.

--Mike K.

I bought Noteworthy a few months ago, version 1.75. To delete a note in a chord, you put the cursor just to the right of note you want to delete, on the same line of the staff, press control and backspace together, lo! away goes yer note.

Put your cursor on the line where you want your new note to be, press control and enter together, and there's your new note. It's a vital part of Noteworthy for me, as I'm always making mistakes.

Good luck

Joy

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry - I don't often get the chance to read through all these wonderful messages. One piece of software I haven't seen mentioned is "Mozart" (http://www.mozart.co.uk/) - which is one of the cheapest Music Desktop Publishers I know - with good midi output - currently costs £65 for the fully licenced version - but there is a trial version (30 days?) to see if you like it. Personally I find it very easy to use - but then I have been using it for some years now! The best aspect of it is that the output is of publishing quality ... and it has been used to create the "Concertina World" Music supplements for some years now ...

It also has one other advantage - it can import .niff files from Sharpeye (http://www.visiv.co.uk/) a music optical character recognition program - and while it is a bit pricy ( over £100) - it is brilliant. Want to learn a page of dots - and have no idea what they sound like - OCR it with Sharpeye - pop it into Mozart - sit back and listen - a task I've managed to complete in less than 10 minutes on occasions! (nb: this does depend on the quality of the input/ complexity of the music etc.).

I also sometime use Harmony and Melody Assistant (the latter being adequate - and cheaper!) Noteworthy, Midinotate composer and various other (expensive) options - but always return to Mozart for speed and simplicity with a quality output ... but as they say - horses for courses! The other thing I like about Mozart is that there is a discussion group where help is almost instantanious - and more often than not - provided by David Webber - the chap who wrote the program. Also, if things are found to require changing (bugs etc.) David is often in there with a patch/ update in days ... it's worth buying the program just to enjoy the service!!

Kind regards

Jon McNamara