Tutor In Uk Cheshire/manchester Area ?

nkgibbs

Hi, I am looking for an Anglo tutor in the Cheshire (I live in Goostrey) area or, alternatively in Manchester where I work :) . I have been 'playing' a 20 button C/G Lachenal for 18 months so can manage the very basics B) . I have probably picked up all the bad habits and need someone to teach me 'real playing' :D. Any suggestions???

Many Thanks,

Neil

Hi, I am looking for an Anglo tutor in the Cheshire (I live in Goostrey) area or, alternatively in Manchester where I work :) . I have been 'playing' a 20 button C/G Lachenal for 18 months so can manage the very basics B) . I have probably picked up all the bad habits and need someone to teach me 'real playing' :D. Any suggestions???

Many Thanks,

Neil

Hi Neil,

I don't know of any local anglo players, but this is just a hello message from an English player just down the road from you. (I work at that big metal dish just up the road and live in Northwich).

I go way up the M6 to the Jubilee concertinas' workshops in Chorley once a month which is good for practicing playing in a group and learning tunes, but not really a tuition thing. (there's a concertina session that meets on the second saturday of the month and is usually mostly EC witha couple of anglos and a duet, and there's a mixed band session on the first sat. on the month)

Chris J

Hi Neil,

No help with the tutor I'm afraid, but I also have had a 20b Lachenal for about 18months, and live in Alsager, about 20 mins away from Goostrey.

I too have been to Jubilee, and was helped greatly by being "forced" to play in front of the group. It might not have improved my playing, but did boost my confidence. Unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to make most of their meetings.

I am currently using Alan Day's tutorial and The Mad for Trad one by Niall Vallelly, but as I rarely get the chance to play with other people, I can go off in my own direction!!

There's a Friday night session at the Harrington Arms, Gawsworth, but I haven't been there for a long time, so don't know if there are any concertina players there.

Peter

There's a Friday night session at the Harrington Arms, Gawsworth, but I haven't been there for a long time, so don't know if there are any concertina players there.

Peter

I find the Harrington session very fast and scary (and usually very Irish)!

I occasionally go to this it - there are some very good players in the regulars, but my playing and repertoire aren't really up to speed. (I don't remember seeing any anglo players)

There's a Tuesday session (1st and third of month) in Mobberley - it has a more English/Morris bias but has been very quiet recently with only a small number of players. (Again, I haven't encountered any anglos, just melodeons and ECs in the free reed family)

PM me if you're interested and I'll dig out contact details - the session isn't always on, especially this month, clashing with Easter and it's best to check before travelling

Chris

Dear Chris and Peter,

It's good to know that there are people so close playing concertinas! Many thanks for your helpful and supportive comments. I am certainly not ready to 'perform' in front of 'fast and scary' musicians!! I wonder whether you might consider going to one of the Mobberley meetings some time, all with concertinas in hand??? Doing this would let them know that there are local hexagonal squeezers!!!! Chris, do you have the details??

Best Regards,

Neil

Edited by nkgibbs

I find the Harrington session very fast and scary (and usually very Irish)!

I occasionally go to this it - there are some very good players in the regulars, but my playing and repertoire aren't really up to speed. (I don't remember seeing any anglo players)

Chris

I've only been to the Harrington a couple of times but it seems there's concertinas all over the place. Mostly EC it seems but there are anglo's there too. The music is a bit fast at times but there are lots of English and Breton tunes played there too. My impression was that there are players not as accomplished who are quite happy to start slower tunes, you would just have to build up a critical mass, or come early and start playing before most of the regulars turn up.

Mobberley ..... Chris, do you have the details??

Best Regards,

Neil

Neil

I've sent you a PM with phone numbers etc (and apologise for calling you nick!)

ps the Harrington people are nice and friendly - and happy to let you lead out at a slower pace ... it's the general speed that I find scary!

Chris

It is worth the trip to get to the fortnightly meeting at the Royal Hotel at Dungworth nr Sheffield. Generally between eight and a dozen anglos, playing a fair bit of Irish and very welcoming and helpful to beginners (the group is half beginners and half decent players and we make sure everyone gets a chance to play).

It is worth the trip to get to the fortnightly meeting at the Royal Hotel at Dungworth nr Sheffield. Generally between eight and a dozen anglos, playing a fair bit of Irish and very welcoming and helpful to beginners (the group is half beginners and half decent players and we make sure everyone gets a chance to play).

I'll try to drop in when I can time my trips down south correctly. What date is the next session there?

Mobberley ..... Chris, do you have the details??

Best Regards,

Neil

Neil

I've sent you a PM with phone numbers etc (and apologise for calling you nick!)

ps the Harrington people are nice and friendly - and happy to let you lead out at a slower pace ... it's the general speed that I find scary!

Chris

As a long-time regular at the Harrington I can assure you that all abilities and all styles of music are welcome. True, there is a strong Irish contingent (and some nights can be very heavily Irish) but there is also a lot of other stuff, and I always make a point of playing a lot of English tunes on both melodeon and anglo. There are usually several EC players there as well.

Most of the tunes do rattle along at a good pace, but we're always willing to let someone have a go and are usually very supportive of nervous novices.

The thing about a session is that you don't need to "perform" (unless you want to), you can just sit and play quietly in the background until you've got the confidence to come forward. I've always found it a great way to learn. And it's no bad thing to try to keep up in a fast session, it will bring your playing along no end - the thing is not to worry about playing all the notes, but just try to keep up with the tune. After a few weeks you'll be surprised how well you'll be able to keep up.