Any Websites Which Show Music As Well As Lyrics Free?

I was looking, of all things for the music for the verse of 'He's in the Jailhouse now' which had taken my fancy, but I'm not particularly after that (brilliant chorus, forgettable verse after all, QED); I had the same problem with 'The Whistler and his Dog' a while ago. It's easy to find lyrics; sometimes you can find chords or even (eurghh!) tablature, but I wondered if anyone knew of a place where a wide range of the music itself is available without money changing hands. No homilies about composers losing out please; if i can't get it free I'll do without or wait for it to come on the radio, so it's not an issue.

I was looking, of all things for the music for the verse of 'He's in the Jailhouse now' which had taken my fancy, but I'm not particularly after that (brilliant chorus, forgettable verse after all, QED); I had the same problem with 'The Whistler and his Dog' a while ago. It's easy to find lyrics; sometimes you can find chords or even (eurghh!) tablature, but I wondered if anyone knew of a place where a wide range of the music itself is available without money changing hands. No homilies about composers losing out please; if i can't get it free I'll do without or wait for it to come on the radio, so it's not an issue.

Written and recorded in 1928? by Jimmy Rogers. If you join a Country Music news group and ask there they may be in a better position to help.

Also, it so happens that that very track was played by Bob Harris on his Radio 2 Country show, last Thursday 6 th April. If you go to the BBC website you can listen to the programme again.

try here : Bob Harris Country

regards Jake

Hi,

If you know the title or better can If you can writea section of the tune in .abc format, you can search on this searchengine/tunefinder site

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind

A great resource and you can download music files here in several formats including midi files

Dave

Thanks, all of you, but limited success so far folks, Mudcat looked promising but my server wouldn't take delivery of the tune downloads, (although I did learn that 'Abdul El Bulbul Amir' is a thoroughly crude song that wasn't worth finding the words for, because i'd never dare perform it); trillian looked at me blankly when offered titles to work on. What's abc format, Dave; it couldn't be as simple as writing the tune down in letter names could it?

I did learn that 'Abdul El Bulbul Amir' is a thoroughly crude song that wasn't worth finding the words for, because i'd never dare perform it...

There are many songs that have both "crude" and more "clean" lyrics. "Abdul the Bulbul Amir" is one of them.

What's abc format, Dave; it couldn't be as simple as writing the tune down in letter names could it?

Almost. Others can tell you more.

OOh that one's a good'un, go to the home page and the world's your oyster. I've no problem with listening to it instead of reading the music (I wasn't expecting harmony anyway). I'll have a proper look at abc as well. Thanks, everyone.