Envoy Worthington

OLDNICKILBY

From time to time I come across Concertinas with a repairers stamp inside with the name Envoy Worthington

and a vivid description of the "Ailments of the Concertina " that are effectively cured ,from "looseness of tongues(or rather tounges) wheeziness, lack of voice,and bellows stiffened at his Royal Infirmary of Concertinas" at 133 Hilltop Alerton Bradford

Do we know anything of this intriguing man ? When I first came across his stamp I thought he might be a Salvation Army Repairer but as he has "39 years experience of repairing and selling Concertinas" I suppose that is wrong

From time to time I come across Concertinas with a repairers stamp inside with the name Envoy Worthington

and a vivid description of the "Ailments of the Concertina " that are effectively cured ,from "looseness of tongues(or rather tounges) wheeziness, lack of voice,and bellows stiffened at his Royal Infirmary of Concertinas" at 133 Hilltop Alerton Bradford

Do we know anything of this intriguing man ? When I first came across his stamp I thought he might be a Salvation Army Repairer but as he has "39 years experience of repairing and selling Concertinas" I suppose that is wrong

From a Goggle of Salvationist definitions:

An Envoy is a Local Officer whose duty is to visit corps, societies and outposts, for the purpose of conducting meetings. A Local Officer is soldier appointed to a position of responsibility and authority in the corps; carries out the duties of the appointment without being separated from regular employment or receiving remuneration from the Army.

So it is very probable that Envoy Worthington combined his "Concertina Infirmary" with his unpaid Salvation Army duties.

MC

Hello OldNickilby,

Interesting to hear about Envoy Worthington, whoever he may have been. There’s no street called Hill Top in Allerton now, but there is a Hill Top Lane which has a house number 97, so probably had a 133. I’ll go and have a look tomorrow, it’s only half a mile from my house.

I don’t know if this is any help to you, but these are the Salvation Army contact details for branches in Bradford and Shipley. They may have a magazine through which you could ask for information. All the branches are within 5 miles of the Allerton area of Bradford. The biggest branch is Leeds Road, I think, that’s where their hostel for the homeless is based. Salvation Army, 371 Leeds Rd, Bradford, BD3 9NG - 01274 731221

These two branches are probably the closest to the Allerton area, so most likely to have people who may remember Envoy Worthington. Shipley is a suburb on the outskirts of Bradford.

Shipley Salvation Army, 6 Hilton Road, Shipley, BD18 2AN

01274 533259

http://www.findachurch.co.uk/temp/se/se13/...eysa/index.html

The Salvation Army in Wibsey, Holroyd Hill, Wibsey, Bradford, BD6 1PQ

01274 677591

http://www.findachurch.co.uk/temp/se/se13/sa/index.html

The other two Bradford branches are:

Salvation Army (Holmewood) 12 St. Margarets Avenue, Bradford, BD4 9AG - 01274 684230

Email: mail@salvationarmyholmewood.org

Idle Citadel Salvation Army Walter Street Idle Bradford. Tel: Fax:. 01274 612538 (Church) 01274 611709 (Minister) 01274 611709.

http://www.findachurch.co.uk/churches/se/s...adel/index.html

The local daily paper for Bradford, which covers Allerton, is called the Telegraph and Argus. They often print letters from people asking for information about people who may have lived in the area. The paper’s website is at: http://www.thisisbradford.co.uk/

Letters to the editor can be emailed to: tanda.letters@bradford.newsquest.co.uk

They also have a free, sister paper, the Target, which is distributed weekly to Bradford and Shipley. The Target often prints a selection of letters which have been sent to the Telegraph and Argus.

Hope this is some help. I don’t know any Salvation Armyists or would try to help a bit more.

Good luck if you decide to pursue this.

Joy

Edited by Spectacled Warbler

Hi OLDNICKILBY,

You sent me a message some time ago asking this question regarding a Lachenal Anglo that I was selling (now sold) - unfortunately attempts at replying to your mail failed.

You asked whether my box was stamped as you describe, it was.

Is this significant - or is it just something that is of interest to you?

Edited by wolosp