What's Worse Than Waiting For Your New Concertina?

The first half of my new miniature concertina arrived in the mail this afternoon. Now I just have to wait for the other half to arrive, screw it together, and I can play! Waiting for the second part is definitely worse than waiting for the first . :P

(In case youre wondering I had it sent in to parcels to save a couple of hundred dollars on GST(VAT)/inport duty. The entire concertina was way over the dollar value limit, but each half is well under. A convenient and very legal loophole.)

The two were posted only two days apart, so hopefully I'll have more good news early next week. :)

Morgana

Concertinas in kit form; that's an interesting concept. Hope that assembly instructions are included!

Let us know how it goes when you have both parts, and have had a chance to play it.

Regards,

Peter.

(In case youre wondering I had it sent in to parcels to save a couple of hundred dollars on GST(VAT)/inport duty. The entire concertina was way over the dollar value limit, but each half is well under. A convenient and very legal loophole.)

Morgana

Smart! You must be in agony though. Hopefully it will arrive safe and soon.

When my Morse was ready now back in 2004, I drove out to then Amherst and picked it up. The antisipation caused me to drive very fast indeed (at times in excess of 90 mph). When it was handed to me my hands shook and I was afraid to speak for fear I might blubber out something monumentally stupid. All I could think was, get out of here fast before they change their minds and take it back. I sat in the parking lot and played it and teared up a bit.

You will of course post a few photos when both sides arrive?

The first half of my new miniature concertina arrived in the mail this afternoon. Now I just have to wait for the other half to arrive, screw it together, and I can play!

Morgana, it sounds like you'll be able to answer for us that nagging question that has long plagued concertina terminologists: Is the bellows part of the left end of the concertina, or the right? :D

Morgana, it sounds like you'll be able to answer for us that nagging question that has long plagued concertina terminologists: Is the bellows part of the left end of the concertina, or the right? :D
I always thought that it was "the bit in the middle". This suggests that there should be three packages! :unsure:

Well, yes. There was a third faction (until now the largest faction, I regret to say) that held that view, but the fact that Morgana is receiving only two packages clearly shows their position to have been false. I, for one, look forward to having the record finally set straight. B) :P

I sent a Rock Chidley english to a an American; sending the bellows and one end in one package and the other end in another got both halves out of the UK by 'small packet' rate, above which costs skyrocket. Well worth doing. I was also able to write 'incomplete concertina for spares' on the customs declaration of each; dunno if this saved my purchaser customs duties but you feel it should have done...

I always thought that it was "the bit in the middle". This suggests that there should be three packages! :unsure:

Well, yes. There was a third faction (until now the largest faction, I regret to say) that held that view, but the fact that Morgana is receiving only two packages clearly shows their position to have been false. I, for one, look forward to having the record finally set straight. B) :P

How do we know that the bellows were sent in one piece :). Granted it would make it a bit of a pain to assemble the instrument.. but it is theoretically possible :)

--

Bill

"Concertinas are evaluated by weight,..."

""Michael, I think you misunderstood.

Morgana said she's evaluating this one by "wait"/ ""

Nah, just a misspelling. It's common in scientific circles.

Did I mention, where to send the prize?

She might have got the middle half - in which case it's "right quarter - middle half - left quarter" and both the sides make up the missing half. :)

Or maybe it was one half of the note range, with the other half to welded on afterwards?

:o :blink: :blink:

The first parcel had both ends (beautifully packaged), and the second parcel (yet to arrive) has the bellows and the wooden concertina case.

So I'm sorry Jim, I can't answer you question. :lol:

I will certainly be posting photos on my website when it's arrived, and put together.

Kind regards

Morgana :)