3 Row Melodeon / 3 Row Diatonic

HELP - HELP - HELP !

If I may draw on the knowledge and experience of you fine people....

1. Is there any difference between a 3-row melodeon and a 3-row diatonic box such as the latter can be found at numerous places on the web?

2. Can anyone point me to a maker of 3-row melodeons or 3-row diatonic boxes who does custom work ... who would make one for me with a particular keyboard layout... i.e. a non-standard layout that I would require?

Thank you all so much!

Bill

Sorry you'll need to clarify what you mean. I assume you mean a B/C/C# with a stradella bass? But of course you may not.

Dino Baffetti (I understand) will custome fit any reeds to their boxes so you could choose one from this page http://www.baffetti-accordions.com/diatonic2.htm and get the exact tuning you want. I can't offer any advice on waiting lists or build time.

HELP - HELP - HELP !

If I may draw on the knowledge and experience of you fine people....

1. Is there any difference between a 3-row melodeon and a 3-row diatonic box such as the latter can be found at numerous places on the web?

2. Can anyone point me to a maker of 3-row melodeons or 3-row diatonic boxes who does custom work ... who would make one for me with a particular keyboard layout... i.e. a non-standard layout that I would require?

Thank you all so much!

Bill

I agree with Peter, you need to clarify what you mean. A 3-row melodeon is a 3-row diatonic box. In general, The English call all diatonic button accordions melodeons (I am sure there exceptions, but this my observation) except perhaps the Irish half-step chromatic tunings (B/C, C#/D, also the B/C/C# though that is more scottish there are a few Irish who play it). The Irish appear to only call the single row box a melodeon and the Americans just call them all accordions.

Alot of the better makers will customize a box to fit your needs, but you might have to wait several months or more to get the instrument... then again from the perspective of a concertina player, that aint that much :).

--

Bill

LOFFET Bernard

15, rue de la Libération

56850 CAUDAN

France

Tél. : 02 97 05 68 92

Fax : 02 97 05 62 53

E-mail : diato@wanadoo.fr

WWW : http://www.come.to/diato

Accordéons diatoniques.

SERAFINI Marc

12, rue des Chamois

31200 TOULOUSE

France

Tél. : 05 62 72 15 06

Fax : 05 62 72 15 06

Accordéons diatoniques, mélodéons

VAN DER AA Frans

Heezerenbosch 3

5591 TA HEEZE

Pays -Bas

Tél. : 0031 402264408

Fax : 0031 402264408

Accordéons diatoniques.

MARTIN Eric (Cajun)

L'Hermitage

35380 MAXENT

France

Tél. : 02 99 06 73 60

Accordéons diatoniques, mélodéon, 2 rangs...

A friend who plays melodeon with me has had melodeons by Salterelle, Baffetti, Castagnari, Bruno Priez, Gaillard, Serafini, Van der Aa and others! (He's not short of a bob or two!) He seems to have stuck now on an Italian Midi-melodeon and a Colin Dipper Franglo.

Of all the melodeons he rated Van der Aa as the best. But they are all different and its a matter of personal taste. If you can wait, your best bet is to go to the festival at St Chartier (14 July). They'll all be there.