Dipper English Concertina

bob tipler

post-1800-1142964149_thumb.jpgpost-1800-1142963766_thumb.jpgAn all too rare chance to obtain a Colin Dipper made English Concertina.

I've had this one for around 10 years (having waited around 7 years whilst it was being made). It has 6 sides and 40 buttons and was designed, I understood, from Colin to a spec given to him by Alistair Anderson. Ebony sides, black 6 fold bellows.and extemely intricate fretwork. It is very loud with a fine tone and has a fantastic sharp action it has hardly been played and is almost as new. Reason for selling is that my musical career has taken me off in another direction and I believe that all superior instruments like this should be played not kept as investments. Hard to put a value on it as Colin's instruments so seldomly come on to the market and his waiting time for new instruments is legendary - though always worth the wait. For more information, e-mail me direct at bob@theamericaground.com

What a thing of beauty! It gave me a pain in my heart to behold it. I'd not worry about those top notes (that's where I'd guess the subtraction took place). Can't have it, but have enjoyed seeing its image. Oh lucky one who's got the price for it in their pocket.

Edited by Mark Evans

Bob, what are the missing buttons (compared to a 48B)? Do you know why Colin made one with less?

Had quite a few enquiries so please excuse these general notes which hopefully answer all questions - but feel free to ask any others.

The concertina is in extremely good condition and deserves to played more (I have another Dipper English that I won't be selling)

The lowest note on the left side is A top note is E lowest note on right side is G top note is F. I'm not sure why Alistair had specified just the 40 buttons only that I think he didn't want the ones that he hardly ever used (which enabled him to keep the size down) this one measures 6" across.

I am based in Hastings South Coast United Kingdom - but am planning a business trip to Oregon USA in mid April.

In view of the number of enquiries I've had I think the fairest way to sell it is on good old e-bay and plan do put it on in the next week or so will let you and the Concertina Web site know. As it is so rare (with this fret work it's a one off in fact) I am looking for offers in exess of £2000 (around $3500) so will probably be setting the reserve around that and see what happens

Really!

Does anyone deserve a Dipper concertina who hasn't had to wait at least ten years, chewed their nails to quick, had collagen injections to mitigate facial worry lines, been treated for panic, and pawned the family valuables? I ask you! An eBay sale of this magnitude, this scope, and this, this, this utter bigness is heresy, heresy I say, and dire portent for the future of the civilized world!

:)

[As it is so rare (with this fret work it's a one off in fact) I am looking for offers in exess of £2000 (around $3500) so will probably be setting the reserve around that and see what happens

Ooooh, I wish you hadn't said that.

I'd managed to ignore the temptation of thinking about buying it ... now with a (minimum) price dangled before my eyes I find myself assessing my goods (and chattels) for their emergency sale value

... and I'm sure I read that you had 2 !!!!! :o

Chris J

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Bob,

I bid for the Dipper on ebay, didn't win, but have since received a "second chance" message. Bit anxious this might be a scam. Can you confirm (here or via ebay) what's happening?

Well it is possible that the initial buyer dropped out for some reason or other. I would be very wary though if the seller wasn't willing to use paypal.

Then again, I won't buy off of ebay myself, and I don't buy here unless the person has been posting for a while.

--

Bill

Hello Bob,

I bid for the Dipper on ebay, didn't win, but have since received a "second chance" message. Bit anxious this might be a scam. Can you confirm (here or via ebay) what's happening?

James - This is almost certainly a hoax. Report it to ebay. Scams like this are very common on ebay as regards concertinas. The scam seller usually wants you to pay by some direct method - cash or bank check or something similar. If you report it to ebay they will investigate and take appropriate action. Be very careful buying an expensive concertina on ebay sight unseen and buy only from those with proven reputations! Bob

Hello Bob,

James - This is almost certainly a hoax. Report it to ebay. Scams like this are very common on ebay as regards concertinas. The scam seller usually wants you to pay by some direct method - cash or bank check or something similar. If you report it to ebay they will investigate and take appropriate action. Be very careful buying an expensive concertina on ebay sight unseen and buy only from those with proven reputations! Bob

Hi James,

I didn't bid on this but I think I know the buyer. If you don't get anywhere, let me know and I'll phone and ask him

Edited by Paul Read

Hi James and whoever else may read this.

The successful bidder is a chap from Canada (who is delighted) and I certainly have not authorised a second chance offer as we are just sorting out the best shipping route!

I am set up to sell using paypal.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to forward me this "Second Chance Offer" you have received as I'd obviously like to look further into this.

I posted my own e-mail address on the concertina site and quite a few people took the opportunity to contact me directly this way and we went on to have telephone conversations which in the absence of a known presence on an enthusists site is the best way to check someone out. I have friends who are regular contributors who would have provided me a good reference.

Although I am a recent visitor to the Concertina site I certainly resent and find extremely insulting being described by another of the contributors here as "almost certainly" a scam merchant!!!! So to you Bob whoever you are, before you go dishing out character slurs like this, think twice, some people who sell stuff actually are honest decent folk. Any of you can call me at any (reasonable) time you like on Hastings UK 01424 461378 Best regards Bob Tipler. bob@theamericaground.com

Hi James and whoever else may read this.

The successful bidder is a chap from Canada (who is delighted) and I certainly have not authorised a second chance offer as we are just sorting out the best shipping route!

I am set up to sell using paypal.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to forward me this "Second Chance Offer" you have received as I'd obviously like to look further into this.

I posted my own e-mail address on the concertina site and quite a few people took the opportunity to contact me directly this way and we went on to have telephone conversations which in the absence of a known presence on an enthusists site is the best way to check someone out. I have friends who are regular contributors who would have provided me a good reference.

Although I am a recent visitor to the Concertina site I certainly resent and find extremely insulting being described by another of the contributors here as "almost certainly" a scam merchant!!!! So to you Bob whoever you are, before you go dishing out character slurs like this, think twice, some people who sell stuff actually are honest decent folk. Any of you can call me at any (reasonable) time you like on Hastings UK 01424 461378 Best regards Bob Tipler. bob@theamericaground.com

For Bob Tipler - My comment was not for the original seller of the Dipper. It was for the person who made the "second chance" offer to James. My intention was not to insult you or anyone else and I don't fault you for being aggravated if you thought my comment was targeted at you. Please reread my comment to which you responded. I think you'll find that my target was the scammer not the original seller. Regards, Bob

Bob, and others.

Thanks for posting so quickly. I thought this might be the case, hence me tracking down this site and posting here. I've reported it to ebay. You might want to do the same too, as it does none of us any favours if people try things on like this.

Best wishes

James

Sorry, forgot to add the scam -others beware!

---DO NOT REPLY ON THIS EMAIL JUST CONTACT THE SELLER ON THIS:bertsfud@yahoo.co.uk. You expressed interest in an item titled:Dipper English Concertina(Item number:7402712673)by bidding,however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder.In compliance with eBay policy,the seller of that item is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your bid price of £2,800.00.The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has duplicate items for sale.If you accept this offer,you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction,such as fraud protection. ---DO NOT REPLY ON THIS EMAIL JUST CONTACT THE SELLER ON THIS:bertsfud@yahoo.co.uk. To learn more about Second Chance Offer go to:http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/personal_offer.html http://www.ebay.co.uk/

James Fitton

Fair enough Bob though it is possible that if I made this mistake others may have too? Thank you for clarifying the matter and no hard feelings.

Thank you also James I've learnt something and am sure this exchange will be a usefull lesson to others.

Bob Tipler

SDO NOT REPLY ON THIS EMAIL JUST CONTACT THE SELLER ON THIS:bertsfud@yahoo.co.uk. You expressed interest in an item titled:Dipper English Concertina(Item number:7402712673)by bidding,however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder.In compliance with eBay policy,the seller of that item is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your bid price of £2,800.00.The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has duplicate items for sale.If you accept this offer,you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction,such as fraud protection. ---DO NOT REPLY ON THIS EMAIL JUST CONTACT THE SELLER ON THIS:bertsfud@yahoo.co.uk. To learn more about Second Chance Offer go to:http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/personal_offer.html http://www.ebay.co.uk/

As someone who has successfully bought an item (a fretted fiddle) through a second chance offer, I can say that the text above is the text you would receive from eBay if it was a pukka second chance offer. The giveaway of course is the line "DO NOT REPLY ON THIS EMAIL JUST CONTACT THE SELLER ON THIS: bertsfud@yahoo.co.uk" which would never appear in a genuine eBay email.

You have achieved one small, but fitting revenge, though. By posting the culprit's email address bertsfud@yahoo.co.uk you should have ensured that it will be harvested by spammers and the account rendered useless.

Chris