Slow-down Software

I have read on here somewhere about "slow-down" software, so that you can listen to a piece of digital music on your computer in much slower than normal playback and learn the tune.

Which of you have actually used it, and what are your recommendations as to software brands and tips for using it? Are there any free downloads online for it? Is it simple enough that a non-computer expert can easily use it?

I like the Amazing Slowdowner. It's easy to use, and does the job well. I've used it to change keys of tunes and to bring recordings up to standard pitch. It's pretty cool software.

I haven't tried the other programs out there.

Audacity does the job of changing keys and slowing tempo, but I don't know how it compares to other packages.

To me, Audacity doesn't really do well, the sound comes out with lots of noise, and kind of rough. Is this "Amazing Slowdowner" any better?

To me, Audacity doesn't really do well, the sound comes out with lots of noise, and kind of rough. Is this "Amazing Slowdowner" any better?

The Slowerdowner offers much better sound quality, easier controls and more flexibility, but of course it's not free. And the further you get from original pitch, the worse the sound.

But for me, it's been an invaluable program and well worth the $.

I use Transcribe! and have been quite pleased with it. I can't compare it with others, but I've used it to pitch adjust and slow commercial CDs and self-made minidisk recordings and have found nothing to complain about although I will acknowledge that the tones get rougher at very slow speeds. Even at 10% speed one can still easily follow the tones though and I usually don't take things below 25%. As with some of the other slow-down programs it's a free download with a no-fee evaluation period so there's no cost to try it out.

Bruce

I use the Amazing Slowdowner and find it a fantastic tool. One of the best parts of it is that you can select sections of the music and loop it so you can work on particularly difficult parts.

I use it a lot for transcribing music to ABC. It helps me to have written notes to refer to when I work out difficult sections of tunes. It also makes it easier to share tunes with other musicians I play with in sessions. Many of them can use ABC. We find it an easy way to learn each others current favorites. All in all, I don't think you can beat the Amazing Slowdowner from Roni Music!

Edited by Daniel Bradbury

I'm also a big fan of Transcribe, as you can save the alterations into a new file. I didn't like Audcity, buy your mileage may vary :)

Cheers

Morgana

My 2p's worth:

Amazing Slowdowner (ASd) - best quality, not free

Transcribe! - quality less good, not free

Windows Media Player (WMP) - quality so-so, free

Audacity - pretty decent quality, free - not as good for this purpose as the ASd, but to be fair, it's a very different tool with an enormous variety of features, mainly aimed at recording and editing of sound files, very good to produce, splice and merge MP3 files

If I was using it frequently, I'd spend the money on the ASd. Since I'm not (yet), I'm happy using WMP for occasional tempo change and Audacity for when I'm working on MP3s and with recordings, or for more intense practice (you can also loop parts and repeat them ad nauseam...)

Dear Cream-T (Thorsten Ruffle-Brandt, I presume?),

Thanks for explaining all that! I didn't even realize that my Windows Media Player would "slow down," and I can use it right now, today, without going to the store or laying out any cash. I would only use it once in awhile, unless I become addicted.

I'd like to get one of the software packages for my son's birthday gift and looks as though the ASd (Amazing Slowdowner) program would be the best one for someone who would use it a lot. If I have become addicted to slowing down, then my son will share his ASd with me or else I'll buy one for myself.

By the way . . . [off-topic], I had a look at your web sites, and they're fascinating! (Everybody go take a peek!) Amusing -- "Signs That You're a Mediaeval Re-Enactor" on http://www.milwr.org/ and especially "How To Become Chimpunked" (did this actually happen to you!? or is it a short story you're writing?! just hilarious!) on http://www.brumble.net/ . . . [leave off-topic]

Thanks again! :D

Just checked it out:

Open Windows Media Player

Play something, and click on:

View -->

Enhancements -->

Play Speed Settings -->

Move "Play Speed" slider to the speed you want (or click on Slow, Normal, Fast)

To maintain fidelity, pick speeds between 0.5 and 2.0

It works!!!

Thanks again, Thorsten! :D

Edited by greenferry

If you use the free Winamp for MP3s there are three or four different plugins for slowing down the tunes and changing pitch and/or loops etc. Just do a search on google for "winamp 'slow down'". These only work on MP3s. And don't forget to look at some of the online Irish Music schools of which I believe there are at least three that I know of. They have MP3s that are played slower for learners. Good luck. Mike