Small Sound System Needed

Our ceilidh band is looking for our first sound system. Something not too expensive and easily portable, to use when pure acoustic is just not enough. What do you recommend?

Each musician needs his own mic, as the one mic system does not afford enough volume, especially for the smallpipes.

Would a system with two jacks be OK to use by two musicians?

The Fender® Passport P-250 Portable PA Sound System might be just what you are looking for. Check it out at:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Liv...16&src=3SOSWXXA

A great all purpose instrument mic is the Shure SM57.

How many mic inputs do you need? Passport gives you 4.

A nice PA system seems to be exactly what we need, although our amplification requirements are not that much yet. Four inputs would cover us very well. I think the Pignose series might be good, but each musician would need his own amp, which is fine as we all do solo gigs too. Thanks for the info!

Make sure you get what you need. There is no monitor system with the Fender, or any other system for that price. There could/will be some nasty suprises in timing without one depending upon the space you perform in. A succesful monitor requires its own amplifier so you can boost it to whatever level you need without feedback.

4 inputs is very basic and can quickly be outgrown. I'd opt for 8 inputs. Jodys suggestion for SM57s is very sound. They mic most instruments in almost any situation. Do you sing, or have someone call a dance from time to time? Then a couple of SM58s would also be wise.

Think about a system that includes stands for the main speakers. Getting them off the ground will cure a world of volume and EQ ills.

A system with a graphic EQ can also save your event as well. Having a room that feeds back on a mid-range G can be a nightmare!

I realize I'm talking more money here, but think about it. One can outgrow a system very fast and then your investment is gone and hard to recoup.

Look into Peavy. Their equipment is built strong and takes alot of abuse.

Bon chance!

Edited by Mark Evans

Our ceilidh band is looking for our first sound system. Something not too expensive and easily portable, to use when pure acoustic is just not enough. What do you recommend?

Look at http://www.hkaudio.com/. The lucas audio system is available in different version. Very good sound. I had Marlon Klein (Dissidenten) and Ester Bertram (australian folksinger) and Manickham Yogeswaran (Tamile singer) playing at our stage (http://flensburgerfolkverein.here.de) and they brought the audiosystem with (some photos http://home.foni.net/~klaus-guhl/HierSpiel...%20Gerdsen.htm) 3 persons, some more mikros, a notebook and a guitar all over the small PA and a very clear sound in a 300 people room. This is what I would buy, also easy to carry in a small car.

The Fender® Passport P-250 Portable PA Sound System might be just what you are looking for. Check it out at:

A great all purpose instrument mic is the Shure SM57.

How many mic inputs do you need? Passport gives you 4.

Agree with Jody; the Passport is a very nice system, very portable and easy to use.

Do not go with fewer than 4 inputs; it's amazing, how one's needs seem to grow once you start fooling around with sound systems.

My only concern about the Passport: not sure it has built in EQ, which can make it harder to achieve proper hall and monitor levels without feedback.

And my other recommendation is this: pay at least as much attention to finding good stage monitors. A killer PA with inadequate monitors is a waste of money; you won't be able to hear yourself play.

The Shure SM57s are as good as anything out there for use with concertinas, also work great with fretted instruments, and they're widely and inexpensively available.

It would be worth going for a small (say 8 -12) input mixer. These are relatively cheap but give you great flexibility. Go for one with an output for a slave ampm, this can then be used for foldback. We used to use this system in my band (Two Left Feet) for dances and it worked well. As the mixer does not have its own amplifier you can feed it into a power amp to give you as much volume as you need! I used a 'Quad' amp with 'Peavey' speakers. The floor monitors were a godsend for the band as only my concertina was miked through it, not my voice mic for calling!

I got all of mine second-hand, much cheaper than buying a system new! They tend to be very robust so there was never an issue with maintenance, but I always took a soldering iron and screwdrivers to gigs! You can't charge people and then break down half way through their wedding reception, just not professional!

Chris

One option is to buy two self-powered 10 inch EON JBL speakers with a something like a small Mackie 12 channel mixer (with 4 Preamps). You might want small, mic stand, self powered personal monitors also since the EON speakers are powerful for a larger venue. Mike