Metal End Lachenal Info Needed..........

Hello there, my first concertina is a 20 key 1870 c/g lachenal.Wanting a 30 key and saving and learning about concertinas, ive stumbled across a metal end 30 key lachenal c/g ser.no...141730 from a used music store.Here is what I saw, bellows need replacement,all bone buttons work and notes sound,will need new pads and valves reeds look good and reed pan dosent seem warped.It pays pretty good considering the gashes in the bellows.He wants $400.00 as is.What will the costs be for repad and valves and tune with new bellow be and who will do it.....Should I let it go or buy it as is and have it overhauled orrrrr....keep saving and buy one rebuilt allready from a concertina dealer...Anymore questions please ask,Thank you Tom

In a perfect world it is better to keep on saving and get a conditioned instrument.

In real world of musical instruments, if you are keen listener, it is the sound that matters.

If you are happy with the sound of Stagi or Hohner, save up.

If you like the sound of the one you found - buy it.

I still kick myself for sending F/Bb 20 button back to the seller. Wonderful, superb sound and gashed bellows.

Don't compare the prices of different instruments. You may be happier with a cheaper one. I, for example, am not too hot about the shrill metal ended C./G. Bottom line Brass reeded are for me. Otherwise I'd better stick with the Uke.

Hi Tom,

I would ballpark your expenses at around $1000 to have the 30b Lachenal put right. That's assuming all it needs is a tuning, a good set of bellows, pads, valves and perhaps straps.

Perhaps your biggest problem will be finding someone to do the work and in a timely fashion. Wouldn't a great set of Rosalie Dipper bellows make it player!? But I've heard rumors that Colin is no longer doing repair. Not sure if Rosalie will make bellows for outside work. The Button Box could fix you up or perhaps Bob Tedrow. David Leese in Wales could also restore the box. The Concertina Connection, Roy Whitely or John Conner might be other possibilities.

It will take months to schedule and complete the work.

Are you the kind of person who does not mind waiting and then enjoys having a restored classic?

Or would you rather be playing and practicing on a different playable 30b that you purchased for your $1500?

Your money will be tied up for awhile as the instrument is repaired.

Some Lachenals can be world class. Others are only so so. There are no guaranties.

But if everthing went right, in six months you might have a good instrument that you might need to spend $2500 to $3000 to buy in playing condition from a dealer or shop.

Roll those concertina dice!

Best of luck,

Greg

Thank you for the input,I am also concerned about the model some lachenals were cheap like the low end mahogany ones compaired to the rosewood.This one the metal ends go all the way to the end covering the entire action box and the keys are bone not metal is this a cheap model of the metal lachenals.Thanks Tom

I have two metal-ended bone-buttoned Lachenals that are 32 button instruments, a C/G and a Bb/F.

The C/G has the fastest response of any concertina that I've played, and both have a very nice tone.

As built, they had 5 fold bellows and I would recommend a 7 or 8 fold as a replacement.

Robin Madge

Here's my suggestion; if it seems roughly in tune buy a bellows set (and Dave Elliot's Concertina maintenance book) from David Leese, and fit it yourself; not too challenging. Live with the rest (valves and pads as well until they're shown to be defective) until you're driven up the wall by something. Then mend it. 'Cheap' route...

Dirge Posted Today, 08:04 AM

Here's my suggestion; if it seems roughly in tune buy a bellows set (and Dave Elliot's Concertina maintenance book) from David Leese, and fit it yourself; not too challenging. Live with the rest (valves and pads as well until they're shown to be defective) until you're driven up the wall by something. Then mend it. 'Cheap' route...

I like Dirge's suggestion. $400. for the concertina. $200. for bellows. (I would suggest replacing the valves so you get a good idea of the reeds' true response. Material cost $30.) Pads as needed. (Material cost for complete replacement pads $35.) A bit of sweat and table work. Then you can decide if this is a concertina you'd like to live with for a while. If so, get it tuned by a professional. If it turns out not to be the concertina for you, then I would think someone on ebay may answer the challenge for what you have in the instrument.

Again, all the above is dependent upon your willingness to do the grunt work and defer playing gratification until the repairs are done. And there is the chance you may miss potential problems that will require additional time and money to repair.

Best of luck,

Greg

Edited to correct faulty math.

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Before you jump one way or the other, can you confirm two things:

Are the reeds Brass or steel? Lachenal usually stamped 'steel reeds' on one of the 'handles', if that is appropriate.

Is the instrument in modern pitch? If not then that is another expense point. If its steel reeds THEN GET IT NOW!

Then worry about repair details,

Dave