Wanted - Good Anglo Concertina To Learn On (first Timer)

Calgary John

I've been watching e-bay and these pages for a while now in an attempt to make my first purchase of an Anglo a good choice. I've never played and would like to take up this as a way to relax and escape the stress of daily life. The more I research the more frustrated I get with what's available on e-bay vs. what is sold for 'new' on some of the typical musical "web-stores".

I'm trying to stay in a budget, but don't want a unit that will give poor sound or is difficult to work with. Likewise, I don't want to be the next dupe in a e-bay scam or spend a fortune for an overpriced toy.

If I wait for the "right one" what should I be waiting for?

The learned advice of those on this site is appreciated. And, of course, if you have a reputable instrument of reasonable price that you would be willing to part with to help me out with my 'first anglo' I would be most appreciative.

John

I've been watching e-bay and these pages for a while now in an attempt to make my first purchase of an Anglo a good choice. I've never played and would like to take up this as a way to relax and escape the stress of daily life. The more I research the more frustrated I get with what's available on e-bay vs. what is sold for 'new' on some of the typical musical "web-stores".

I'm trying to stay in a budget, but don't want a unit that will give poor sound or is difficult to work with. Likewise, I don't want to be the next dupe in a e-bay scam or spend a fortune for an overpriced toy.

The learned advice of those on this site is appreciated. And, of course, if you have a reputable instrument of reasonable price that you would be willing to part with to help me out with my 'first anglo' I would be most appreciative.

John

Hi John,

Welcome on board. What is your price range? That should help people advise you.

Paul's question about your price range is a good one. But I'd add that you're taking a big gamble if you bid on an ebay concertina without knowing what you're doing. (It's often a gamble even if you do know what you're doing!)

Daniel

John

Hi John,

my advice is to wait. i recently put in an order for a midi concertina with wim wakker, and i asked him when the rochelle starter anglo would be available. he said that the prototype is done and he was hoping that they'll be in production by april. he said that getting the instrument to work right took longer than expected, but now that the prototype is done it won't be long before they're available. he was also pretty sure that these instruments would be less than us$300. wim wakker can be contacted through the concertina connection web-site ( http://www.concertinaconnection.com/ )

this topic has been discussed quite a bit here, but it's kind of hard to find what you're looking for using the search feature on this site.

Hi John,

Price range is $300 to $500. After a lot of looking this seems to put me in the ballpark for something that is reasonable but not a 'professional' piece of kit.

John.

my advice is to wait. i recently put in an order for a midi concertina with wim wakker, and i asked him when the rochelle starter anglo would be available. he said that the prototype is done and he was hoping that they'll be in production by april. he said that getting the instrument to work right took longer than expected, but now that the prototype is done it won't be long before they're available. he was also pretty sure that these instruments would be less than us$300. wim wakker can be contacted through the concertina connection web-site ( http://www.concertinaconnection.com/ )

this topic has been discussed quite a bit here, but it's kind of hard to find what you're looking for using the search feature on this site.

Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like the type of instrument that I would be considering.

I appreciate your advice!

John

Chris - I've dropped an e-mail to Wim and hopefully I'll recieve some more info on this concertina. Early in my research I came across the Jack and Jackie - both looked very good with the exception they were English instead of Anglo.

I'm very impressed with the workmanship of their concertinas (of course all I've done is look at photo's and done considerable reading).

I'll be holding on to my cash until this unit is available - it looks like the best bet for me.

Thanks again for the advice (well timed - I was going to bid on a Stagi on e-bay).

Best regards,

John

$500 can buy you a 20 button Anglo Lachenal. Not bad. Then you can sell it and upgrade to 30 button Anglo, if you want. You can be already playing, when WW's Rochelle arrives. Then you can trade-in, or sell your Lachenal on Ebay or anywhere and buy the Rochelle. You'll probably find it rather inferior to Lachenal in many aspects, except the chromaticity.

Or, if your price range is no joke, and can't go above $500, you can "chromatize' your 20 button and be able to play melody chromatically in any key, and just stick to it.

Another solution is 24 button instruments, with 6 buttons per row. They can be more expencive, but still cheaper than 30 button. The only thing I'd recommend on them, is to replace lowest button on G row with Bb/C#. With this arrangement you can forget about 30 button alltogether.

$500 can buy you a 20 button Anglo Lachenal.

I've been wary of purchasing some of the 'older' instruments as I'm not too sure how well they would hold up in the climate that I live in. Calgary, Canada is known for being a very dry climate and not being too kind to some types of wood. That being said, if I were to look to purchase a Lachenal what (if anything) should I be concerned with? Purchasing over the net is the "buyer beware" zone - and if you don't ask the right questions (or don't know what the right questions are) you can get ripped off fairly easily.

Thanks again for your help!

John

$500 can buy you a 20 button Anglo Lachenal.

I've been wary of purchasing some of the 'older' instruments as I'm not too sure how well they would hold up in the climate that I live in. Calgary, Canada is known for being a very dry climate and not being too kind to some types of wood. That being said, if I were to look to purchase a Lachenal what (if anything) should I be concerned with? Purchasing over the net is the "buyer beware" zone - and if you don't ask the right questions (or don't know what the right questions are) you can get ripped off fairly easily.

Thanks again for your help!

John

for vintage instruments, chris algar and the button box are both very reputable dealers. chris algar is probably the only dealer with a very extensive selection. but neither of these dealers will have anything in your price range. any 20 button lachenal you get for under $500 is going to have a lot of problems. i spoke with chris algar on the phone once and he's very honest and helpful and there's always the possibility that he has the exact instrument you're looking for in you price range. he can be reached at http://www.concertina.co.uk/

While you're waiting for the one from Wim, I have a chinese box that 'works'. Got it from another forum member. Something to play while you wait, pm or email me if you're interested....$100 shipped (US).

Lars

I bought my 20 button with brass reeds from Chris Algar for under $500. Not bad at all. Sure, some reeds are more windy, than another, and there is one, that speaks too quietly, etc. But it still is better than any chinese job. Mainly because the tone of the instrument is so much better. The feel, the crafsmanship are better too.

My Lachenal is represented in the tunes page, look for "Forgotten".

I'm sure if you buy something from Chris, then save up, you can trade-in with Chris. The only problem is if he is in UK and you're in th US. Chris doesn't accept Paypal, and to pay him in Pounds will cost you additional money and inconvinience.

I bought my 20 button with brass reeds from Chris Algar for under $500.

Good feedback for Chris Algar. Thank you. I've seen more than a few Lachenal 20 buttons that claim to have been 'restored' selling on e-bay. I understand that these instruments (in general) will give better sound quality than the cheap Chinese ones. I don't mind doing a bit of work on one if it needs it (I'm fairly mechanical and not afraid of tweaking things if required), but what are the down sides of going this route - getting a 'restored' unit from an e-bay seller (scams aside of course)? Anyone care to share their experiences with buying an instrument this way and having to 'tweak' things themselves?

• 4 months later...
While you're waiting for the one from Wim, I have a chinese box that 'works'. Got it from another forum member. Something to play while you wait, pm or email me if you're interested....$100 shipped (US).

Lars

is this still for sale? maybe "bear" wants it. (replying to make the topic come to the top.)

While you're waiting for the one from Wim

I got an email from Wim today - the first of the Rochelle's are shipping to those who pre-ordered. Looks like the first batch are sold out but he's due to get monthly deliveries of batches through to December, so hopefully not long to wait for those missed by the first shipment, or those ordering now.

- W

I certainly would back up the recomandation of Chris Algar of Barleycorn Concertinas. To the best of my knowledge (actually having done business with him on a beautiful 72 K Aeola Crane) he's to be trusted. If you come across any of his eBay listings, it's under the Cocoa111 seller name. Quite often he has good starter boxes for sale, restored and in concert pitch. Recently a couple of Jones' one 20 K and one 26 K.

The Rochelle boxes - without having tried any of them - is made to Wim's specifications in China - hence the price. They could be very good starters, but I'd put my money on a good vintage Lachenal or Jones from Chris Algar. Cheers/Lars

I certainly would back up the recomandation of Chris Algar of Barleycorn Concertinas. To the best of my knowledge (actually having done business with him on a beautiful 72 K Aeola Crane) he's to be trusted. If you come across any of his eBay listings, it's under the Cocoa111 seller name. Quite often he has good starter boxes for sale, restored and in concert pitch. Recently a couple of Jones' one 20 K and one 26 K.

The Rochelle boxes - without having tried any of them - is made to Wim's specifications in China - hence the price. They could be very good starters, but I'd put my money on a good vintage Lachenal or Jones from Chris Algar. Cheers/Lars

I'm looking forward to trying my Rochelle when it arrives but I can also vouch for Chris Algar. I bought a 26 button G/D Jones from him that was exactly as he described (including the limitations of the instrument which he pointed out) and is a decent instrument in good condition.

- W