Hastings Jack-in-the-green April 28 - May 1

I'm going to the Hastings Jack-in-the-Green festival with some friends (April 28 through May 1), and was wondering if anybody on C.net has been to it before and would know if there are venues at the festival where there are likely to be concertina players (apart from the Morris dancing). My only experience with folk festivals in the UK is Sidmouth, and I seem to recall there were various spots around the town where one could find concertina and melodeon jam sessions. If anyone knows of some likely places, please let me know!

jdancers.jpg

Edited by greenferry

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be there with weald of kent morris on may day itself on the monday. We do our 5:31am dance and tour in goudhurst then, after a hearty "full english" pile into a minibus to take us down to Hastings (25 minutes away).

As for sessions there are usually organised sessions on the Friday evening and the Saturday afternoon/early evening. these are usually publicised via leaflets and the jack of the green website. There is a member of this forum who lives in hastings who plays a rather fine jeffries - I'll ask him if there are any "unofficial" sessions and post the information here.

If you want a drink in a "proper pub" I can recommend the stag in all saints street in the old town, there will more than likely be musicians there as well throughout the weekend.

Jack of the green isn't like a "normal" folk festival the website should tell you this. The heart of the festivities is lots and lots of people dressed in and dyed green, banging huge drums - you don't want to get in there way!

Maybe see you down there :) Although last year was a full on beer festival and things got a bit messy. At one point we danced "Ring o'Bells", and things were going fine until the foreman called the hay the second time :blink:

Edited by Peter Brook

Peter,

Thank you for writing back with all the fine details! I am staying with relatives of friends in Hastings, and have high hopes of doing May Morn at 5 AM, but I don't think anybody else in our crowd will be up at that hour. I don't know how far it is to Goudhurst, but I'd surely like to go. If I can't walk there, I'll be with you in spirit!

I will look for the flyers, the Stag, and of course, the Jack!

Edited by greenferry

I will not be there. I will instead be at my local festival - the Rochester Sweeps Festival, which covers the same dates. Rochester also has a Jack-in-the Green, usually awakened at dawn on Mayday on Blue Bell Hill, and then processed into the City.

Kettle Bridge Clogs will be dancing at Rochester on Saturday 29th April. Also, they have their May Day ceremony at the civilised time of 7:00 pm, with a procession over the Kettle Bridge, which crosses the river Medway at Barming near Maidstone. The procession is followed by dancing at the site, then more dancing and a jovial evening at the Bull inn at Barming on the A26 Maidstone to Tonbridge road.

- John Wild

I'll be there with weald of kent morris on may day itself on the monday.

I saw your website for Weald of Kent, is that yourself on the left? Will you be bringing your hooden horse along to Hastings on one of the days of the festival (which day, and where?)? I don't believe there's a team in the states that has one. (Anybody know?)

Morris%20Lamberhurst%20song2.JPG

Weald%20Mayday%20dawn%204.JPG

Edited by greenferry

Hey Barbara!

That's me - I didn't even know those pictures existed! On the first one I'm accompanying Alan who is singing "Sweet Fanny Adams" a song written by the "two leslies" in the mid 1930s. It was immediattely banned on it's release! Though the words are very tame by modern standards.

The second picture is of our May Day morning stand in Goudhurst taken as the clock shows at about 5:46 am! Clive is leading off "The Saturday Night". In past years we have had a tuba and a hulican in the band alongside the instruments you see here!

The Hodden Horse will definitely be in attendance at Hastings - we just can't get rid of it! :blink: :lol:

I'll probably be in the Stag on the saturday or/and sunday but the morris side won't be out until May Day. We'll probably dance on the chequer board and around the old town. I've not got in touch with Brian yet but I'll try and speak to him in the next few days about likely sessions.

When are you planning to arrive in the UK?

When are you planning to arrive in the UK?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for writing back. I will look for your gig on the Monday, around "the checkerboard" and the old town. Assuming the people I'm with will go to the Stag, which seems likely if it's the main hangout, perhaps I'll see you perform there on one of those nights. I think we're doing the Copper Family and Shirley Collins, and perhaps the ceilidh, but the rest is whatever happens. My friend's husband is on Hammersmith, so we will probably spend some time enjoying the Morris wherever they may be. I'm arriving Wed. then heading down to Hastings Friday till Monday. We went to Padstow a couple of years ago and had a memorable time, and I'm looking forward to this gathering.

Barbara

That's me - I didn't even know those pictures existed! On the first one I'm accompanying Alan who is singing "Sweet Fanny Adams" a song written by the "two leslies" in the mid 1930s. It was immediattely banned on it's release! Though the words are very tame by modern standards.

Hi Peter,

I presume that this song relates to the murder of Fanny Adams (see link below) who was buried in Alton cemetery, as are several members of my family.

http://www.hants.gov.uk/museum/curtis/fannyadams/index.html

Regards,

Peter.

I shall be there, since I live here in Hastings anyway! I'll be dancing with Mad Jack's Morris and you'll be quite welcome to join us at 05:00 on top of the West Hill when we dance in the dawn on May 1st with the other local teams and any others who can be bothered to get up. Watching the sun rise over the East Hill, should we be lucky enough, is something really special.

Yes, the Stag is one place to go, there's always music going on there. Or also the Royal Standard (sea front) on Friday night and the Duke Of Wellington (High Street) on Sunday lunchtime are worth visiting. Also the Jennie Lind (High Street) and for the beer festival go to the First In Last Out (Filo) also in the High Street.

I'm hoping the the other man mentioned (Bryan) will be around since he's just got his recently acquired Wheatstone anglo back from renovations with Andy Norman and I want to try it out.

If you want to know anything else, please contact me off line at mail@alanjeffries.co.uk.

Alan Jeffries

St. Leonards-On-Sea

East Sussex

"Sweet Fanny Adams" a song written by the "two leslies" in the mid 1930s.

Hi Peter,

I presume that this song relates to the murder of Fanny Adams (see link below) who was buried in Alton cemetery, as are several members of my family.

http://www.hants.gov.uk/museum/curtis/fannyadams/index.html

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

No this is a frivalous song - music hall rather than folk - I've posted the words below -

I’m fed up with missing the madam

I’m fed up with love & romance

The fault wasn’t sweet Fanny Adams

The birds didn’t give us a chance

Chorus

Sweet Fanny Adams, blithe & gay

On the old apple tree in the orchard

We carved our names in May

But woodpeckers came in September

And the woodpeckers would peck away

Now all you can see on the old apple tree

Is sweet F A

I said to my Fanny with feeling

Lets park in this field for romance

I whispered with passion “your reeling”

She said “no it’s ants in my pants”

Chorus

Those sun bathing times now are ending

Few more orchard days now remain

The chilly times they are wending

Now winter draws on again

Chorus

I shall be there, since I live here in Hastings anyway! I'll be dancing with Mad Jack's Morris and you'll be quite welcome to join us at 05:00 on top of the West Hill when we dance in the dawn on May 1st with the other local teams and any others who can be bothered to get up. Watching the sun rise over the East Hill, should we be lucky enough, is something really special.

Alan,

Thanks for writing back. Looks as though there will be lots of great places to hear off-schedule music! Thanks for all the details and the names of the places. I'm sure my friends know all of them, as they have gone there for many years now. I don't know if they do the 5:00 AM or not, but I am hoping I might convince at least one of them to drive out to the Hill. That would be lovely to see the sun rise, "Should we be lucky enough."

Looks as though Mad Jack's is the main hosting team for the Jack in the Green, having revived the custom in either 1979 or 1983 (depending on the source), of the death of Old Man Winter and rebirth of the Green Man in the Spring (Jack) along with his guards, some Herne the Hunter-type figures in green rags (the Bogeymen), who sponge green paint on spectators who get too close. There are also some medieval-style 12-foot wicker / papier-mache "Giants," along with blackened "sweeps," and some "tricksters," as well as numerous half-naked barbarians running along behind them with sticks, and lots of drums. Mad Jack's also has a horse (hobby horse or hooden horse?) with "snapping jaws" (must be hooden horse), named "Lintel." Drinking begins at dawn, but the "serious drinking" begins mid-day. A good description of the event is here

dscf0024.jpeg

The Castle looks to be an excellent place for massed Morris:

hurst2.jpg

Mad Jacks' has both a Ladies' side and a Men's side. The Bonfire Night in November and the Mummer's Play in December look like a lot of fun!

Mad Jack's musicians (is that yourself, Alan, third from the left with the concertina?):

source:

post-1501-1142603998_thumb.jpg post-1501-1142604048_thumb.jpg

Edited by greenferry

I have some friends who always bring their giant - a goddess (Morwen? not sure of the name at the moment) . Look for a huge giant puppet woman in black, attended by ravens.

I wish I could be there!

I wish you could come along, too! I will find the Goddess and take some photos. Whether She be there in a Giant or not, I'm sure She'll be there at Dawn! Have a merry one at Mt. Monadnock!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping the the other man mentioned (Bryan) will be around since he's just got his recently acquired Wheatstone anglo back from renovations with Andy Norman and I want to try it out.

If you want to know anything else, please contact me off line at mail @ alanjeffries.co.uk.

Alan Jeffries

St. Leonards-On-Sea

East Sussex

I saw Bryan yesterday and managed a very quick squeeze on both his boxes - very jealous but thoroughly enjoyed the chance to play such quality instruments. As for sessions, Bryan mentioned the Royal Standard for Friday night, with Jenny Lind, Pier Hotel and FiLo for Saturday. He also said that Alan is one of the "organisers" :D

Another musician confirmed that the Stag on Friday night is also excellent although you need to be there by 7:30 pm to get a seat (if you want to play). Also the landlord is moving on soon so he is unsure what will happen with the regular tuesday night session :(

I also found another website which I think more closely reflects the bizzare stuff that goes on at Jack-in-the-Green . This is a safe link :blink:

all the best,

Peter

PS I added spaces to Alan's details to limit spam

I also found another website which I think more closely reflects the bizzare stuff that goes on at Jack-in-the-Green .

That's a pretty amazing website, "The Gay Bogies," and the announcement of "the birth of the dreaded "Gay Bogie Grab"... "Quake with fear you dogs, as votes come in for 2006!"

Hmmm ... Does show some spirit!

I also found another website which I think more closely reflects the bizzare stuff that goes on at Jack-in-the-Green .

That's a pretty amazing website, "The Gay Bogies," and the announcement of "the birth of the dreaded "Gay Bogie Grab"... "Quake with fear you dogs, as votes come in for 2006!"

Hmmm ... Does show some spirit!

Yep if you see them don't make eye contact - unless you want to be "green" yourself :lol: :lol: