'second Chance' Scam

trickcyclist

Hello all, and my first post on the forum is about nearly being scammed. Just looking down the listings this seems to be a familiar topic...

I responded briefly to the email address in the 'italian jefferies' scam mentioned below. I kind of twigged it wasn't genuine and reported it anyway. (I'm a little ebay naive, but not stupid, you know?)

Then I bid on a G/D Lachenal anglo, which Chris Algar won.

The following day i received an absolutely genuine looking 'second chance bid' email saying that the buyer had dropped out and I could now buy the anglo for my maximum bid. All the links went to genuine ebay sites. This was a really tempting offer, so I replied asking for more info.

Today I received another similar 'second chance' email, which didn't look quite as genuine.

The seller and ebay both confirmed them as spoofs, and the seller suggested I post on here. The only give away was the send address wasn't from ebay, which the mail tried to explain away as the message coming from the seller.

I think they got my email address from my reply to the jefferies scam, which in retrospect was foolish. Now I assume they're watching the listings and monitoring the bidding that's going on to look for likely targets. Fortunately, they don't seem to have a foolproof system, as the second email was a bit of a give away.

I think I'm going to open a back up email account for ebay only, which will make it clear that any ebay stuff going to my main address is spoof.

So, anyone got a nice anglo to sell....?

Further to trickcyclist's report - I (being the seller of the said box) have since contacted all bidders through eBay to alert them of this scam. If we can nip just one in the bud, then it'll be worthwhile.

Thanks to trickcyclist for letting me know of this, and I hope he's sucessful in his search for a suitable box - I'll let you know if I hear of one!

> I think they got my email address from my reply to the jefferies scam, which in retrospect was foolish.

I made a bid on the same D/G concertina and I had (probably the same) two lachenal scam spams. I did not react earlier to any jeffries scam. I think that someone is just checking the Ebay bid history and somehow they have a way to retrieve my email address in ebay's database(?) I am just wondering: how could they ever have gotten my email address another way? perhaps my nick is connected to my email address somewhere out on the internet? I checked that and it is not...

I tried to proceed to get to know more about how this "seller" works, so I asked for name address, phone number and ebay nick name. Then the "seller" asked for many personal details. He also suggested that I would receive the package over TNT, pay over western union transaction and then (eventually) send it back and money would be refunded when it is not what I expect. The funny thing is that I expect that it is not the lachenal G/D concertina on ebay, so, I would'nt even have the right to claim a refund...

I thought about bidding on the G/D Lachenal too and corresponded with the seller but didn't bid in the end. And re the Jeffries scam, I did send an e-mail to the ebay account owner (not to the e-mail address in the text in the listing) and got a message back in Italian saying "this is not my item". I notified ebay and was then even contacted by ebay investigators seeking information a couple of times, which is a first for me.

Regarding how the scammer contacted you guys, it's possible to look at a bid history, click on a bidder's ID, then click "Contact Member" to send the bidder an e-mail message. The e-mail will come through the ebay system and appear on ebay letterhead. If the bidder uses the Reply function of their e-mail to respond to that message, then the sender will have the bidder's direct e-mail address. Could that be what happened to you?

Daniel

> I think they got my email address from my reply to the jefferies scam, which in retrospect was foolish.

I made a bid on the same D/G concertina and I had (probably the same) two lachenal scam spams. I did not react earlier to any jeffries scam. I think that someone is just checking the Ebay bid history and somehow they have a way to retrieve my email address in ebay's database(?) I am just wondering: how could they ever have gotten my email address another way? perhaps my nick is connected to my email address somewhere out on the internet? I checked that and it is not...

I tried to proceed to get to know more about how this "seller" works, so I asked for name address, phone number and ebay nick name. Then the "seller" asked for many personal details. He also suggested that I would receive the package over TNT, pay over western union transaction and then (eventually) send it back and money would be refunded when it is not what I expect. The funny thing is that I expect that it is not the lachenal G/D concertina on ebay, so, I would'nt even have the right to claim a refund...

Edited by Daniel Hersh

I had a similar experience once. I'd bid on an Edgley (this was before I had mine), didn't win it, and got quite a convincing email a day later from someone I'd never heard from before saying they had an Edgley just like the one I'd bid on that they'd let me have for the selling price.

I forwarded it to ebay and to Frank, both of whom confirmed it was a scam.

I sure to hate to see people taken in like this, though...

I thought about bidding on the G/D Lachenal too and corresponded with the seller but didn't bid in the end. And re the Jeffries scam, I did send an e-mail to the ebay account owner (not to the e-mail address in the text in the listing) and got a message back in Italian saying "this is not my item". I notified ebay and was then even contacted by ebay investigators seeking information a couple of times, which is a first for me.

Regarding how the scammer contacted you guys, it's possible to look at a bid history, click on a bidder's ID, then click "Contact Member" to send the bidder an e-mail message. The e-mail will come through the ebay system and appear on ebay letterhead. If the bidder uses the Reply function of their e-mail to respond to that message, then the sender will have the bidder's direct e-mail address. Could that be what happened to you?

Daniel

Daniel

This has happened to me every time I bid on an instrument on ebay. Shortly after the conclusion of the sale, I receive an email(s) notifying me that the top bidder has reneged and that the instrument can be mine for my original bid. Provided, that is, that I'm willing to bypass Paypal and send cash... I've also received convincing phishing emails after these sales, supposedly from ebay, stating that my account has been defrauded and that I need to send them personal info, including credit card numbers! Ebay never asks for credit information when setting up a bid account!!!

Unfortunately, the internet in general and ebay in particular attract all sorts of bottom feeders. Don't fall for their cons! LF