Concertina Case

Dear Group,

Just ordered myself a new Marcus G/D concertina.

Friend of mine.......who is into furniture restoration is keen on the idea of building me an antique looking case. He's offered to build me one in walnut. Judging by the furniture that he makes, I'll probably end up with a case that's far better than the concertina.

We're wondering though....has anybody got a picture of one of those old cases? Particularly interested in seeing how the hinge and lid works.

Phil

Dear Group,

Friend of mine.......who is into furniture restoration is keen on the idea of building me an antique looking case. He's offered to build me one in walnut. Judging by the furniture that he makes, I'll probably end up with a case that's far better than the concertina.

We're wondering though....has anybody got a picture of one of those old cases? Particularly interested in seeing how the hinge and lid works.

Phil

I've got one but it's in North America ;) Seriously, you really don't want to use one of the old style cases. You need one that lays on its side so that the instrument sits horizontally. Also, its easy to damage the bellows sliding it in and out of the case. If you go with hexagonal its best to design it so that the handle is on the side and the instrument splits in half (I've got a nice one from Ireland that does this). Otherwise a well blocked rectangular box is advisable. A walnut case should help build your muscles anyway :D

Edited by Paul Read

Phil

Here's one I made from Ash, Note the catches round the side to aviod the awkward angle you would get on the front. Inside there are hinged arms each side to stop the lid opening too far back, and blocks which press on the end plates to keep the bellows snug. In it's resting position the concertina is the right way up so the 'bits' all hang down and you can lift it out without straining the bellows.

Pete

post-82-1142285500_thumb.jpg

Edited by Peter Stephenson

I agree with Paul. I've got an old one too which I've had to repair way too many times.

Daniel

Dear Group,

Phil

I've got one but it's in North America ;) Seriously, you really don't want to use one of the old style cases. You need one that lays on its side so that the instrument sits horizontally. Also, its easy to damage the bellows sliding it in and out of the case. If you go with hexagonal its best to design it so that the handle is on the side and the instrument splits in half (I've got a nice one from Ireland that does this). Otherwise a well blocked rectangular box is advisable. A walnut case should help build your muscles anyway :D

I suggest that you get a squarish one as it's not as liable to roll off a table when nudged and can be stacked with other stuff easier (like in your car trunk). The small extra space in square ones is ideal for keeping some writing implements, a digital tune sucker, note paper, the all-important screwdriver....

Having read the criticism of the old style of heagonal case, I decided to go for a rectangular (well, really cubical) style when I made this case out of walnut last fall. The stock I had lying around was 3/4" thick, so the case is rather badly overbuilt. Most of the time plywood would be more reasonable than the mortise and tennoned panels I used here!

post-1317-1142287644_thumb.jpg post-1317-1142287702_thumb.jpg

Having read the criticism of the old style of heagonal case, I decided to go for a rectangular (well, really cubical) style when I made this case out of walnut last fall. The stock I had lying around was 3/4" thick, so the case is rather badly overbuilt. Most of the time plywood would be more reasonable than the mortise and tennoned panels I used here!

That's an amazing piece of work!

Larry, that is gorgeous, but it must weigh a few pounds!

I like yours, Peter, - does it roll around a lot?

Edited to add, enjoy your Marcus, Phil! I loved mine- but yes, you will need a good case!

Edited by Animaterra

Alison

My octagonal box would tent to roll more than a hexagonal one so I am carefull to place it under a bench or back in the rucksack after making sure everyone has seen the workmanship. the red cord is an added securtiy feature which I sometines place under a chair leg to stop it rolling out the door ond down the lane.

Pete.

(This is my first post. Last januari I bought my Lachenal EC from Chris Algar. Since then I've been reading a lot in this forum. Thanks a lot, all of you, for all the invaluable information and the good atmosphere in which you (we?) share the joy of playing concertina.)

Last weekend I finished my 3,5 mm leather case.

Chris gave me a gigbag, but a case like this does my new treasure more honour, I'd say.

post-1580-1142448259_thumb.jpg post-1580-1142449303_thumb.jpg

I followed a Wheatstone instruction I found, quoted by Stephen Chambers in another topic on this subject:

"The corners, with number and name label, point to the bottom of case, and the thumb strap buttons flat to the back. This position is most beneficial, as it tends to keep the valves in proper place, and the instrument in good order."

Leonard