Concertinas In Art

Maybe her name is "M'Hohner Lisa".

Sorry about that.

Brian Vallely from Armagh has painted some fascinating pictures of traditional musicians - many including his son Niall on concertina. really beautiful work - great energy - he brings the musician to life like no other.

Ciaran O'Grady

Kildare

Howdy:

And of course there is the art of the greeting card.

post-168-1165329142_thumb.jpg

It's amazing how many of these kinds of things are out there and how often the image of a concertina has been used in popular culture.

What's even more amazing is how often the concertina has been mistaken for an accordion in popular culture.

And what's equally amazing is how often accordion is misspelled as accordian.

Have fun.

Perry Werner

New Joisy, USA

PS: Yes the concertina does move back and forth when you pull the little tab on the right hand side.

Edited by Perry Werner

Hmm - can't really put my finger on it, but I think David's is a fake :D

That's right. Everyone knows that Mona played an English ;)
Interestingly enough, my son drew up a bunch of concertina cartoons a few years ago, with this being one of them:

MonaLisa.gif

Note that she's playing an ENGLISH and that she does have "concertina face". Pretty insightful from a kid that doesn't play....

-- Rich --

Hmm - can't really put my finger on it, but I think David's is a fake :D

/Henrik

That's right. Everyone knows that Mona played an English ;)

Actually, that's a Cryptotinex.

You play the right tune in the right key, and the end pops off to reveal the secret documents stuffed inside the bellows.

Besides, didn't Leonardo invent the Hayden system even before Mr. Wicki?

--Mike K.

post-1911-1165378752_thumb.jpg Detail Lower Left

post-1911-1165378565_thumb.jpg Main Painting

I believe Rembrandt painted this in the 1600's. The guy in the lower left is playing what sure looks like a concertina to me. It must be real. The internet says so; but I can't tell if it's English, Anglo or some kind of previous type of instrument. ;)

Leo

• 10 years later...

Not sure this is the most recent thread on the subject, search isn't working very well.

Last week, during the Galway arts festival, I found myself at an exhibition of work by Brasilian (UK based) artist Ana Maria Pacheco. Lovely stuff. ( Artist's website)

Two works from the series The Miraculous Journey of a Little Vixen included a concertina.:

The-Miraculous-Journey-of-a-Little-Vixen

The-Miraculous-Journey-of-a-Little-Vixen

Edited by Peter Laban

• 2 years later...
On 7/27/2017 at 4:26 PM, Peter Laban said:

Not sure this is the most recent thread on the subject, search isn't working very well.

Same here.  I'm pretty sure I've seen posts of concertinas in art between 2006 and 2017, and maybe even since 2017, but this is the most recent thread that came up in my search.

Anyway, here's a link to a cartoon with a concertina.  (The comic strip is usually political, but I don't think there's anything obviously partisan in this particular image.)