C Netters At The George

It was a pleasure to welcome Peter Trimming ,Ged Gardner(Red) and all the way from Washington

Jim Besser with Wife and Daughter to The George session.

The evening was a bit dominated by French Music but Jim with a look of concentration all night ,had a go at everything ,even when we played in C and with Jim on his GD box.Good for you Jim.It is really nice to meet up with the people who become your friends on this site,with Allison at the George last Summer.

It was a very enjoyable evening,I did not count the number of musicians but there must have been twenty or so.

I collected 15 archive cassettes from Peter that evening and have been listening to them ever since.

If you come to London why not pop in and have a play at The George.(1st Monday in the Month).

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Jim Besser with Wife and Daughter to The George session.

The evening was a bit dominated by French Music but Jim with a look of concentration all night ,had a go at everything ,even when we played in C and with Jim on his GD box.Good for you Jim.It is really nice to meet up with the people who become your friends on this site,with Allison at the George last Summer.

If you come to London why not pop in and have a play at The George.(1st Monday in the Month).

I go to lots of sessions, but this one was special -- the historic venue, the large number of fabulous musicians, the variety -- including a trombone, several sets of pipes, fiddles, and was that a bombard I heard? -- and above all Alan's hospitality.

Alan, the French music was wonderful -- different enough to be really interesting, but not too difficult to pick up on the fly. There were several tunes I want to bring to sessions around here.

And my wife reported that Alan is an outstanding dancer after they managed a waltz in a postage-stamp size area.

If anybody's interesting I put a pic of the session on my web site:

My Webpage

Edited by Jim Besser

I second the motion! It's a wonderful place, and a most hospitable host. I wish I could make it sometime soon, but alas... :(

My land-line is taking forever to open your pictures, Jim, but I'm enjoying them as they emerge! I can't wait to see the picture of the George.

By the way, when did Bluemont die?

My land-line is taking forever to open your pictures, Jim, but I'm enjoying them as they emerge! I can't wait to see the picture of the George.

By the way, when did Bluemont die?

Bluemont officially folded last month after a 26 or 27 year run. Too many injured dancers -- a familiar story, sadly. I really enjoyed my time with them.

If you want a few more pics of The George, e-mail me and I'll send them to you. My daughter turned out to be an ok photographer.

Your wife too is a lovely dancer Jim and a very fun person.Earlier in the evening after watching some visitors Breton Dancing to our music,she said how much she would like to dance.Not to miss a chance like that ,I shyly asked for a dance later.

Mel Stevens is the musician this side of Jim playing French Cabbarette Bagpipes he made himself.I was telling Jim that Mel makes all his own instruments including the fiddle he played on Monday,Hurdy Gurdy numerous other pipes.He plays Melodion with me on the Rosbif Waltz.He also plays Trombone for GIGCB band.He had a quick go on my concertina once and I snatched it away from him as he was playing chords that I did not even know existed on the instrument. I once got into a conversation with someone about blues music.The other person replied that the best blues guitarist he ever heard lived near me in Crawley,Mel someone.Stevens I replied ,thats him came back the answer and I never even knew Mel played the guitar.

The decoration on Mels pipes is pewter melted down from some old tankards he bought from an antique shop.

Al

Jim, the photo at Glen Echo with the carousel in the background really makes me homesick!

I shall toast the demise of Bluemont Morris. I and my team (also now defunct, alas) were regulars at the Ale in the early to mid '80's. I shall carry a scar on my left middle fingertip for the rest of my life due to a sewing accident trying to finish something to wear to the Saturday night dance at the 1982 Ale. Somewhere there are photos of me dancing across from Alistair Brown (Thames Valley) at a mass dance with a big ole' bandage to protect the stitches...

Now *I* want to go play at the George!!

Edited to add: Jim, are those dogs eskies? They're lovely!

Edited by Rhomylly

Add my raised glass to the Bluemont toast! My team, the Harrisville Morris Women, always rented a van and drove down to the ale, but as it always fell on my son's birthday weekend, I was waiting a few more years until he's well and truly launched, looking forward to the day I could go.

I believe Bluemont came to our Coming-of-Age ale here in NH, when it snowed on May 17th! Northern hospitality, doncha know! B)

Jim, the photo at Glen Echo with the carousel in the background really makes me homesick!

I just pulled in from Glen Echo a few minutes ago! The big contra dance with the open band. Don't know if you've been back since the restoration, but it's absolutely gorgeous now.

I shall toast the demise of Bluemont Morris. I and my team (also now defunct, alas) were regulars at the Ale in the early to mid '80's. I shall carry a scar on my left middle fingertip for the rest of my life due to a sewing accident trying to finish something to wear to the Saturday night dance at the 1982 Ale. Somewhere there are photos of me dancing across from Alistair Brown (Thames Valley) at a mass dance with a big ole' bandage to protect the stitches...

The ales were great. I was only with them for 5 or 6 years, and we didn't do the ale every year, but the ones I attended were spectacular fun.

Edited to add: Jim, are those dogs eskies? They're lovely!

Nope, samoyeds. Both came from rescue. People give them up because of the blizzards of dog hair, but they are wonderful dogs, as long as you have an industrial strength vacuum cleaner.

Edited by Jim Besser

Add my raised glass to the Bluemont toast! My team, the Harrisville Morris Women, always rented a van and drove down to the ale, but as it always fell on my son's birthday weekend, I was waiting a few more years until he's well and truly launched, looking forward to the day I could go.

I believe Bluemont came to our Coming-of-Age ale here in NH, when it snowed on May 17th! Northern hospitality, doncha know! B)

Yes, we were there, and to prove it I have a picture of snow on the flamingos. Playing in the barn that first morning, I thought I was a frostbite candidate for sure. But we had a fantastic time, and it was that trip that started us thinking about moving to New England.

...are those dogs eskies? They're lovely!
Nope, samoyeds. Both came from rescue. People give them up because of the blizzards of dog hair,...

I used to know someone who would collect her samoyed's hair, spin it, and knit with the yarn. :)

I used to know someone who would collect her samoyed's hair, spin it, and knit with the yarn. :)

My wife is a spinner and keeps threatening to do that. They mix the samoyed hair with wool.

But I don't need for her to knit me a dog sweater; with those two, everything I own is already covered in dog fur.

My wife is a spinner and keeps threatening to do that. They mix the samoyed hair with wool.

But I don't need for her to knit me a dog sweater; with those two, everything I own is already covered in dog fur.

Sadly, that is not a Samoyed-specific trait.

Nope, I haven't been to Glen Echo since January 2000. I would love to see it restored to its full glory!