Tedrow D/a "tenor" Anglo Aeola Concertina For Sale

Tim Hall

I am reluctantly offering for sale a gorgeous Tedrow Aeola anglo in D/A. My wife is expecting our second child, and because she's now a solo practitioner, we're going to lose quite a bit of income this year, and so several instruments are going on the block (Anyone want a clawhammer banjo or a nice small hurdy-gurdy?). This instrument has 6-fold maroon bellows with black papers, black ends trimmed in (I think) mahogany, and comes in a Tamrac camera bag that is a good fit. It is a visually striking instrument, and the action and sound are very fine. The image which I hope is attached below is from Bob's website slideshow, but I can take any other pictures anyone wants to see. Interested buyers in the vicinity of Louisville, KY, USA are welcome to contact me to see the instrument.

I'm asking $1,500 for this instrument, and will ship it anywhere in the USA for that price. It has been played since, but not abused. It has been kept in a smoke-free home and not played in pubs (although it was played for my daughter's preschool St. Patrick's Day party last year). New Aeolas from Bob's shop go for $1950.

2% of the sale price will go to support Concertina.net if it sells through this posting.

Thanks

post-633-1141858547_thumb.jpg

This is pitched low (below a standard G/D)?

I am reluctantly offering for sale a gorgeous Tedrow Aeola anglo in D/A. My wife is expecting our second child, and because she's now a solo practitioner, we're going to lose quite a bit of income this year, and so several instruments are going on the block (Anyone want a clawhammer banjo or a nice small hurdy-gurdy?). This instrument has 6-fold maroon bellows with black papers, black ends trimmed in (I think) mahogany, and comes in a Tamrac camera bag that is a good fit. It is a visually striking instrument, and the action and sound are very fine. The image which I hope is attached below is from Bob's website slideshow, but I can take any other pictures anyone wants to see. Interested buyers in the vicinity of Louisville, KY, USA are welcome to contact me to see the instrument.

I'm asking $1,500 for this instrument, and will ship it anywhere in the USA for that price. It has been played since, but not abused. It has been kept in a smoke-free home and not played in pubs (although it was played for my daughter's preschool St. Patrick's Day party last year). New Aeolas from Bob's shop go for $1950.

2% of the sale price will go to support Concertina.net if it sells through this posting.

Thanks

Well, I didn't mean to start another thread on pitch nomenclature. I called it a "tenor" because I'm pretty sure I had seen it described as such by Bob Tedrow on his website, but now (of course) I cannot find that anywhere. It is not simply pitched a major second above a standard C/G anglo; rather, the A row is pitched a fourth below the D row, instead of a fifth above as in standard tuning. I believe the D row to be the same as on a G/D anglo, but since I don't have one to compare, I can't be sure.

This tuning is also described briefly by Ken Coles in his article on this website

http://www.concertina.net/kc_known_keys.html

There are also a few sound files of a Tedrow D/A on this page

http://hmi.homewood.net/style3/

in which you can hear the rich harmonies possible with the lower A row.

Hearing those files again almost makes me hope this thing doesn't sell.

I hope this helps; please let me know if I have explained things insufficiently, or if you want any further information.

Tim

Thanks--this tells me what I wanted to know. I would think that anyone who's used to a standard Anglo would have to re-learn all their cross-row fingering patterns to be able to play this one.

Daniel

Well, I didn't mean to start another thread on pitch nomenclature. I called it a "tenor" because I'm pretty sure I had seen it described as such by Bob Tedrow on his website, but now (of course) I cannot find that anywhere. It is not simply pitched a major second above a standard C/G anglo; rather, the A row is pitched a fourth below the D row, instead of a fifth above as in standard tuning. I believe the D row to be the same as on a G/D anglo, but since I don't have one to compare, I can't be sure.

This tuning is also described briefly by Ken Coles in his article on this website

http://www.concertina.net/kc_known_keys.html

There are also a few sound files of a Tedrow D/A on this page

http://hmi.homewood.net/style3/

in which you can hear the rich harmonies possible with the lower A row.

Hearing those files again almost makes me hope this thing doesn't sell.

I hope this helps; please let me know if I have explained things insufficiently, or if you want any further information.

Tim