Bass Concertina

Please count me as "interested" though for me it needn't be a 48-key. I could do well with just 2 1/2 octaves and certainly wouldn't need more than 3 at the most. Response and tone would be my highest priority over range and depth. Also, I would also very happily go for a single-action box if it would make in lighter, smaller and deeper (contra-bass).

I don't suppose there is any possibility of a bass anglo? (Defined here as a G/D anglo 1 octave below normal, though a C/G two actaves below normal would also be of interest). 30 button for preference, though I guess 26 buttons would give me much of what I want...

... but I suppose that however small the market for bass Englishes is, the market for bass anglos would be smaller [sigh]

Chris

Please count me as "interested" though for me it needn't be a 48-key. I could do well with just 2 1/2 octaves and certainly wouldn't need more than 3 at the most. Response and tone would be my highest priority over range and depth. Also, I would also very happily go for a single-action box if it would make in lighter, smaller and deeper (contra-bass).

Rich, I wonder what you have in mind as how to use such an instrument. I find that one of the great things about my own bass (a 56-button, double action) is the ability to do harmonies in upper ranges and not be restricted to just thump-thump bass. My contrabass (2 octaves below treble) is only 2½ octaves, and while I love it for what it can do, I often wish it could go above middle C.

... but I suppose that however small the market for bass Englishes is, the market for bass anglos would be smaller [sigh]

Why? If they sound anything like the instrument played by John Kirkpatrick on the "Sultans of Squeeze" CD I would think there would be quite a queue.

Personally I prefer lower tones and think that the basic C/G Anglo is an octave too high. I think that the first button right hand middle row should equate to "middle C" on the piano. I have got quite a deep singing voice though - which I suppose is not every one's gift.

My only concern about a bass anglo is how big and heavy would it be?

Harry,

Echoing Chris's comments above, I'd like to see a Bass Anglo in C/G. I realise a Bass Anglo is not what you're offering just now, but if you did, I'd order one.

Rich, I wonder what you have in mind as how to use such an instrument. I find that one of the great things about my own bass (a 56-button, double action) is the ability to do harmonies in upper ranges and not be restricted to just thump-thump bass.
We'd be using it only for concertina band work - and for such would only be playing the bass part/lines. Other range instruments would cover the rest of the range.

I could do well with just 2 1/2 octaves and certainly wouldn't need more than 3 at the most.
... I wonder what you have in mind as how to use such an instrument. I find that one of the great things about my own bass (a 56-button, double action) is the ability to do harmonies in upper ranges and not be restricted to just thump-thump bass.
We'd be using it only for concertina band work - and for such would only be playing the bass part/lines. Other range instruments would cover the rest of the range.

So what happens if I write an arrangement for concertina band that takes the bass outside the range of what others have done? Well, I've never been one to deliberately limit my options. :)

Double action Basses usually play very poorly, because of the size of the valves and their response time on top of the already slow response of the big reeds. It will probably be very heavy as well. Stick to a single action bass, 2.5 octaves from the lowest G will be fine.

I have a Lachenal G (contra) Bass, so I only offer comment.

Dave

I have a Geuns-Wakker C/G baritone anglo. It is a fine instrument, and I certainly would be interested in a bass concertina of either English or Anglo system. Less than 3-1/2 octaves and/or single action would be OK by me. I just hope the dollar gains some value by the time any such instruments are available!

I have a Geuns-Wakker C/G baritone anglo. It is a fine instrument, and I certainly would be interested in a bass concertina of either English or Anglo system.

Ken, how do you feel about the response of the lowest notes on your baritone anglo? The very lowest note of a "baritone" C/G anglo is the same as the very lowest note of a "bass" English, so that should give some basis for comparison.

I wouldn't say "no" to a bass anglo.

And totally off subject, there are times when I really appreciate the internet "sanctuary" that c-net is. I love you guys.

Rhomylly

(who is obviously not having a very good day.)

The very lowest note of a "baritone" C/G anglo is the same as the very lowest note of a "bass" English, so that should give some basis for comparison.

On my Dipper, that note always puts me in mind of the fog horn on some great ocean liner sailing up Southampton Water. In my experience (which stretches to a Lachenal as well as the Dipper) the concertina is pretty responsive, but the valves on the left hand have to be in good condition to avoid a graunching noise if you change direction on the same button.

Rhomylly, console yourself with this: you're a concertina player, and therefore already one of life's elite.

Chris

We as bandonion & concertina maker wonder if there would be some interest in bass concertinas

the idea would be to produce a special limited production of 48 tone English double action bass.

Regards

Harry Geuns

Bandonion & Concertina Maker

I would be interested. Much would depend on price, weight, tone, etc, but I would be interested.

Roger