Regondi Reminder

FOLKS (especially those within striking distance of New York): just a reminder that The Center for the Study of Free-Reed Instruments at the CUNY Graduate Center will present VIVA REGONDI on Friday, March 17th, at 7:30 P.M. The concert is devoted entirely to the music of Giulio Regondi, both for concertina and guitar. The concertinists are Douglas Rogers and Allan Atlas, the guitarist, Alexander Dunn. Among the highlights of the program: Douglas playing some of Regondi's most finger-twisting pieces, a set of pieces for voice, concertina, and piano, back-to-back performances of Regondi's Nocturne, first in its original version for guitar, then in D'Alquen's transcription for solo piano, and the rousing finale of Regondi's arrangement of selections from La Traviata for two concertinas and piano.

For ticket information: continuinged@gc.cuny.edu OR (212) 817-8215.

Allan

Edited by allan atlas

That sounds like a lovely concert Allan. Unfortunately, I will not be able to be there which is a shame. The original Nocturne with guitar and the La Traviata transcriptions really have my interest piqued. The duet with chorus, Libiamo most likely is included in the transcriptions and I can just hear it with two concertinas and piano accompanyment. In bocca al lupo gentlemen!

Edited by Mark Evans

The Center for the Study of Free-Reed Instruments at the CUNY Graduate Center will present VIVA REGONDI on Friday, March 17th, at 7:30 P.M.

Any chance that this will result in a recording, for those of us who won't be able to make the concert? Or even for those who can, but would like to be able to hear it again, later.

Edited by JimLucas

MARK, JIM, CHRIS, ET AL.: As it turns out, the Act I "Libiam'" is not one of the selections. Regondi turned out four books of selections devoted to Traviata and Trovatore. Perhaps that number is in one of the other books (I honestly don't know).

The numbers that we're doing: Germont's "Di Provenza" and (with chorus) "Dov'è mio figlio", Violetta's "Addio del passato," the duet (Violetta and Alfredo) "Parigi, o cara," and "Dio, morir sì giovine." Regondi also wrote a part for the bass (or baritone) concertina, and we had originally planned on including that, but circumstances forced us to drop it.

As for recordings: we will be videotaping, and I would be happy to make it available as long as all the participants agree. Some of you will remember that our 2002 concert in honor of Wheatstone's birthday ran into a snag on that score (as it did on clearing copyrights). We'll see what happens.

Finally, I'd be more than happy to send anyone who wants to see it a copy of the program (there's an embarrassing typo, but. . .). I don't know how to add an attachment to this posting.

Allan

The numbers that we're doing: Germont's "Di Provenza" and (with chorus) "Dov'è mio figlio", Violetta's "Addio del passato," the duet (Violetta and Alfredo) "Parigi, o cara," and "Dio, morir sì giovine." Regondi also wrote a part for the bass (or baritone) concertina, and we had originally planned on including that, but circumstances forced us to drop it.

Wonderful selections! "Di Provenza" is beautiful. One of the few arias I'd wish to switch me pipes with a baritone to sing. "Addio del passato" is so sad, and of course "Parigi, o cara" is a beautiful duet and I hear two concertinas beautifully doing it justice. Will they both be treble, or will Aflredo's voice be carried by a tenor/treble?

I was lucky enough to sing Alfredo several times. Lovely, lovely music. Must get it out of my head though, for it's Irish on English for me today.

I would very much like to hear a excerpt from this concert. Man!

Edited by Mark Evans

'Di Provenza' is one of my favourites too. I guess it would sound good on a baritone concertina. If any of you folks get the chance to hear the Amercian baritone singer Thomas Hampson sing it you'll be impressed with that too. This therefore begs the question of how it would sound as a song with concertina accompaniment.

Charles Mackay

FOLKS: Douglas and I will be doing the Traviata excerpts on two trebles. As I noted, we had hoped to have an ensemble of two trebles and a baritone (or bass), but unfortunately that proved to be impossible.

As for the continuation of the "Great Regondi" CDs: I honestly have no idea. I suppose Douglas is the person to ask...................

And yes, Verdi was a pretty good tunesmith!............Germont's "Di Provenza" and the entire scene that follows with Violetta is one of my favorite operatic fifteen minutes (approximately). . . . . . . . . . Allan

Allan-

Will there be a reception on Friday afternoon as there has been before the previous concertina events at the graduate center? Any other events later in the weekend?

[edited to correct spelling os Allan's name]

Edited by David Barnert

DAVID AND FOLKS: I'm sorry that, unlike past events, this time around there will NOT be either a pre-concert reception or a follow-up workshop the next day. This all has to do both with logistics at the Graduate Center that weekend and with my own personal schedule. Sorry.........but hope some of you will turn out to hear Douglas (who's pretty amazing) and the rest of the cast.....................there's some wonderful music. . . .and i would imagine that this will be the only time that both the guitar music and the concertina music of Regondi are offered together at a live concert..................it's not the everyday kind of thing..........Allan

Edited by allan atlas