Jeffries Duet Tutor Required

Richard G

Many thanks Gav,

I'm in the process of getting a basic music theory book... just playing around with the concertina, it has a amazing range of sounds, and ham fisted touch typist that I am, I even managed to get a harmony of sorts out of... :blink:

I'll drop you a line later, many thanks for the offer of help!

Cheers

Rich

In answer to David Barnert - Yes ! . And to Richard G I can only reitterate my advice to get in touch with WCCP, the members will willingly give all help possible to anybody bringing any type of concertina.

Inventor.

Hello Richard,

Congratulations on acquiring your Jeffries.

I too have a Jeffries Duet, and have been playing it regularly for Morris for a few years.

Although I believe the instrument is capable of being played in any key, my limited ability means I tend to play it in G, which fortunately suits Morris!

I was interested in your description of the stamping on your instrument.

Mine has C.J. and Jeffries' 'new' Kilburn NW6 address under the left handle with reversed 'N', and Aug 8 1921 under the right handle, with the name W. Thomas under the right strap.

I assume W. Thomas was the owner of my particular instrument.

BTW - I live in Wiltshire.

Hello Richard,

Congratulations on acquiring your Jeffries.

I too have a Jeffries Duet, and have been playing it regularly for Morris for a few years.

Although I believe the instrument is capable of being played in any key, my limited ability means I tend to play it in G, which fortunately suits Morris!

I was interested in your description of the stamping on your instrument.

Mine has C.J. and Jeffries' 'new' Kilburn NW6 address under the left handle with reversed 'N', and Aug 8 1921 under the right handle, with the name W. Thomas under the right strap.

I assume W. Thomas was the owner of my particular instrument.

BTW - I live in Wiltshire.

Congratulations Woolosp - it's always good to hear of another Jeffries Duet player. If you're around for Chippenham Festival, I'll be there on playing duty using guitar and fiddle with the Florida band so please introduce yourself!

Gavin

Congratulations Wolosp - it's always good to hear of another Jeffries Duet player. If you're around for Chippenham Festival, I'll be there on playing duty using guitar and fiddle with the Florida band so please introduce yourself!

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I'll try my best - I live about 5 miles from Chippenham, so there's no excuse eh? !

Cheers,

Paul

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add a quick hello from a Jeffries Duet player in the lovely Arkansas Ozarks! C. Jeffries, 50-button, key of C, to be more particular. The analogy to a typewriter is very apt, since the keyboard is just about as logical. But we've all learned to type, so it's just a matter of getting used to its quirks. I've only found one other player here in the US who will admit to playing a Jeffries Duet, and that's the wonderfully entertaining Nick Robertshaw in the Washington, D.C. area. I know a few others who have duets, but they must be well closeted.

The "Ramping Cat" album is indeed the definitive Jeffries Duet sound - "octaves in the right hand and fistfulls of chords in the left". Micheal Hebbert is absolutely brilliant. I heard that album and HAD to have a concertina that could sound like that. And I must say, I've never heard a MacCann or Crane make the same kind of racket.

I suppose it should be of some concern that I enjoy playing an instrument that most people find to be incomprehensible...

The best advice I can offer about learning to play the Jeffries Duet (or any other concertina), is to hide the case somewhere and leave the instrument out in your way - the sofa, the dining room table, etc. - and keep picking it up and having a go at it. Eventually you'll find you're throwing it down in disgust less and less, and playing real tunes more and more. It's like a big combination lock - find the right combination and out comes some lovely music!

Gary Coover

• 3 weeks later...

post-1761-1147716535_thumb.jpg

Many moons and several builders bills have gone by since my last post and I'm now in the 'reluctant sale' position. This is just initial feelers to gauge what I should market my Jeffries duet for... I'm wary of the wacky world of e-bay and I'm having an auctioneers valuation or two on Wednesday... but in the mean time thought I'd find out if anyone had a rough idea of a market price for the Jeffries.

This isn't a scam, if anyone is interested I'm more than happy to chat.

I can also record a squeeze or two as a video clip if anyone wants to see the Duet working (just don't ask me to play anything recognisable...) one or two keys a little sticky, but its in very good nick and makes a nice racket...

Many thanks,

Rich

• 3 months later...