New Victim, I Mean Member

Heh heh! It does seem that you are indeed suffering from the Obsessive Compulsive Concertina Buying Syndrome :D

I myself ordered a Marcus about two weeks after buying my Stagi. If I hadn't discovered C-net I'd probably still be torturing my Stagi, but thanks to this great site I'm now pestering my surroundings with a good quality instrument. Maybe my neighbours are less than thrilled, and my family have to learn to live with the fact that I keep sending them recordings of what I'd hardly call music, BUT I'M HAVING A BLAST! :lol:

So welcome to the world of the concertina from another beginner. Enjoy!!!!

Corbin, thanks. I haven't laughed like that in a long time.

I know exactly what you mean by CCBD (Compulsive Concertina Buying Disorder). I'm still waiting on my first one and starting to save for the next. Someone help me!

Best of luck in battling this dread disease.

-jeff

Edited by jlfinkels

Corbin

Great story. You seem to have the rarer acute form of CCBD, most people here suffer from the chronic form. Worst case (and most likely) is that your acute disorder will not be cured but will become chronic.

Except maybe a Jeffries.

Corbin,

Hate to break it to you but Even a Jeffries is not a cure; you are simply rationalizing so that you can spend $6,000 when one crops up.

If you had a Jefferies you would also want a Wheatstone because they have a sweeter tone than most Jefferies. If you had both a Jefferies and a Wheatstone, you would want a Suttner because newer instruments are more reliable. If you had a Jeffries, a Wheatstone and a Suttner you would want a Dipper because they are such works of art. If you had.... Well you see where this is going. Soon you would have one of every brand.. then you would start over with C#/G# instruments :).

--

Bill... if I had a Jeffries, Wheatstone, Suttner, Wakker and Dipper in addition to the Edgley, Marcus and Kensington I already have, I am sure I would really be happy :).

Henk, what part of Netherlands are you in? My wife and I are planning to move back there this summer. We lived in Utrecht 2000-2001, but this time are considering Zaandam.

Corbin,

I live close to Arnhem (about 60 km south-east of Utrecht). When possible, we should meet, play together or join a session :unsure: ?

Wonderful story, Corbin! And welcome! You made the right decision! I, too, went quickly from a Stagi, in my case to a Marcus, and then was blessed with a c/g Jeffries (through a long story I won't bore you with). I'm very happy with my Jeff, but if and when means and wherewithal allow, I too will give into the itch - for me, it's a baritone! And a G/D! And then a mini! I mean, there's never a reason to stop, is there?? :blink:

Except maybe a Jeffries.

Bad news, I'm afraid. In my case it's taken a Jeffries and a Dipper and a Morse and a Lachenal and ... well you get the picture.

Is it worth it? Well, that's the good news :)

Welcome aboard,

Chris

Holy moley. The disease is rampant! And much worse than I thought. May God help us all.

Why is this so addictive? A small voice in the back of my mind, has started to whisper "Wakker, Wakker, Wakker" BUT NO! I'll stay firm (at least for the time being).

Charlotte

Why is this so addictive? A small voice in the back of my mind, has started to whisper "Wakker, Wakker, Wakker" BUT NO! I'll stay firm (at least for the time being).

Charlotte,

To place things in perspective. I (happily) played a Hohner 20b C/G for more than 10 years. After that I upgraded 4 years ago to a Martcus Deluxe. And now...... I just got a mail from Wim Wakker announcing the serial number of my new concertina.... and that this new concertina will be ready in two months. So when I visit the SSI I will bring this new Wakker WA-1..... Another highlight of the SSI:.. Henrik will (I hope) bring his self-built English Concertina.

The most important: The next SSI will be a lot of fun!!

Hi Corbin and welcome :)

I know I'm one lone voice against the tide, but not all Stagis are created equal. I had a Stagi for 12 months, I loved it and it held me in good stead. And I would still have it, except that I stumbled across a Norman Anglo in a shop in Cork (whilst we were on Holiday in Ireland).

Then last year I bought my gorgeous restored Lachanel - a beatiful, warm little box that I adore. I'm also waiting not so patiently for my James miniature Anglo.... and I'm sure they'll be other concertinas in my future.

There is no cure to this additcitve, but the up side is Concertina.net is one hell of a support group! :P

If you're interested, the story of my concertinas is on my webiste: www.ptollemy.com

Cheers

Morgana :)

There is no cure to this additcitve, but the up side is Concertina.net is one hell of a support group! :P

Kind of a different take on what support means when used in the context of addition. I believe the more usual term for our role is enabler :).

--

Bill