Give Up The 'box?

I've been playing this wonderful WheatstoneEnglish (48, metal ends and buttons, six fold leather bellows, just pre-WW1 I believe) for a dozen years or so, mostly for morris, with a band and in sessions, both for tunes and song, it's the only 'tina I've ever really coveted.

As the years pass, more and more morris knees go, and rather than take up a musical instrument, these ex-dancers all learn the melodeon. I find myself increasingly part of the Castagnari Wall of Sound (it used to be the Hohner Wall of Sound, but times must be good....) - that's on the rare occasions I get to play at all, given the number of fit dancers about! Very disillusioning, I've put a lot of work into phrasing the tunes and interesting accompaniments, then you get steamrollered with oom-cha basses and staccato rhythms throughout.

The band has at least one accordionist and I find I'm spending more time playing guitar and mandolin for variety, which spills over into those becoming my main session instruments, since most of the ensemble pieces and songs we/I do in sessions I find I'm now more familiar with on guitar.

I've spent money on fettling this instrument and keeping it just so, I've had two valuations at £1600 and £1800, yet it will not remain pristine and such a nice player if it continues to be neglected. With two small children, (a) I need the money and (B) I never get to practice the thing, since they go to bed about the same time I get in from work most days.

Feeling disillusioned and wondering whether this lovely instrument would be better off in someone else's hands where it will get played, or whether I should hang on and hope.....

I've been playing this wonderful WheatstoneEnglish (48, metal ends and buttons, six fold leather bellows, just pre-WW1 I believe) for a dozen years or so, mostly for morris, with a band and in sessions, both for tunes and song, it's the only 'tina I've ever really coveted.

As the years pass, more and more morris knees go, and rather than take up a musical instrument, these ex-dancers all learn the melodeon. I find myself increasingly part of the Castagnari Wall of Sound (it used to be the Hohner Wall of Sound, but times must be good....) - that's on the rare occasions I get to play at all, given the number of fit dancers about! Very disillusioning, I've put a lot of work into phrasing the tunes and interesting accompaniments, then you get steamrollered with oom-cha basses and staccato rhythms throughout.

The band has at least one accordionist and I find I'm spending more time playing guitar and mandolin for variety, which spills over into those becoming my main session instruments, since most of the ensemble pieces and songs we/I do in sessions I find I'm now more familiar with on guitar.

I've spent money on fettling this instrument and keeping it just so, I've had two valuations at £1600 and £1800, yet it will not remain pristine and such a nice player if it continues to be neglected. With two small children, (a) I need the money and (B) I never get to practice the thing, since they go to bed about the same time I get in from work most days.

Feeling disillusioned and wondering whether this lovely instrument would be better off in someone else's hands where it will get played, or whether I should hang on and hope.....

Jon,

Don't give up.

Does you're morris side have a lead musician who can arrange for smaller numbers to play, particularly for smaller venues.

In the band, you can complement the accordion (as opposed to compliment the accordionist, a very rare occurence) so long as he/she is willing to work together and I guess it depends on whether the guitar/mandolin is also need for the sound you want.

I've been through the children/practice thing but managed to come back to more active playing with no detrement to the instruments.

Don't give up.

Howard Mitchell

Derby, UK

Hang on and hope. New musical opportunities always arise, and concertinas are wonderfully adaptable. And children grow up with amazing speed.

...wondering whether this lovely instrument would be better off in someone else's hands where it will get played, or whether I should hang on and hope.....
Hang on and hope. New musical opportunities always arise, and concertinas are wonderfully adaptable. And children grow up with amazing speed.

Unless you really need to sell it, I would say hang on. Who knows, maybe as the kids get older, one of them will want to learn to play it, and then you'll really wish you still had it.

Meanwhile, your descriptions of the way you play Morris on it make me hope you'll record a few examples and make them available to Henk's tune links page. Your fellow musicians may not appreciate your artistry, but I'm sure we will. :)

I'd say never sell a musical instrument you've learnt to play well. The difficulty in justifying the expense of getting another one later far far outweights any financial gain made from the sale. If it's not played for a while it won't spoil and you'll get it out with renewed enthusiasm a few years on. Or your kids will. Meanwhile try the suggestions of other posters here - negotiate a place for your playing in some groups/with some players.

Samantha

The time is not to sell it is to move on.Why wait for things to improve either start playing solo and perform as a solo artist or find some musicians that will play the sort of music you wish to play in the way you wish to play it.You have to make these things happen they will not come to you.Sell the instrument never.

Make a start and it all falls into place.

Al

Jon, I would urge you not to sell. In 1987 I sold my 1921 Aeola for reasons that don't matter now and to be honest didn't really matter then. The old saying "Life is what happens while you were making other plans" sho' nuf' happened to me. I didn't surface until 2004 and sticker shock really stunned me. I love the little Morse Albion I bought for more that twice the price I got for the Aeola. The Morse will never be the Aeola which I now cannot afford for that baby involved in the reason for selling the Stone is now attending college :( .

Hold the line! As Alan suggestss, move on and keep playing your instrument.

Wow are you tough on the Melodeon... It is a musical instrument too.

My guess is the following. If you are finding the volume of the melodeons to be annoying, then I bet that other non melodeon players in your group do as well (in my experience it is rare that an annoying player only annoys one person). Perhaps by talking to the others in your group, you can determine that others agree that the melodeons are unfairly dominating the music and maybe start encouraging an ettiquette for the group that only one melodeon player plays at a time.

Another thought is, while it may be unfortunate, perhaps you should look at other avenues for your musical expression. It sounds like you really enjoy playing the tunes of Morris, so maybe try and get a morris session started. Or perhaps explore a different musical tradition all together.

--

Bill

Melodeons don't kill, players do.

I play melodeons.. luv em... but D/G and Morris ? and more than one player at a time.. that's where I draw the line..

I very much regret selling a very fine Wheatstone English 48 button

Keep it.. small enough as not to be in the way.. and who knows whether or not your kids may one day have an interest when the prices reach the stradis-sphere

jeff

Stick with it Jon!

I have played with many different lineups, anglos, melodeons, piano accordians etc., and I have never felt in the least bit tempted to give up my Crabb english. Most of the time you can hear it clearly enough above the others, if I get really peaved I use my Wheatstone Piccolo which can shatter glass! I use to play for Morris, indeed when I danced it was often to an english concertina/fiddle combination. Just play, and don't let the Castagnari brigade put you off. In my experience they are often very taken with the sound of english concertinas.

Chris

Sell it and move over to the Dark Side - buy an anglo!!!!

(Preferably C/G to annoy the melodionistra in C).

A nice loud metal-ended anglo can always run rings around melodions and can even beat them at chords.

Anglos are not dark, they are darker than dark!, even darker than that! :ph34r:

D

Sell it and move over to the Dark Side - buy an anglo!!!!

(Preferably C/G to annoy the melodionistra in C).

A nice loud metal-ended anglo can always run rings around melodions and can even beat them at chords.

Anglos are not dark, they are darker than dark!, even darker than that! :ph34r:

D

post-1398-1141181757_thumb.jpg

Ive sold many a instruments only to regret it later, but at the time I too needed the money. <_<

If you need the money, I personally understand. But if you must sell it, perhaps you might consider a kind friend who would vow to keep the instrument healthy, and if you were in the position to wanting it back later, then sell it back he must. Or, if he was to sell it, then you would get first chance at that. Even by gentlemans agreement. That said, I would first confirm, perhaps with a cooling off period, that it must be sold.

I have sold many instruments in my time, and without fail, a few years later I have regretted letting them go. Most of the time I sold them because of financial pressures, particularly when bringing up children. But I look back on my lovely two pre-warehouse fire Guild guitars, my French chromatic accoridan, my first concertina and a hand-made Spanish guitar and I just think now nice it would be to have them all in the spare bedrooom.

Don't sell if you can possible avoid it!

Tom