Concertinas In The Movies (episode 4)

I saw a concertina being played in "The Wind That Shakes The Barley", ceili scene at the announcement of the truce. Overall the film not very soundtrack oriented. Martín de Cógáin singing Óró Sé Dó as the character Seán in prison scene was the other musical moment.

I saw a concertina being played in "The Wind That Shakes The Barley", ceili scene at the announcement of the truce. Overall the film not very soundtrack oriented. Martín de Cógáin singing Óró Sé Dó as the character Seán in prison scene was the other musical moment.

My apologies if this one has already been mentioned, but there is a rather nice club scene in the film "Summer and Smoke" with a concertina. Mike

You sure that's not a Mayfair?

The bellows don't look like
Bastari
to me.
:unsure:

Jim,

I had some similar confusion over the Wizard Anglos when Flip Delport asked about them, misleadingly stating "The anatomy is clearly English": Anglo Wizard, Who made them ? In the end I had to go so far as to buy an example off eBay to find out what they were about

Edited by Stephen Chambers

You sure that's not a Mayfair?

The bellows don't look like
Bastari
to me.
:unsure:

I had some similar confusion over the Wizard Anglos when Flip Delport asked about them, misleadingly stating "The anatomy is clearly English": Anglo Wizard, Who made them ? In the end I had to go so far as to buy an example off eBay to find out what they were about

Stephen, it seems I invoked "View New Posts" between the appearance of your post to which I replied here and your new post about the "Anglo Wizard", which I've now seen.

I'm still not sure about either Desi's or the Wizard, though. In the Wizard thread shipcmo said, "The bellows are identical to early Bastari (and later Stagi)...." I've handled far more Wheatstones and Lachenals than Bastaris or Stagis in my time, but I don't recall ever seeing a Bastari or Stagi with such deep bellows folds... or with decorative trapezoidal "papers" such as I see on Desi's instrument. On the other hand, his bellows folds seem thinner -- flimsier cardboard? -- than what I associate with Wheatstone. I'm not sure about the Mayfair.

I seem to have missed some of the past discussion of the Anglo Wizard, though, so I think I'll now go add some thoughts in that thread.

• 2 months later...
Assuming my attempt at adding an image works, here's the concertina from a quick screencap of The Wickerman.

was anybody ever able to determine what kind of box Mike Cole was playing? When I saw it (again through my concertina eyes, first time I saw the movie was over 20 years ago) I thought it might be an anglo, due to the strap and I thought I saw three rows of buttons, however that was from seeing a low res scan. It was mentioned on another thread it may be a Jeffries Duet, or even a prop.

Edited by Hooves

Hooves

Shortly after starting this thread I posted the question to the man himself on the Philharmonia orchestra site, as that is the band for which he plays bassoon, no feedback as yet.

http://forum.philharmonia.co.uk/viewforum....ad20ccd39b3a353

Pete.

well, seeing as that was asked 2 years ago, and he said he would reply with details "soon", I'm going to guess he won't. He may not own the box anymore, and may not remember the details of the concertina.

It's been a while since I saw it, but a concertina appears in the 1943 Val Lewton produced film The Ghost Ship. There is a mysterious and somewhat sinister old sailor playing the concertina on the docks before the hero sets forth and when he gets back to land. This one isn't listed on the http://www.mediarare.com/MRFilmSq.html site either. The sailor and the concertina were the best part of the film -I saw the film before I developed my interest in the concertina!