World Map Of Concertina Players

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The site's on line this morning, but I can't get myself on it. It just says 'undefined' in the city box :( There aren't many uk players shown yet - but I'm sure it will grow if we can get added.

Hilary,

Just try the biggest city near the place where you live. I had the same problems. As soon as you're in the system you can edit/modify your place on the map.

Roger Digby was succesful to move back from Greece to the place where he lives. :)

The site's on line this morning, but I can't get myself on it. It just says 'undefined' in the city box :( There aren't many uk players shown yet - but I'm sure it will grow if we can get added.

Just try the biggest city near the place where you live.

Thanks for telling me about that Henk - it looks like fun, and I've joined the concertina group on frappr. I'm at Tom C.

I've not been contributing here for a while having just moved house, ISPs, and job. not sure which was the most traumatic, but the concertina has been a constant point of stability throughout the changes.

My new location has an excellent folk club every Friday and I've been privilieged to hear some great 'tina players over the last few weeks.

Tom

I've not been contributing here for a while having just moved house, ISPs, and job. not sure which was the most traumatic, but the concertina has been a constant point of stability throughout the changes.

My new location has an excellent folk club every Friday and I've been privilieged to hear some great 'tina players over the last few weeks.

Tom

Tom

You sure are priviliged with this folk club every Friday. I only have an opportunity to go to a monthly session :( .

All the best in your new house, with your new job and your new ISP ;) !!

Edited by Henk van Aalten

Slightly of topic, but thought that I'd ask--does anyone know if there's a way to do that with included XP software (Paint, etc.) or do I need Photoshop or something similar? (I do realize that I could just take another picture...)

Daniel

So I'm now on it, and I'm encouraging other players in my area to join it too....but has anyone else had trouble uploading a photo there? I tried a jpg but it didn't take and was wondering if maybe the file size (285KB) was too large.

Daniel

Frappr is a website where people can locate others with similar interests - geographically. You can place a pin on your location, and see where other people can be found.

There's a map for concertina players now - http://www.frappr.com/concertinaplayers . Maybe you'll discover unknown players in your area!

yes, I had the same problem. I had to reduce the size to (I belive) about 120KB, that seemed to work. fun site, although i need to find my way around better. see you there.

chris rose

Edited by Daniel Hersh

Slightly of topic, but thought that I'd ask--does anyone know if there's a way to do that with included XP software (Paint, etc.) or do I need Photoshop or something similar? (I do realize that I could just take another picture...)

Hi.

You could convert your JPG picture to the GIF format (I think my grammar stinks here, but then again I'm Danish :) ) This can be done in Paint. GIF, however, only supports 256 different colours, so the quality of the picture might suffer.....

Charlotte

Slightly of topic, but thought that I'd ask--does anyone know if there's a way to do that with included XP software (Paint, etc.) or do I need Photoshop or something similar?
While you can crop in MS Paint, I don't think you can resample/resize photos. There are a bunch of free photo manipulators out there though - Google for "reduce file sizes freeware". This one looks pretty easy. I suggest keeping your photo in jpg as progressive color images (photos) will be smaller files with far more colors that gif.

I see more members this morning than last night. There are now 56 callouts on the map. Seems to be up and running now.

Well, on the frappr site I have to live with the fact that I live in Copenhagen, Vesterbronx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (without doubt that is of no importance to you people out there, but there is no such thing as Vesterbronx in Denmark. It's Vesterbro!!!!!.) If I try to change the name to Vesterbro it also says "Undefined" in the box. So I will live with the fact that I live in Vesterbronx. When I see the name Vesterbronx I try to figure some mixture of Bronx in New York and Vesterbro in Copenhagen. Hmmm, how would that look like..... As far as I understand Bronx is one of the poorer areas in New York. And so is Vesterbro (in Copenhagen). So in that way Vesterbronx is a fitting name... :)

Well, on the frappr site I have to live with the fact that I live in Copenhagen, Vesterbronx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... As far as I understand Bronx is one of the poorer areas in New York.

The Bronx is large and includes both some very poor slums (like nothing Denmark has seen in this century) and some very exclusive neighborhoods (som whiskybæltet ), as well as places at in-between levels. So take your pick. (But I am curious as to how Vesterbro -- Westbridge in English, no? -- got converted to Vesterbronx. Maybe it's all those folks wearing shirts that say "Bronx"? That would be like New Yorkers wearing shirts with an "Istegade" label. :ph34r:)

The Bronx is one of five "boroughs" which make up New York City, which is sort of inside-out to the rest of the country, since a borough is essentially a county. (Forestil sig en kommune, som er sammensat af fem amter. :))

Slightly of topic, but thought that I'd ask--does anyone know if there's a way to do that with included XP software (Paint, etc.)

Yes, in MS Paint, under the "Image" menu, select "Stretch/Skew..." and change the horizontal and vertical size by equal amounts. I guess it's a bit counter-intuitive to "stretch" to 50% size, but that's the way computers think (and many programmers think that way too). It doesn't scale as well as Photoshop though, probably most recent free programs would even do a better job.

The Bronx is large and includes both some very poor slums (like nothing Denmark has seen in this century) and some very exclusive neighborhoods (som whiskybæltet ), as well as places at in-between levels. So take your pick. (But I am curious as to how Vesterbro -- Westbridge in English, no? -- got converted to Vesterbronx. Maybe it's all those folks wearing shirts that say "Bronx"? That would be like New Yorkers wearing shirts with an "Istegade" label. :ph34r:)

The Bronx is one of five "boroughs" which make up New York City, which is sort of inside-out to the rest of the country, since a borough is essentially a county. (Forestil sig en kommune, som er sammensat af fem amter. :))

I just looked up Bronx on the net. It has ca. 1.4 million inhabitants. More than Copenhagen! (ca 1. million)and Vesterbro (no. inhabitants ca. 35.000). So I guess that we can't live up to the diversity in Bronx!!!!

I like the thought of New Yorkers wearing shirts with an "Istedgade" label. That's my street! :)

Thanks, Richard--that piece of software did the trick. (And thanks to Jeff and others for your suggestions too.)

Daniel

Slightly of topic, but thought that I'd ask--does anyone know if there's a way to do that with included XP software (Paint, etc.) or do I need Photoshop or something similar?
While you can crop in MS Paint, I don't think you can resample/resize photos. There are a bunch of free photo manipulators out there though - Google for "reduce file sizes freeware". This one looks pretty easy. I suggest keeping your photo in jpg as progressive color images (photos) will be smaller files with far more colors that gif.

All I get is 'page not available'

Is this site real or is it on narrow gauge or something?

All I get is 'page not available'

Is this site real or is it on narrow gauge or something?

11:47 pm Pacific Time in the U.S., and she's down again (Frappr). This is about the same time it was down yesterday. I havent looked where the server is. If in the U.S., maybe the webmaster does changes in the evening?? Too bad, I was kind of looking forward to finding "Vesterbronx."

I see that this is up to 65 players now, including Michele Delattre near me who sent me the following comment (and gave me permission to post it here):

"I love this! Maybe someone should send it in to Homeland Security -- after all, in a crisis they may need us!"

[Posting intended as humor rather than as political commentary! dh]

Frappr is a website where people can locate others with similar interests - geographically. You can place a pin on your location, and see where other people can be found.

There's a map for concertina players now - http://www.frappr.com/concertinaplayers . Maybe you'll discover unknown players in your area!

At this moment 10.30 pm Saturday (Queensland Australia time = 12.30 pm GMT) there are 66 members. I note that there are twice as many anglos (or should that be Anglos) as English concertinists.

I wonder why Morgana (Ptollemy) has a pink symbol rather than a blue one?

Edited by Poaceae