Where Are They Now?

PeterT

the Radway, of course, being one of your old stamping grounds.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, happy days spent there over the years (not whole days, of course!).

I learnt several tunes, from Radway sessions, which are still in my repertoire. Back in the "good old days" (up to 1988), the lunch-time session was always very intense, as the pub closed at 2.30 p.m. (well, 3.00, by the time they got us all out!). It really was a challenge; as I was generally running concertina workshops in the morning, I'd seldom arrive before 1.00, could never get a seat until gone 2.00 p.m., and sometimes could only play with the instrument above my head as the room was so packed.

Early evening sessions were a bit more relaxed, until about 9.30, when the whole pattern repeated itself. 1989 saw the first Sidmouth with "all day opening". This immediately eased the pressure to "get in and have a play". You could drop in at any time during the afternoon and early evening, and find other musicians there. Interestingly, we did not always play, sometimes we had a drink and a chat, and actually got to know each other a bit. In many respects, this aspect was as important as the music.

Regards,

Peter.

Ralphy is alive and well working hard for the BBC.

Ralph helped us a lot with the track "Petit Waltz"(Eric), concertina playing from the late Nigel Chippendale, of course Ralph appeared with Nigel on stage as part of the group Eric in concert at The Beach Store Sidmouth.In the audience by coincedence was Iris Bishop and yours truly.A magnificent display of multi instrumental playing by Nigel and the band ,for sadly Nigel to die of cancer a few years later.

Al

When Nigel died, Ralph contacted me for recordings, as he knew that I had been recording some material prior to this date.

Confessions of a Field Collector

Hi Alan,

Whilst searching through the last of my recordings, I found one entitled "Various Artists". Guess what, I have a recording of "Eric" :D . So, 20 years down the line, I owe Ralph an apology :unsure: .

It's only two tracks, suggesting a Floor Spot at Croydon Folksong Club (c1984). Only one track features concertinas, but it's "Telstar" :D :D :D , with rather more concertina swinging than on the "Out-Tapes" version.

On the same tape, I have a rare recording of "The Blades" (Dave Townsend and Dave Parry).

Regards,

Peter.

• 7 months later...
I thought that this thread might be useful, especially to those who are newer to the concertina, or, like myself, have been away from the main-stream concertina scene for some time.

Specifically:

Are they still playing concertinas?

What type of music?

Solo, or as part of a duo, trio or group?

Recordings available?

I know that one or two of the following are members of this Forum, but I'll kick off with:

Gavin Atkin

Brian & Penny Bibby

Alan & Rita Davies

Ian Goodier

Ralph Jordan

Jean Megly

Douglas Rogers

Hopefully, the list will grow!

Regards,

Peter.

I thought that this thread might be useful, especially to those who are newer to the concertina, or, like myself, have been away from the main-stream concertina scene for some time.

Specifically:

Are they still playing concertinas?

What type of music?

Solo, or as part of a duo, trio or group?

Recordings available?

I know that one or two of the following are members of this Forum, but I'll kick off with:

Gavin Atkin

Brian & Penny Bibby

Alan & Rita Davies

Ian Goodier

Ralph Jordan

Jean Megly

Douglas Rogers

Hopefully, the list will grow!

Regards,

Peter.

Hi, Only just found out about this question. Ian Goodier is alive and well and still playing. I can confirm that the address given earlier for Alan and Rita Davies is correct. I last saw them in the Elsinore during Whitby Folk week.

regards Ian Goodier

Hi, Only just found out about this question. Ian Goodier is alive and well and still playing. I can confirm that the address given earlier for Alan and Rita Davies is correct. I last saw them in the Elsinore during Whitby Folk week.

regards Ian Goodier

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the Forum, and good to hear from you. It must be at least 11 years, as I "retired" in 1995.

I remember you playing the two English concertinas, simultaneously, at the 1988 Whitby Festival. Happy days!

Regards,

Peter.

Also, Nigel was not a bad tune writer. If you are looking to commission new Duet recordings, perhaps Ralph or Iris (or both?) could record an arrangement of one of Nigel's tunes.

Regards,

Peter.

I used to have a tune book 'Chippendales Cheery Chunes', not seen it for years now, I'll have to go and search the box room to see if it's slumbering under the pile of old sheet music I keep meaning to sort out. There were some lovely tunes in it :D

I used to have a tune book 'Chippendales Cheery Chunes',

Sorry to be a pedant, Ann, but it was "Chippindale"; Nigel didn't have the graceful legs associated with the furniture manufacturer. Good tune book, though. :)

Regards,

Peter.