I'm Going To Hell!

No really, I am!

What I don't get is what that pastor had to do with anything!?! Is he affiliated with the university where you work? Does he play the concertina? How was his opinion relevant to the story? Someone needs to tell him he's giving Christians a bad name talking like that. It won't be me, though; why would he be interested in the opinion of another Buddhist concertina player, and one from 2,000 miles away...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henk, I have no idea what that's based on, other than his own rabid beliefs, which unfortunately are shared by many many people around here.

Yeah, the scary thing to me is that they bothered to quote him at all, when the article is about you. Quote him?! They have to have contacted him and asked him to comment, otherwise how would he have known to do so? Sounds as if someone at the paper is deliberately fomenting religious strife.

And to add insult to injury, they seem to have considered the concertina to be almost incidental to the issue of religion. I thought the concertina was our religion. B)

Everyone knows that concertina-playing Buddhists are just playing the Devil's music!!!

Lessee, now: Devil Among the Tailors; Devil's Dream; isn't there a tune called Up Jumped the Devil? The Stool of Repentance is a good tune, but probably not the best one to work on in your current state of mind. :unsure: But then there's Some Say the Devil's Dead, with the lilting words:

"Some say the Devi's dead, the Devil's dead, the Devi's dead;

Some say the Devil's dead and buried in Killarney.

"More say he rose again, rose again, rose again;

More say he rose again and married Katie Carney."

(Some folks sing "and joined the British Army" to end that last line.)

:) ...Kinda funny/interesting to find this thread, today. JUST this morning, I FINALLY managed to steal a few minutes to do exactly that....same terrible sin that shall apparently lead me to H-E-L-L!

As I sat there playing, I determined that that is pretty much the kind of music I most prefer -- music for, of, by, etc., meditation. So, it seemed like an odd coincidence to find Rhomylly's post.

Well, cheer up, I'm going to hell! Heheh. Or, maybe that will drive people out, I don't know....('Oops, there goes the neighborhood...' :D )

Some of the people I've had in my own background were soooo 'fundamental' or whatever, that I pretty much started on the road to hell just by getting out of bed in the morning. Didn't do it right.

I do thank God (if she does actually exist, etc...) that I am able to speak freely and compare thoughts with others regarding spirituality. But....gotta go.....gonna lose this post I fear...

(edit: I thought my internet connection was about to go, but...gee, I coulda talked on. Anyway, enough, of course!)

Edited by bellowbelle

What I don't get is what that pastor had to do with anything!?! Is he affiliated with the university where you work? Does he play the concertina? How was his opinion relevant to the story? Someone needs to tell him he's giving Christians a bad name talking like that. It won't be me, though; why would he be interested in the opinion of another Buddhist concertina player, and one from 2,000 miles away...

I suspect, based on the slant of the questions *I* was asked, that the pastor runs the church where the reporter attends. Can't prove it, of course.

Not only is he not affiliated with the university, he lives in the next town over, about 20 miles away. As far as I know, he does not play concertina. At least I hope not, he'd be giving concertina players a bad name, too!

Every time there's an article in the local paper about something other than fundamental Christianity, some local pastor has to be contacted to give the "opposing viewpoint." When some students here tried to start a neo-Pagan group a couple years ago, same thing happened. When the gay and lesbian students sponsored an awareness day, same thing happened.

We sigh and work that much harder to get out of this area as fast as possible.

I'm loving that I'm not the only Buddhist (albeit a really bad one) concertina player. Actually, I'm a better concertina player than I am a Buddhist...

Hey, if my spouse can be an heirloom tomato-gardener mage, my religion can be concertina! Noooo problem! :)

No really, I am!

says so right here:

http://www.portales-news.com/engine.pl?sta...ll.html&id=7364

Damn shame the online version doesn't include the lovely photo of my Edgley (and crappy photo of me) that's in the paper.

I'm actually a bit annoyed. Guess I don't like being told I'm going to hell first thing in the morning...

From what I can tell in Mapquest, you could probably drive there in an few hours. What's the big deal?

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formt...ate=nm&zipcode=

:P

Hey Rhomylly,

That pastor is from Clovis, what do you expect? That's too funny but he's obviously uninformed about 2 of the latest discoveries in ancient art that show another side of Jesus. Here's the first one!

Lars

post-1398-1140287426_thumb.jpg

And of course this one has a nice Southwestern theme to it. Isn't that a Wheatstone Linota? What good taste...

Send these off to the reporter and rest assured there will be a retraction of those comments shortly Rhomylly..... ;)

Lars

post-1398-1140287744_thumb.jpg

So now we know why 5000 turned up to hear the great man speak. It must have been the world's first concertina school. I suppose that if you can conjure up loaves and fishes, and turn water into wine, then cross row fingering and ornamentation would be a doodle.

• 5 months later...

Reviving this thread to point out this, which is further illustration that that pastor got it backward...

Daniel

I suspect, based on the slant of the questions *I* was asked, that the pastor runs the church where the reporter attends. Can't prove it, of course.

Not only is he not affiliated with the university, he lives in the next town over, about 20 miles away. As far as I know, he does not play concertina. At least I hope not, he'd be giving concertina players a bad name, too!

Every time there's an article in the local paper about something other than fundamental Christianity, some local pastor has to be contacted to give the "opposing viewpoint." When some students here tried to start a neo-Pagan group a couple years ago, same thing happened. When the gay and lesbian students sponsored an awareness day, same thing happened.

We sigh and work that much harder to get out of this area as fast as possible.

I'm loving that I'm not the only Buddhist (albeit a really bad one) concertina player. Actually, I'm a better concertina player than I am a Buddhist...

Hey, if my spouse can be an heirloom tomato-gardener mage, my religion can be concertina! Noooo problem! :)

NOOOOO!!! DON"T TOUCH THAT LINK!!! It's that hideous concertina angel with Tex-mex backing music again!! (Daniel, you'll see it's already been forced on us once under 'vendor ignorance')

I don't mind the angel myself--the concertina in her hands makes up for the tackiness of the whole thing. And I just turned off my speakers until I closed the page...

NOOOOO!!! DON"T TOUCH THAT LINK!!! It's that hideous concertina angel with Tex-mex backing music again!! (Daniel, you'll see it's already been forced on us once under 'vendor ignorance')