New Tunes Posted On Henk's Page.

I've had one or two requests for mp3 samples demonstrating points of technique I was explaining at Witney last year, and also in a thread on this site. Henk van Aalten has kindly given me some space on his web pages, and you can now find them on his Recorded Tunes Links Page here:

http://www.anglo-concertina.net/links.htm

By way of explanation, the tunes are as follows:

From my Witney workshop, 2005: The First of August and Down by the Sally Gardens. These were included to demonstrate chorded Anglo playing in the key of G on a C/G instrument, using a rhythmic dance tune and a slow, legato tune respectively. First of August has some right-hand cross-rowing (melody notes C, B and D played on C row, higher notes on G row) and also a left hand harmony line in place of chords in bar 3. Both tunes include minor chords (Am, Em, Bm) as alternatives to the usual 1,4,5 chords.

I was also asked to give some examples of use of the LH drone button, and combining it with additional harmony notes, in the following thread:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...c=3165&hl=drone

For this I've used some old English tunes that benefit from this kind of accompaniment.

Horses Bransle (actually is this French?) - key of C, first with C drone and then with added LH notes implying C, F and G chords.

Sellinger's Round - basically a C tune, but the A part sounds more like the key of F, so the effect of a C drone is bit different. Played with bare drone, one-note harmonies and then full chords.

Nonsuch - key of D minor, using drone constructed by playing D and A notes on the left hand in either direction (as dictated by melody), then with a C drone, then with full chording.

None of these are in my regular repertoire, and were recorded in my kitchen with a mini-disc, so please excuse fluffs, poor recording quality, balance, etc. Also I make no claim that these are the "correct" keys in which to play these tunes - I just adapted them to suit my own instrument. I hope they're of interest to a few of you.

Brian

I hope they're of interest to a few of you.

Very interesting, and entertaining as well! Thanks for the description of how you constructed the accompaniments. The different approaches sure gave a different feel, and I really enjoyed all the tunes. The drone in Horses Bransle really gives a medieval, hurdy-gurdy feel.

Horses Bransle (actually is this French?)

The Horses Branle (different spelling?) is first recorded in the Renaissance dance tutor Orchesography, by Thoinot Arbeau, first published in 1589 in Langres, France.

You can find all the tunes contained therein here

Edited by Lester Bailey

Thanks Lester for knowing more about the tunes I play than I do. Good man.

Has anyone else experienced problems downloading these tunes? Henk tells me they're fine and obviously Boney has managed to listen to them (and thanks for the comments!), but for me they stop dead after 7 seconds. I've also had problems with some of the other stuff on the tune links page (e.g. Jody Kruskal's tunes), but other samples there play fine. I'm using dial-up and a cranky old computer, and was assuming it was a problem at my end, until I saw a report on another thread of a user finding Jody's tunes stopping after 7 secs. Weird. Any ideas?

Brian

I'm using dial-up and a cranky old computer, and was assuming it was a problem at my end, until I saw a report on another thread of a user finding Jody's tunes stopping after 7 secs. Weird.

That was me, Brian, and it's still happening, no matter which tunes I try to hear! :(

I'm using dial-up and a cranky old computer, and was assuming it was a problem at my end, until I saw a report on another thread of a user finding Jody's tunes stopping after 7 secs. Weird.
That was me, Brian, and it's still happening, no matter which tunes I try to hear! :(

Are you trying to play them directly from the links? If so, you might try first downloading them to your computer (use right-click, at least on a Windows PC), and then playing the saved files "locally". That's what I did -- I didn't even bother trying to play them directly -- and it works just fine.

Allison and Brian,

As I have only influence on files that are hosted on my site, I would like to know more details. For that reason I will send you an e-mail.

To all others: please report if you have problems with sound files on the links page.

you might try first downloading them to your computer (use right-click, at least on a Windows PC), and then playing the saved files "locally".

I've tried that. Same problem! :blink:

Didn't work for me either, I'm afraid. Is it just us dial-up users that are having problems? Come on you lot, there must be some others out there who have tried to listen to this stuff? (He said in tone of injured pride).

Brian :(

you might try first downloading them to your computer (use right-click, at least on a Windows PC), and then playing the saved files "locally".
I've tried that. Same problem! :blink:

In that case, which process fails? The download, or the playing?

In that case, which process fails? The download, or the playing?

Download ends prematurely. Although several of the samples I've tried have worked fine, a whole lot of others (e.g. mine, Jody's) load either 45.3 or 61.0 KB (these figures keep recurring) then download stops.

Brian

Download ends prematurely. Although several of the samples I've tried have worked fine, a whole lot of others (e.g. mine, Jody's) load either 45.3 or 61.0 KB (these figures keep recurring) then download stops.

What operating system do you have? (Windows? Mac? Linux? What version no.?) Are you using some sort of security software, e.g., a firewall product?