English And Duet International

John, did the archive never receive the recordings I sent you of the Bristol Citadel Band? Not the greatest quality, I must admit, with the local BBC radio announcer talking over bits of it :rolleyes: , but might be worth a listen, though probably not for the CD project as the quality is quite poor.

I was never the custodian of the archive and did not have a full contents list - I only know some specific items which were added.

I will pass the question on.

Regards

John

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just been having a long chat with Jim Ward and he has promised recordings of

Alexander Prince,Perci Honri and Ernie Rutterford for these projects.With as large a contribution as I can get away with from my all time favourite Duet player Iris Bishop, what a fantastic contribution from one household.

Al

I have just been having a long chat with Jim Ward and he has promised recordings of

Alexander Prince,Perci Honri and Ernie Rutterford for these projects.With as large a contribution as I can get away with from my all time favourite Duet player Iris Bishop, what a fantastic contribution from one household.

Al

Alan, I have a few recordings from Tommy Elliott, who played the halls till @ the 50s or 60s - unfortunately the miniature he plays some mind-blowing pieces on is an Anglo system I think (fully harmonized versions of If I were a rich man - Nola - Gigi - Sound of Music). His daughter has the originals, and I could put you in touch if you're interested.

Pippa

Edited by Pippa

Hallo Pippa

Thank you very much for your offer and I would like the details.

If it is Anglo System it will not be included in these two projects, but maybe a follow up to Anglo International will follow if these prove successful.This statement may cause Graham to run off screaming into the distance,but he always comes back.(eventually).

Thanks again

Al

Hallo Pippa

Thank you very much for your offer and I would like the details.

If it is Anglo System it will not be included in these two projects, but maybe a follow up to Anglo International will follow if these prove successful.This statement may cause Graham to run off screaming into the distance,but he always comes back.(eventually).

Thanks again

Al

Screaming fit over - I'm back!

Seriously though, if there was sufficient interesting material available, I MAY consider a second collection of Anglo. But not yet. Meanwhile, we are busy researching English and Duet (or rather Alan is, bless him).

There have been some excellent suggestions so far, which we will eventually get round to following up. However, we would still be grateful for more. The question we want answered is:

"Who are the must be included names for these projects?" They can be current players or archive players, and they don't have to be the obvious BIG NAMES. We are also looking for interesting examples of playing that may be not so well known.

Particularly, in order to keep the INTERNATIONAL flavour going, how about any players who are from countries other than the British Isles or North America.

Any suggestions, post here, or contact Alan direct.

Inevitably, we will end up with far too much stuff to use all of it. That's when we have to argue about who stays in to make a cohesive collection. But that's what made Anglo International so rewarding a project to be involved with, when people said, largely, that we had 'got it right'.

Apart from those who said, "Wot no Chris Droney" and "Wot no William Kimber" and "Wot no.....".

Maybe, we should do Anglo International 2 after all. Aaaargh screaming into the sunset.

Graham

Thanks for the suggestion Ken and something which I would enjoy listening to.If anyone has any old recordings featuring The Salvation Army I would be very interested.

Al

Hi Alan,

I have an archive of material covering playing festivals and residential weekends during the period 1986 - 95 (which I promised John Wild that I would catalogue and donate to the ICA - still to do). Amongst these, I have a recording of the Plymouth SA Band from the 1986 Taunton & Somerset Music Festival.

From memory, there were eight musicians, and they played four or five pieces of SA music.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter and Robin

Many thanks I would be delighted to hear it and include it if it as good as you are both saying.It is these bits of luck that is the making of these collections.I will contact you with my address.

It looks as though Simon Thoumire is on board,which is a name many of you may have suggested.

A number of players are being approached and I am getting a good response.

Some of the names will be announced towards the end of the project after Graham and I have a night of the long swords over a pint or two.

Al

Peter and Robin

Many thanks I would be delighted to hear it and include it if it as good as you are both saying.It is these bits of luck that is the making of these collections.I will contact you with my address.

It looks as though Simon Thoumire is on board,which is a name many of you may have suggested.

A number of players are being approached and I am getting a good response.

Some of the names will be announced towards the end of the project after Graham and I have a night of the long swords over a pint or two.

Al

Hi Alan,

It is customary to say "First the good news". However, having spent a few hours today, listening to some of my recordings, I think that it's all good news.

In total, I have in excess of 50 cassettes from the period 1986 - 95, virtually all recorded on a Sony Pro Walkman, which, if I remember correctly, had quite a good reputation. Anyway, main points (some "off topic") as follows:

(1) Plymouth Salvation Army Band.

At the 1986 Taunton & Somerset Music Festival, my memory (if anyone has a photo it would hopefully confirm this) tells me that the line-up was:

1 MacCann Duet (Band Leader)

4 Crane Duets

3 English

The band played five items and the introductions are very clear.

At the 1987 T&S MF (yes, I'd forgotten that they came back!), the line-up was:

1 MacCann Duet

4 Crane Duets

1 Englsh

The two youngest members (aged c20) were not present for the second year. The age range of the rest of the band I would put in the 50 - 70 bracket.

The band played six items, but the introductions are not very clear.

What a sound! I think that their playing shows a varied choice of material.

(2) Duet Concertina Players

I have recordings of:

Ralph Jordan - MacCann

Iris Bishop - MacCann

Reuben Shaw - MacCann

Jean Megly - Crane

Tim Laycock - Crane

Gavin Atkin - Jeffries

Brian Hayden - Hayden

(3) English Concertina Players

I have recordings of:

Dave Townsend

Lea Nicholson

Douglas Rogers

Alistair Anderson

+ several other very good players

(4) Anglo Concertina Players

Off topic, but I have many Anglo recordings, including the 1991 Willie Clancy concert. Many top players, and a performance by Noel Hill which I rate as better than any recording which I've heard.

(5) 1986 T&S MF - Advanced Folk Class

I'd forgotten just how good we were back then. Here is the full result with marks out of 100:

Iris Bishop - MacCann (92)

Robin Madge - Anglo (91)

Peter Trimming - Anglo (91)

Jean Megly - Crane (90)

Kate Powell - English (89)

Maggy St. George - English (85)

Gerry Mogg - English (85)

Steve Goodyear - English (83)

There wasn't an average performance in the whole class, and I'd vote for Iris and Jean's contributions to be included on ANY album.

(6) John Kirkpatrick - Humour

I think that it was Halsway 1990, with John K., Jean Megly and Dave Townsend as tutors. During one concert or workshop, John said of Jean "He's SO French, isn't he?".

(7) I.C.A. Festival 1989

I have a rare collector's item; Iris Bishop playing Anglo in the Folk Dance Playing class. This came about when in 1987, I said to Iris "Next time, I'll play MacCann Duet, if you play Anglo". Well, two years later, whilst I didn't trouble the top positions, I didn't finish last. Iris however, scored 89 marks, finishing a close 3rd behind Harry Scurfield (92 marks) and Steve Goodyear (90 marks). Mark my words, that girl has potential!

I've probably missed out bits in passing. However, whilst my memory is generally good, I'll need to do much listening to my recordings to know just how many hidden gems are still lurking. All I can say is that if you want a specific player, I'll have a hunt through to see whether I have a recording.

The trick, either with camera, or recorder, is being in the right place at the right time, and then knowing afterwards that you were in the right place.

Regards,

Peter.

I have an archive of material covering playing festivals and residential weekends during the period 1986 - 95 (which I promised John Wild that I would catalogue and donate to the ICA - still to do).Regards,

Peter.

That option is still open, but it is not me now. The current best contact for the ICA sound archive is Jon McNamara, a member here under the name Jonmac.

Best wishes

John Wild

This really fantastic news.

Peter and I have agreed to meet up on "Jim Besser Plays The George night" in March to discuss these archives.

This reminds me of one of the few things I can quote you from the Bible

SEEK AND YEE SHALL FIND

ASK AND YEE SHALL HAVE

KNOCK AND IT SHALL BE OPENED UNTO YOU

Al

Hi again Alan!

I've just checked with Viona (Tommy Elliott's daughter - the family toured as "The Musical Elliotts") and his miniature concertina was English system. I'll look out the recordings I have of him and let you have the details.

Pippa

Perhaps I should ask whether Peter has photographs as well as recordings as I know that he spent an increasing amount of time with the camera at some of these events.

Robin Madge

Damn! I was hoping no-one would ask that (fat chance!).

Yes, I spent an interesting few years juggling recording equipment, cameras, and concertinas. That's probably why I used to return from Sidmouth, in particular, in need of a holiday.

The situation is that from about 1988/9 I was shooting in black & white, so have contact sheets covering many of the events which I attended. Prior to this date, I was shooting in colour. I still have the negatives, but ditched most of the remaining prints years ago. Recently, I spent hours viewing colour negs., to find a couple of pictures for the widow of a Morris friend (then the processing company's couriers lost the negs. for a couple of weeks!). This really does tax the memory, trying to view a dozen negs., and remember which ones were in sharp focus, and of good artistic merit.

I guess that it's like the recordings; let me know if you want a specific person or group, and I'll have a look.

Regards,

Peter.

Perhaps I should ask whether Peter has photographs as well as recordings as I know that he spent an increasing amount of time with the camera at some of these events.

Robin Madge

We will need Photographs for the booklet that will accompany these collections so I will indeed ask the question,thanks for the reminder.

Anyone know where Lee Nicholson is ?

Many thanks for all the personal Emails of suggestions and good wishes for the project.

You are a lovely lot.

Al

Anyone know where Lea Nicholson is ?

Al

Hi Alan,

Some Forum members might well know the answer. Otherwise Dave Townsend might have contact details (Lea was booked at Witney in 1993), or perhaps Iris Bishop. I've checked the contact sheet, and yes, I've got a great photo of Lea from Witney 1993.

Your latest posting came at a good time. Today, I've noted down several names, wondering what has happened to them, and was considering a new topic entitled "Where Are They Now?". Could cover:

Does so-and-so still play concertina? (I see that Dave Whetstone advertised his for sale).

Which bands or groups (if any) do they currently perform with?

Might be a useful "quick check" for members.

Regards,

Peter.