Learning Tricks

Charlotte

Hello to all budding concertina players.

I started playing the concertina around christmas, and I'm enjoying it. I haven't really played any other instruments before, so all this musical stuff is new to me.

Today I tried recording what I played. That was an eye opener! :blink: It sounded somewhat different from what I experienced when playing. Suddenly I could clearly hear the wrong notes, the lack of rhythm, and the asthmatic fits of my concertina (30 button G/C anglo - Stagi). I think that recording the noise I produce ( and forcing myself to listen to it afterwards) will eventually help me to learn to master that little beast.

Do you have any good tricks?

It sounded somewhat different from what I experienced when playing. Suddenly I could clearly hear the wrong notes, the lack of rhythm,

This is perfectly normal - have you ever listened to a recording of your own voice? (And realized that you didn't like it?)

Well, then...

And, come on: you've pressed the buttons on this thing for only two weeks - it is supposed to sound weird!!

and the asthmatic fits of my concertina (30 button G/C anglo - Stagi)

Good sign! This is where the longing for something better starts...

/Henrik

The only "trick" I know is to play a tune very slowly (but in the right rhythm for the tune) - imagine that the reel, jig, or whatever it is that takes your fancy is a slow air .... Most tunes sound OK like this, and it gives you a chance to get to know your way around the notes. Then you can gradually (GRADUALLY) speed it up. It's taken me a couple of years to speed up a slip jig to near the right speed. Enjoy the ride!

Samantha