'the Revenge Of The Hohner?'

"teakettle"? does it boil tea? <_<

Well....boils water. One shouldn't boil tea, I guess. (And, I'm told that, in the USA, what we call 'tea' isn't really proper tea, anyway, by some standards!)

I have noticed it spelled all as one word, 'teakettle,' and as two, 'tea kettle.'

Huh... :huh: Getting paid in teak wood would be...interesting. Makes nice bowls, I guess!

Anyway, I shall be bringing my concertina to the Button Box early next week, to be (hopefully) repaired. That will be a relief!

Howdy:

I also have one of these beautiful Chantal tea kettles which I've had for over 20 years.

The handle to the lid was lost years ago and I've always wanted to find a replacement for it since the design of the pot was not complete without the pull for the lid.

It also was impossible to get the lid out without using a knife to pop if off.

Finally I was in a store in Manhattan a few weeks ago where the same pot was being sold and asked the person there how I might get a replacement pull.

I was given the 800 number for the company who were very accommodating.

It took three tries before they sent me the correct part, but one of the mistakes they shipped was the little round harmonica thing which goes into the spout and hums when the kettle is boiling.

It also works as a stand alone when you blow into it.

Plays a nice dissonant chord of some sort if you blow correctly.

They did finally send the correct pull for the lid.

Great customer service. No charge for the part(s) after all these years. No questions asked.

By the way, if you're a "Seinfeld" nut, Jerry has one of these pots on his cooktop in his apartment.

Everytime I watched the show and saw the pot I was reminded that I had to track down a pull for the lid.

Have fun,

Perry Werner

"teakettle"? does it boil tea? <_<

That's what we call it in these parts! You probably also wouldn't know what to expect if someone offered you a "creemee"?

No you're probably right - I'd be expecting either a donut covered in icing or a lovely fruit scone with strawberry jam and clotted devonshire cream mmmmmmmm :D

No you're probably right - I'd be expecting either a donut covered in icing or a lovely fruit scone with strawberry jam and clotted devonshire cream mmmmmmmm :D

A "creemee" is a cone of soft-serve ice cream. Not a recommended snack while holding a concertina.

So, "teakettle" is in the Oxford English Dictionary, as a vessel for boiling water to make tea, so I'm surprised that it seemed to be the wrong word...

:) Yay!!!

My concertina is well again!

I brought it to the Button Box today, and Bob fixed it in just a few minutes. The pad (of the high G) had come off, that's all.

And, for the record, the end of my concertina DID pop right off okay -- when Bob tried it. I'd just been too nervous about pulling it apart, not knowing if it would be really stuck, or what.

So....I am happy about that!

A "creemee" is a cone of soft-serve ice cream. Not a recommended snack while holding a concertina.

So, "teakettle" is in the Oxford English Dictionary, as a vessel for boiling water to make tea, so I'm surprised that it seemed to be the wrong word...

There are lots of words that are listed in the OED which are not common use or reflect how English is spoken (in England). We currently have a programme on TV here called "Balderdash and Piffle" which among other things shows that a number of entries in the OED are not as extensively researched as one might think.

As I drink coffee in the main I would associate using the kettle to make coffee as well as tea, hot chocolate, soup etc. I have never heard anyone in England use the expression "teakettle" and when I first saw the word thought it must be a type of samovar - but there you go, you learn something new everyday.

BTW a "creemee" in England is commonly known as a "whippy" as they used to be sold from "Mr Whippy" branded ice cream vans :) [in Scotland these ice creams are known as "okey pokey's" because the cone looks like a witches hat!]

Edited by Peter Brook

OH, I think I get it. My grandfather, son of an immigrant Episcopalian minister from Bradford, used "piffle" as his version of bulls**t. I always wondered where the word came from. Does that square with it's use in the program title?

OH, I think I get it. My grandfather, son of an immigrant Episcopalian minister from Bradford, used "piffle" as his version of bulls**t. I always wondered where the word came from. Does that square with it's use in the program title?

Absolutely!

Sounds like piffle to me. B)
Yet, no more so than other attempts at defining something:

Concertina

:ph34r:

Eh? By my definition of "definition", your link is not to one. B)

An attempt at a partial "description", perhaps. :unsure:

But I'm not sure how much to trust a web page that states there are 2 comments, while displaying three comments.

But I'm not sure how much to trust a web page that states there are 2 comments, while displaying three comments.

He he.

I also wondered what was up with the "View all comments (2)". Bizarre, since they clearly have three. Unless perhaps they don't count John's because it was submitted with the nomination?