Anyone Interested In An Anglo Workshop In Michigan?

I've recently been discussing with Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI, the idea of giving a workshop on anglo there sometime in 2007 (I play basically English style though am a little eclectic in repertoire). They've never featured concertina before in their workshop series and are uncertain how much take-up there would be. So if anyone out there would be interetested, or knows someone in MI who might be, could they make themselves known?

Also if anyone knows Nancy Wells, an anglo player from the Lansing area who put me on to Elderly in the first place, could they give me her up-to-date e-mail contact please?

One other question: there's also a possibility I may do some anglo tutoring at the Button box workshop weekend in April 2007. Would this impinge on a workshop in Michigan in terms of take-up, or vice versa? I'm not sure how far folks are prepared to travel for that kind of event and whether the distance is sufficent to make no difference.

Happy New Year to all.

Brian

PS I plan to put some samples up on the tunes page before too long, in response to requests regarding my workshop at Witney 2005, and the recent thread on drones.

Brian,

I for one would travel quite a ways to attend. My usual residence (Pennsylvania) is close enough to Amherst. What has devolved into my holiday digs (Indiana) is not far from Elderly, and I would get up there if it was a time of year I was not tied down teaching in the East. Sorry I missed you the last time you were at Pinewoods! Regards,

Ken

Hi Brian,

Depending on your touring plans and open dates you might want to consider a workshop/concert in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. We have a growing contingent of anglo players who, while devoted to Irish Traditional Music, would support an English style workshop. There is a house concert venue which regularly features Celtic and English Traditional Music and an organization which sponsors stage concerts for folk acts. Email me for contacts.

We are 5+ hours driving time south of Lansing, MI. Even if you cannot visit us, best of luck with your tour.

Greg

I plan to attend the Button Box workshop in April- I'm less likely to go to Michigan, although I've had a hankering for awhile to visit my aunt in Battle Creek, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that I might let the schedules coincide!

Thanks all for the expressions of interest. I'll file your addresses away and keep you all in touch with further developments. Greg, I'll be in touch about those contacts - I've always wanted to go to Cincinnati, it sounds such a romantic place (the name, that is).

Please note, I am likely to be at the Button Box workshop in 2007, not this year.

Now that I've nudged this back to the top of the page, are there any other takers?

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks all for the expressions of interest. I'll file your addresses away and keep you all in touch with further developments. Greg, I'll be in touch about those contacts - I've always wanted to go to Cincinnati, it sounds such a romantic place (the name, that is).

Please note, I am likely to be at the Button Box workshop in 2007, not this year.

Now that I've nudged this back to the top of the page, are there any other takers?

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Brian, I'd be interested along with two others from Toronto (including Robin H). Please keep me informed.

Brian, I think this is a great idea. We can't have too much concertina exposure around here! Good luck!

Thanks, Frank. I'm struck by the amount of interest from Canada in this idea. I've always tended to think of Canada and the US as totally separate countries, with machine-gun posts and razor-wire on the border, etc., and it hadn't really occurred to me that people might want to cross the line merely to learn concertina. I'll be keeping you all posted on developments.

Brian

We used to hear that it was the world's friendliest border, or something like that. Recently, or so I've been told, one US senator suggested building a wall between the US and Canada for reasons of "National Security." Now we are told that special identity cards will be needed in 2007 in order to cross the border, so we may be approaching your description, Brian! Unfortunately! :(

Edited by Frank Edgley

We used to hear that it was the world's friendliest border, or something like that. Recently, or so I've been told, one US senator suggested building a wall between the US and Canada for reasons of "National Security." Now we are told that special identity cards will be needed in 2007 in order to cross the border, so we may be approaching your description, Brian! Unfortunately! :(

When I was a kid in Buffalo, the family could drive across the Peace Bridge into Ontario and the "border guard" only required that the driver -- my mother or father -- claim that we were all US citizens, then name the town s/he was born in. I don't recall that they even had to show a driver's license. Coming back, I think the US license plate on the car was enough.

More recently (this time between Washington and British Columbia) I had to show my US passport going both ways and had to answer a number of questions. And they're gonna make it worse? :o

And they're gonna make it worse? :o

They will try, bless em'.

So what do they do with the boarder towns like Derby Line, Vermont and Rock Island, Quebec? They share factories and the Haskell Free Library and Opera House, yes Opera House. The boarder runs right through the place. Folks from both sides of the boarder work, read, and make music there.

The upstaris Oprea House is a pristine Victorian hemp theater seating 400 with the majority of the house in Vermont and the pit and stage in Quebec. Performaces there are a blast with a delightful melange of French and English. I discovered talking with the fire department representitives from both side of the boarder that most of them are related. Seems they have things well in hand.

Perhaps the politicians should do what they do best...skullduggery and let the rest of us get on with life.

Edited by Mark Evans