Lachenal Needs Repair......

Hello there, I have a 1859 lachenal 20 key anglo.The big screws that hold the hand straps or the end where you remove to make the adjustment for tightness are not tightening down anymore and are starting to wallow out.What is the best way to repair this any suggestions would help.....thank you Tom

Tom

On some concertinas the strap screw goes directly into wood, on others a threaded metal plate is fitted into the wood. If as I suspect yours is the first type you have a choice.

A quick fix is to reduce the size of the hole by inserting a slip of soft wood, from a matchstick say.

The more permanent method is to use the new screws with metal screw in "nut" that you can get from David Leese. With these you first drill out the hole to accept the brass insert - it should be a tight fit. Screw in the insert with a screwdriver, then fit the strap screw. You will almost certainly have to use the new thumbscrews as the threads are not the same as the old ones.

If you your screw goes into a metal plate you can get a replacement from David Leese.

As Theo says, you can contact David Leese who sells new screws complete with threaded inserts which you screw into the existing hole (slightly enlarging it first). This is the best solution.

If you are uncomfortable with doing this yourself, then you can look at the 'Concertina FAQ' site, for a local repairer who can advise/ do the work for you

Dave

wes here,

all good advice, and here's some more to think about. i feel the lachenal blocks are too short, at least for someone with medium to large hands. instead of fooling around with fixing the enlarged hole, copy the thickness and length to some suitable hardwood, and add hieght. i made mine 1 1/16 tall, i take a large size glove. of course the thumb area needs to be the same for the buckle and strap clearance. this only took about an hour or so, cutting filing and sanding. I've never got around to staining and lacquering, i'm having too much fun playing with the improved ergonomics!