New Jeffries Opportunities On Ebay

Bob

I am surprized that no one has commented on the 2 "new" Jeffries that are offered on ebay at present. Numbers 7378255068 and 7379941760.

Jeffries do come up from time to time and I see nothing suspicious about either sale, indeed, the seller from Japan is a member of this forum.

The one in Norfok, about 20 miles from where I'm am, is in terrible condition. Very sad, but its certain to be restored to glory by someone.

Not me though!

Too high for what? I see that it sold, with Chris Algar as one of the bidders. With Jeffries prices at current levels, this price is (sadly) not out of line, even with a need for new bellows and possible other major work.

Daniel

Probably because the starting bid on the one in the UK is way to high, especially considering the condition.

Whilst agreeing with Rhomylly that the starting price seemed high for a complete rescue job, the market sets the price. Here are a couple of pictures which the vendor sent me taken thrugh the holes in the bellows. There's going to be a lot of work needed to the reeds, let alone the action and the bellows.

Also, this doesn't seem to be a Jeffries from the top drawer; although it has the C Jeffries maker stamp, it appears to be from the era when John Crabb was making them and before he made his own (according to the history articles on this site. The case is certainly not a Jeffries case.

I'm not suggesting the vendor is misrepresenting - he makes it clear that he's not an expert, so caveat emptor.

It's more slightly worrying that one of the questioners of the Japanese Jeffries tries to suggest that it is one of the best that money can buy and could be Kimber's concertina - a ludicrous suggestion.

I do wonder who will get the job of restoring the English Jeffries, what he'll try to sell it for after restoration, how it will play and how it will be described then

The selling price certainly seems well out of line compared with the genuinely top of the range lovely Wheatstone 46 key McCann Duet which went for £1260 something a couple of weeks ago.

Alex

Edited by Alex West

The selling price certainly seems well out of line compared with the genuinely top of the range lovely Wheatstone 46 key McCann Duet which went for £1260 something a couple of weeks ago.

Alex

The market wants anglos. The number of people wanting duets is small and demand dictates the price.

Also, this doesn't seem to be a Jeffries from the top drawer; although it has the C Jeffries maker stamp, it appears to be from the era when John Crabb was making them and before he made his own (according to the history articles on this site. The case is certainly not a Jeffries case.

Alex

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember Geoff Crabb saying that a Crabb concertina from this era was the match of any Jeffries - presumably he meant both before or since

My apologies; when it comes to quality, we're in the realm of opinions. I may not be best placed to make clear comparisons and everyone will have their own opinion as to what makes the besy sound and what is the best concertina or best period for a particular maker. However, there is at least a historical distinction to be made between the concertinas which C Jeffries made himself, those which the Brothers made and the ones which were made for him by others.

Maybe it's splitting hairs, but if C Jeffries didn't actually make this (or have it made in his workshop under his supervision), then it can't be one of his best.

Other people - and Geoff Crabb is probably one of them - will be better placed to judge whether a Crabb/Jeffries is of similar quality to one of the later Jeffries

Still seems a lot of money!

Alex

You might be interested/depressed/sick as the proverbial parrot (delete as appropriate) to know that the rather sad Jeffries in Norfolk, which sold for £3100, was bought at auction by the vendor for just £35. Makes you wonder if auctioneers might be sued on the grounds of professional negligence.