Double Newbee - Thank You!

Hello,

I just got a concertina. I had one before, but got nowhere with it 'cause it was in need of repair. This time around I got a Jackie from Concertina Connection. So it's time to learn - everything! This board was how I found the Concertina Connection, so thank you all.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"

Welcome Russell,

You are going to love your new concertina aventures. What kind of music are you going to play?

I'm glad you are giving it one more try. A decent instrument can make a difference. Keep us posted on your musical adventures and don't be afraid to ask for help or advice. Best wishes, Greg

I am a Vintage Ballroom dancer. For me, that covers anything from the late 1700's to the 1950's. I love the Waltz, so I want to learn to play those. But really, I like music and want to learn everything. I am not a natural, so I expect to practice a LOT to become a marginal player. So be it. If I can play a Mazurka, a Waltz, a Foxtrot, a Polka, a Schottish, a (insert name here), than I have achieved my original goal. My first goal along the way is to learn what button goes with what note on the page! Then maybe, to accompany singers. Christmas is coming.

Thanks for the kind supportive words!

My first question is, can an Accordion teacher help me? I don't know of any Concertina teachers in San Diego. But I have friend who thinks his Accordion teacher is the best, and that sounds promising to me.

Tahnk you,

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"

My first question is, can an Accordion teacher help me?

Almost certainly, no. The keyboard ("English", if it's a Jackie) is completely unrelated to that of any kind of accordion. Furthermore, the means of supporting the instrument and manipulating the bellows are also completely different.

Asking an accordion teacher to teach you concertina would be rather like asking a trombone teacher to teach you tenor saxophone. If the teacher's a genius and keeps one step ahead of you, it might work. But teachers who are either that good or that motivated, never mind both, are rarer than Californians who didn't run for governor. ;)

I do believe there's another concertina player in San Diego, who is (or was?) a member of Concertina. net. Maybe he'll come forward with some help?

I wholeheartedly agree with Jim on this.

I had a violin teacher try to help me when I started playing mandolin. A disaster. She thought she could help because the string layout is the same, but nothing else is. And she was learning as I was, not good.

I play piano accordion or at any rate did as a child and I have taken it up again. I don't think an accordion teacher would be very helpful.

I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here and suggest that with the right combination of student and teacher, some valuable lessons could be learned despite the fact that they don't play the same instrument. You need a student who doesn't need to be shown where the notes are, of course, or how to hold the instrument (I realize this may not describe Russell yet, but he'll be there soon). And you need a teacher who understands that the task is not to impose instrument-specific techniques on a student who has no use for them.

Once we've gotten past that, there's a lot of music to be learned. Phrasing, articulation, improvisation, listening, ensemble playing, crafting an accompaniment to a vocal line, music theory, musical structure, and the list goes on. Use of sound systems. The business of music.

I've never had a concertina teacher. Much of what I know about playing the concertina I learned from a cello teacher (of course, he thought he was teaching me to play the cello, and it was only decades later that I applied it to the concertina).

Edited by David Barnert

Hi Russell, and welcome :)

Don't forget to check out the learning page here at concertina.net - it has a list of some very useful links/resources.

When I first started out (18 months ago) I got myself a copy of both the John Williams Video and the Mad for Trad CD Rom. Both have their pros and cons (as discussed on the learning page), but if you like me you didn't have the opportunity to hang out with out concertina players on a regular basis (as I didn't), a lot can be learned just by watching concertina's being played.

And of course don't hesitate to ask questions here at the forum - I've found the members to be a friendly lot who are very generous with their knowledge/experience.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Morgana :)

I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here and suggest that with the right combination of student and teacher, some valuable lessons could be learned despite the fact that they don't play the same instrument.

I don't disagree. I just suggested that such a "right combination" is rare, and the run-of-the-mill accordion (or piano, or clarinet, or...) teacher isn't up to it. I think Helen's experience is the more likely outcome.

You need a student who doesn't need to be shown where the notes are, of course, or how to hold the instrument
But isn't that just what Russell needs to be shown at this stage? For things like phrasing and harmony, the teacher need not be able to play the same instrument, but for the intial phases of learning to hold and handle the concertina, it makes a big difference.

I agree with Jim.

Russell said his first goal was to know what button went with which note. That sounded to me like someone who wanted concrete advice on how to play the concertina.

I think he will be disappointed with an accordion teacher for concrete concertina advice.

Morgana's advice sounds the most helpful for what you might like at this time, Russell.

Best of luck.

First, thanks to all who replied.

I like the idea of a video and a CD Rom. I could pick up and put down as time permits, couldn't I? So far I am working with the Tutor book that came with the Jackie. So Morganas advice hits home, I have never seen a Concertina played and it wouldn't hurt at all to see someone who knows what he/she's doing. I will also check out the learning pages again, I had only looked there for books before.

And I won't ask about the Accordion Teacher. Not yet, anyway.

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"

I'd agree with just about all of the comments so far.

As an observation I would say that my first 'lessons' on the english concertina (about 20 years ago) were taught to me by an excellent piano accordion player. PA is his main instrument but he also plays button accordian, anglo concertina and english concertina. I also recieved basic instruction from a wonderful chemnitzer player who also plays english concertina. So there are accordionists out there who can teach both. In more recent years I've had several very productive lessons with Chicago's resident anglo guru, even though I play english.

Another observation would be that in the jazz field it is very common for players to study with teachers who play different instruments from their own. This is also not uncommon in the 'formal' or classical field.

Good luck and keep squeezing faithfully.

I would also add that there is definitely a void that needs to be filled in that there are no instructional videos that I'm aware of for the english concertina.

Edited by Sandy Winters

I like the idea of a video and a CD Rom.

Unfortunately, those mentioned are for the anglo, and you have an English. I've forgotten whether there's a video companion to Pauline's tutor, but if not, there should be. :)

I would recommend the "Concertina Workshop" Tutor By Alistair Anderson, for learning to play English Concertina. It was the best book I found when I was first learning to play. It is available from the Button Box. It is a good straight forward tutor with good info and good tunes, and info about chords. Alistair Anderson is a great player of the English. --Try it, you'll like it--PS-when this tutor first came out it had a companion LP,but I don't think it is still available nor been put out on cassestte or CD?---Steven

So there are accordionists out there who can teach both.

True, but that's because they play both, not because they're accordion teachers. :)

Isn't that what I just said???

As I read it Jim was differentiating between accordian teachers who don't actually play concertina (as raised earlier in the thread), and those who do play concertina, (which you refereed to).

Clive