Lesson In New Jersey

rie

Hi,

My name is Rie. I am new to this Forum. I live in Bayonne, New Jersey and was given a conertina for Christmas and am dying for lessons. I am a musician/band director and am a certified performer on trumpet. I want to learn how to play traditional Irish tunes. Can anybody recomend someone in the tri-state area that gives lessons on the concertina? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you so much!!

Well, we have a member on Staten Island who plays anglo concertina and is a school band director. I don't know if he's posted recently but I saw him in April in Massachusetts...I'll let him identify himself if he wishes/is listening. There certainly are folks across the Hudson too; they should speak up shortly.

You anticipated one of the two usual questions by telling us where you are. The other is, do you have an anglo system (20 or 30 buttons most likely, differ on push and pull) or English system (usually 48 buttons, same note push and pull)? Most of us only play one of these systems, or one of the rarer duet systems.

Welcome aboard, brass players _can_ play concertina (and over in Australia, they make concertinas, we hear!).

Ken Coles

trumpet for many years

horn for nearly as many

not paid to do music!

It is a 20 button Anglo. If you can suggest videos and/or books to help out, I would really appreciate it. I have the Concertina book by Frank Converse

I hope the State Island member does respond because SI is minutes from my house.

That is awesome that you play horn too. I play horn and saxophone more now than my trumpet. I am also playing mellophone with the "Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps".

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Rie

• 7 months later...

Hello BAYONNE! I am in the same boat in nearby Jersey City. Just picked up a used 20 button anglo and need a lesson. Trying to put together an Irish folk band. Frustated by my quick learn of the penny whistle and my impossble slowness with the concertina. Did you have any luck finding an instructor?

Hi, Lucy and Rie.

I live in Jersey City as well. I've been making slow progress on my 30 button anglo. Unfortunately, I can't share any information about instructors but I'd be willing to pool my limited experience with yours and see if we can't build a button box community....or just place some tunes. :D

Hi, Lucy and Rie.

I live in Jersey City as well. I've been making slow progress on my 30 button anglo. Unfortunately, I can't share any information about instructors but I'd be willing to pool my limited experience with yours and see if we can't build a button box community....or just place some tunes. :D

I found my teacher at this web site. http://www.teachlist.com/ There is a serious lack of teachers in this country. I was lucky to find a good one.