New Jody Kruskal Cd

Concertinas in general, are known for playing single line with occasional harmony notes, just like the mandolin. To hear all those bass notes and interior lines and upper harmonies being played surely stretches the general concept of what the instrument can do for both concertina and mandolin. So there is a similarity there.

Harmonic playing has been around for a long time on all the various concertina systems and is even the norm, I think for many, so I don’t think that it is used as a slight of hand sort of trick in any way. I think of harmonic playing as just a full use of the instrument and very effective particularly for solo playing.

Jody

I'm a Hayden Duet player for about 18 months now, so I play everything with bass and chords, and sometimes parallel melodies, but am not yet up to two independent countermelodies.

I was at the Concertina Workshop last April and attended Jody's classes, and bought his "Feet in the Clouds" song book. This book could form an entire course in Duet playing, it has so much variety and different degrees of difficulty in the tunes. And some of them are great fun to play and hear. I practice tunes from it almost every day, and just this evening at a local talent show, played "Little Fat Morning Man", a humorous ditty where you can show various styles of Duet accompaniment. I can't imagine any Duet player's being without this book.

I'm almost afraid to get Jody's new CD, fearing it will totally trash my own style of interpreting his tunes (and probably go twice as fast), but I owe it to Jody and my own growth to get it.

Thanks, Jody -- Mike Knudsen

Gosh Mike, those are mighty kind words. I’m glad you like my tunes. When are you going to make an MP3 and give them to Henk to put on the recorded tunes page? http://www.anglo-concertina.net/links.htm

I would love to hear your version of Little Fat Morning Man.

I don’t tend to play fast on Naked Concertina. It’s not really the right place for that because I want people to hear all the stuff I’m doing and I’m doing too much for speed to sound right. With a band, at a dance in West Virginia, that’s a different story.

Jody

http://cdbaby.com/cd/jodykruskal 

I was at the Concertina Workshop last April and attended Jody's classes, and bought his "Feet in the Clouds" song book. This book could form an entire course in Duet playing, it has so much variety and different degrees of difficulty in the tunes. And some of them are great fun to play and hear. I practice tunes from it almost every day, and just this evening at a local talent show, played "Little Fat Morning Man", a humorous ditty where you can show various styles of Duet accompaniment. I can't imagine any Duet player's being without this book.

I'm almost afraid to get Jody's new CD, fearing it will totally trash my own style of interpreting his tunes (and probably go twice as fast), but I owe it to Jody and my own growth to get it.

Thanks, Jody -- Mike Knudsen

We are currently trying to organise a trip to the UK for Jody in July 2006. THis will form part of the Concertina Convention at Warwick Folk Festival on the weekend of 21/22/23 July.

However, in order to make it viable for him to come over, we really need to organise some more gigs. These can be other festivals, concerts, workshops, master classes or whatever. Jody is planning on being in the UK between 13 and 25 July.

If anybody has any ideas/suggestions, I or he would be glad to hear from you.

Graham

Gosh Mike, those are mighty kind words. I’m glad you like my tunes. When are you going to make an MP3 and give them to Henk to put on the recorded tunes page? http://www.anglo-concertina.net/links.htm

I would love to hear your version of Little Fat Morning Man.

I don’t tend to play fast on Naked Concertina. It’s not really the right place for that because I want people to hear all the stuff I’m doing and I’m doing too much for speed to sound right. With a band, at a dance in West Virginia, that’s a different story.

Jody

http://cdbaby.com/cd/jodykruskal 

Hi Jody. I may be at the point where I can record my playing, using the "Studio B" 4-track cassette that I do my son's follk-rock songs with. Takes a while, but I should try it. Glad to hear there's a Web slot for such things.

I've ordered your CD ( and Grand Picnic in the bargain), and heard the catalog sample of Little Fat Morning Man. You play it a bit faster than I do, but today I found I could go just as fast without messing up too much.

I've been starting off Kiss the Muley as a slow, solo, harmonica imitation, then throwing in the chords and upping the tempo on the repeat. I notice you intro'ed another tune that way.

Re another topic here, it's VERY tempting for a Hayden Duet player to play everything like an accordion -- boom-chick oom-pah, since it's so easy and natural to play root basses and solid chords. So I watch myself and try to throw in more variety on my "new toy."

Keep on squeezin' -- Mike Knudsen

I've been starting off Kiss the Muley as a slow, solo, harmonica imitation, then throwing in the chords and upping the tempo on the repeat. I notice you intro'ed another tune that way.

Re another topic here, it's VERY tempting for a Hayden Duet player to play everything like an accordion -- boom-chick oom-pah, since it's so easy and natural to play root basses and solid chords. So I watch myself and try to throw in more variety on my "new toy."

Hi Mike,

Go for it. Can’t wait to hear your version of Kiss the Muley. We play that one a lot.

In Grand Picnic, we call everything that isn’t straight ahead playing a “trick”. Every player needs a big bag of tricks to pull out of the hat to keep things interesting. Starting slow, as you describe is one of those cool tricks that can be so effective for adding interest. I try not to use it too much though, to avoid “oh no, not that again” syndrome. I’m a big fan of the KISS rule, but I have to remind myself again and again, to keep it simple.

Yeah, variety is the spice of music.

As for recording, you will want to make an MP3 to submit your recording to Henk, so why not just record directly onto your hard drive. Audacity (free download) or Garageband will both let you do that and give you powerful editing tools too.

Jody

We are currently trying to organise a trip to the UK for Jody in July 2006. THis will form part of the Concertina Convention at Warwick Folk Festival on the weekend of 21/22/23 July.

However, in order to make it viable for him to come over, we really need to organise some more gigs. These can be other festivals, concerts, workshops, master classes or whatever. Jody is planning on being in the UK between 13 and 25 July.

If anybody has any ideas/suggestions, I or he would be glad to hear from you.

Graham

Graham,

Thanks for inviting me across the pond to participate in the Warwick Concertina Convention. I’m thrilled to be attending. Perhaps I’ll even get a chance to play some double Anglo tunes with Brian Peters!

As for teaching Anglo techniques, strategies, chord and rhythm devices and such, there is nothing I would like better. It’s always a pleasure to share the music I enjoy so much and to help others deepen their understanding and discover untapped potential in the Anglo. If I had the opportunity to sing and play on stage or better yet, in a more intimate club setting, that would also be a pleasure.

Jody

Hi Mike,

Go for it. Can’t wait to hear your version of Kiss the Muley. We play that one a lot.

In Grand Picnic, we call everything that isn’t straight ahead playing a “trick”. Every player needs a big bag of tricks to pull out of the hat to keep things interesting. Starting slow, as you describe is one of those cool tricks that can be so effective for adding interest. I try not to use it too much though, to avoid “oh no, not that again” syndrome. I’m a big fan of the KISS rule, but I have to remind myself again and again, to keep it simple.

Yeah, variety is the spice of music.

As for recording, you will want to make an MP3 to submit your recording to Henk, so why not just record directly onto your hard drive. Audacity (free download) or Garageband will both let you do that and give you powerful editing tools too.

Jody

Thanks, Jody. "Tricks" describes how I play LIttle Fat Morning Man -- lots of rubati, pauses, style changes, to match the humorous background story (those stories add a lot to your book). BTW, the tune you start slow is Swagering Sylvie, one of my favorites, that I just pump thru with a hard driving rhythm. Different strokes ... but I bet we both play Riverwoods the same (my wife's dad jsut passed away at such a place).

I figured I can feed the audio output of my tape deck's mixer right into my PC's line input, and digitize there, and skip the tape step. But PC fans and hard drives do add noise to the recording. Anyway, I took your link to the recording page, and already downloaded some MP3's of Haydens. I'll check out lots more, and your Anglo playing, but the DLs take a few minutes each.

I still say that for reading thru a melody and chord symbols, nothing beats a Hayden Duet. But your Anglo playing is inspiring and full of verve -- fun!

--Mike Knudsen