Where To Begin

Marinemom

After attending one of our local Celtic Fests, in my hometown, I fell in love with the Concertina. Much to my surprise, my husband just gave me one as a Christmas gift. I've played the clarinet, the oboe, the piano, and the organ, but I just don't have a clue where to start with this, what I'm sure will be a wonderful sounding instrument, should I ever get the hang of it.

Could someone please give me some idea where I should start?

Thanks in advance

To give you pertinent advice, we will need to know what kind (system) of concertina your husband gave you.

Does it play the same note in and out or a different note in and out?

How many buttons on each side and total?

No matter what system there will be books tutors and advice that we can recommend.

It will also help to know what part of the world you live in. There may be a teacher or player we can recommend who lives near you. One of the fastest ways to learn an instrument is by watching and asking a live person for advice.

Your musical background and music reading abilities will come in handy.

Best of luck in all your concertina adventures! And kudos to your husband for a thoughtful and wonderful gift!

Greg

Can you post a picture of it? That might be easier than trying to describe it. Low resolution (no larger than 640 x 480 or so).

I'm not sure how to post pictures, but it is a Hohner D40 Concertina. It has 10 buttons, on each side. I've copied and pasted the link to the website. I hope this helps. I live in the Cincinnati area

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search...38688?src=00630

Edited by Marinemom

Can you post a picture of it? That might be easier than trying to describe it. Low resolution (no larger than 640 x 480 or so).

I'm not sure how to post pictures, but it is a Hohner D40 Concertina. It has 10 buttons, on each side. I've copied and pasted the link to the website. I hope this helps. I live in the Cincinnati area

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search...38688?src=00630

You have what is termed a twenty button anglo concertina. Most likely, the top row is in the key of C, and the bottom is in the key of G, although there are other tunings around.

There are players in your area, and Noel Hill (a very well well known Irish player) comes to Cincinnati once a year for a workshop, I think. You might call Wally Carroll, who lives nearby and builds concertinas, to hook into that event (Google Carroll Concertinas; also Google Noel Hill).

If it is Celtic/Irish concertina you are after, you'd do well to start with Frank Edgley's concertina tutor; Google "Frank Edgley Concertina" and you'll find his site, where that book is sold. For some basic starter tutoring that is particular to your twenty button, go to www.concertina.com and download the anglo tutor by Carlo Minasi, for free. It is 150 years old, but still good for the basics of a 20 button anglo. Most of the tutors for anglo that you might find at your neighborhood general music store are fairly useless for anything but the very basics.

Good luck, and to your Marine son!