Bazza's Video Clip

Had a great day yesterday - Barry ("Bazza" on this forum) came round for lunch, bringing his Wheatstone Aeola. Between courses he played some carols, including a nice version of Ding Dong Merrily on High. I recorded it on my Canon digicam and the result is quite nice - anyone can download it here:

http://www.brightfield.org.uk/dingdong.avi

but its a 14mb file and will take about least ten minutes on broadband connection.

Its even includes a Wallace And Grommet moment when next doors cat strolls past the window.

Tom

PS - please note, two more videos have been added at post 5 of this thread, below

Edited by brightfield

Nicely done. Its the first video I've seen of someone playing an English concertina. Nice performance. And fortunately I was able to download it in under 30 seconds. Makes the high speed internet access worth it.

Thanks to those who have looked at the clip.

I have two or three others too - these two are nearly 50mb and so are very large, but if you have the patience and a broadband connection they are a treat.

In the first, Barry is accompanying himself while singing Danny Deever, a song based on a poem by Rudyard Kipling.

Danny Deever

The second is perhaps the better recording. Note another Wallace And Grommet moment when the cat climbs the tree in the first minute of the clip!

Rounding the Horn

Cheers, Tom

Edited by brightfield

The first one downloaded for me in about ten seconds with broadband connection!

I love the "cat moment," and the little red shed on legs is so British!

This is an English Wheatstone with Wristbands?!

The smile at the end is great!!

The second one took about five minutes to download, must've been in a different format or something. It's a very moving song! It's nice because it has close-ups of his hands on the keys! It looks so effortless when he does it!

The third one downloaded in about three minutes. It's wonderful to watch someone play so well! I like the smirk at the end!

Edited by greenferry

This is an English Wheatstone with Wristbands?!

Yes Greenferry, Barry also plays the Anglo and he had the wristbands fitted to the English because he finds them helpful.

Just for the record, the clips were made with a just a Canon A95 compact camera, using its internal microphone.

I wonder if other people on c.net would be able to make live recordings like this - its really nice to see people play as well as hear them. The only problem is the hosting - I have a monthy download limit on my hosting account and I'm monitoring the detailed stats closely at the moment and so far, these clips have been downloaded 160 times since I put them there yesterday. My monthly allowance is OK for this month but I'm going to have to watch it closely.

Tom

They're all reading "File Not Found" for me. ?@?@?!&$? The www.brightfield.org.uk site comes up fine.

Sorry - the files were downloaded over 160 times in two days (just shows how popular this forum is!), and my ISP download limit was reached. I had to pull the files yesterday afternoon and forgot to come here and tell people.

If you'd like me to mail them to you, I could send you the small one 15mb and see if you like it, then mail you the others if you want to see them. I can do this for anyone else who requests it.

Mail me at tomcunliffe@yahoo.com if you want to take me up on this offer.

Thanks

Tom

They're all reading "File Not Found" for me. ?@?@?!&$? The www.brightfield.org.uk site comes up fine.

Sorry - the files were downloaded over 160 times in two days (just shows how popular this forum is!), and my ISP download limit was reached. I had to pull the files yesterday afternoon and forgot to come here and tell people.

If you'd like me to mail them to you, I could send you the small one 15mb and see if you like it, then mail you the others if you want to see them. I can do this for anyone else who requests it.

Mail me at tomcunliffe@yahoo.com if you want to take me up on this offer.

Thanks

Tom

May I quietly point out that using QuickTime could dramatically reduce the size of the clips. I converted the Bazza clip to MPEG4 and it dropped to 3.2 MB with no visible or audible degradation. At 1 MB there was some degradation at the start of the clip. QuickTime is free (download at Apple, for both platforms). It is capable of doing very high quality clips (examples at the Apple site) .

The catch is that to use QuickTime for the conversion, QuickTime Pro (a $29.99 upgrade, worth every cent) is required as well as a certain knowledge about video formats. I can volunteer to do this - all I need is a link to a site where the clip is (temporarily) stored. Mailing 2 digit-sized attachments is normally not a good idea due to mailbox limits - so that applies to downsized big clips as well :) - but they can be chopped up in two or more parts.

/Henrik

• 2 weeks later...

I am delighted to say that

1. Henrik Muller has converted Barry's video clips to mp4 format, and

2. Henk Van Aalten has added them to the Recorded Tune Link Page

The files are now much reduced in size and can be easily watched by anyone with a reasonable Internet conneciton, and the Apple QuickTime player

Tom

Edited by brightfield