Music Genie Gives You Three Instruments

Helen

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. A Hurdy-Gurdy, like the one that Stefan Brisland-Ferner of Garmarna plays. Those things are so expensive, so it would be best to ask for one from the genie.

2. A 44-button Jeffries that allows me to make a strong subdominant on the push (which Roger Digby considers to be standard). That probably costs more than I'll get for my car, and they seem hard to find, so I'd better ask the genie.

3. The most programmable MIDI-controlled sound modules (allowing all types of synthetic sound design posible) with THIS as a MIDI controller (yes, that is a hyperlink, so click on it).

I would love:

A Ramirez classical guitar with ebony fretboard

A Wheatstone Aeola tenor-treble English concertina, and

A left handed zither (one may dream - it's free!)

But most of all I'd like the talent to do all three of them full justice (dreaming again!) so my playing gives others besides me enjoyment.

Now wouldn't that be lovely!

My choice would be 3 Bosendorfer model 290 extended length grands... with the additional 9-sub-bass notes (in reverse white/black colors) - make them sound just like Oscar Peterson's.... http://www.boesendorfer.com/_english_versi...on/index.html... One for me and one for my two children.... I'd sell my Yahama grand and use the money to buy some great conertinas!

Onward,

Craig

Darn, only three? Let's see...

- a medium-sized chromatic button accordion (which neither my wife nor I can play, but we'd both like to learn).

- The requisite concertina: a Suttner A5 (35-key anglo) in C/G.

- a nice old reed organ in perfect condition. I've wanted one for years, but it just doesn't seem like I'll ever feel that I can really justify the expense.

Runners-up: a Boesendorfer grand piano, the same type Craig mentioned, was actually one of the first things I thought of (even before I read his post) and would be on the list if I was more serious about playing the piano. (There was one at my college. The closest thing I've seen to the ultimate musical instrument; they are truly amazing, but too big for our house.) A top-grade small-to-mid-size steel string guitar. A Hayden duet for me, and a set of Northumbrian pipes for my wife.

In the fridge: vegetarian samosas, fresh Royal Gala apples, and Dove Bars.

And by the way, a Bronx cheer to asking for the most expensive thing you can think of, instead of what you really want. :P

-Tom

;) Hey, I can do the fridge things you asked for. So you'll get something for sure.

Oh great, "for sure", I sound like Valley Girl.

Well, not that there's anything wrong with being a Valley Girl.

Help.

:D Okay, the music genie question...

I would want a singing voice (vocal cords), a piano-accordion, and an English concertina.

If I could squeeze in a fourth and a fifth, I'd want some type of old reed organ, and a bamboo flute.

I have all of these, but in various conditions!

If anyone has a spare wish for the genie I could do with you making a wish for me as I used mine up ages ago.

I need a concertina to bring to our get together as I sold mine (stupid I know) so if you can get the genie to grant you another wish please ask for a C/G so I can bring it along.

BUT if the genie is *kind* i will magically arrive with the *perfick* (Darling Buds of May Pop Larkin) concertina and all I will have to do is sit there and it will play all by itself making me look really good :rolleyes:

Spare wishes roll on.

Sharron

Changed my mind (I am female) and I don't want an instrument to play itself.

I want to *play* it, I just realised I can't stand my fingers being idle. I am hooked on those little buttons and the breathing of the bellows.

Oh help, I think I have become an addict and am suffering withdrawl symptoms.

My fridge is definitely going to come in handy as I will be an alcoholic with the stress soon if I have to sit and watch you all play.

Sharron :blink:

Hey a player concertina. Why not, there're player pianos.
Seems to me I saw one on eBay a while back. Not a Wheatstone or Jeffries, though.
Aw gee, I was kidding. Are you serious?
Serious.
I saw a whole museum full of 19th century mechanical musical curiosities once (it was near Utica, NY, but I think it no longer exists). There were dozens of bellows-powered free reed instruments driven by paper rolls with holes punched in them. They were operated by turning a crank. Think: organ grinder, little monkey...

Hey David, I bet the crank didn't like being turned. Probably why he (she) was cranky.

Yepper, Sharron, if you watch me play you will definitely turn to alcohol.

Okay, so you decided you want to play the instrument yourself. What kind are you getting?

Aw David, I want to see that museum. I wondered if parts of it exist somewhere for public viewing. You, the master of the internet search, ought to be able to find out. If it intrigues you.

Edited by Helen

Yepper, Sharron, if you watch me play you will definitely turn to alcohol.

I suppose that's better than turning to a pillar of salt, but will she turn even if she doesn't listen?

I saw a whole museum full of 19th century mechanical musical curiosities once (it was near Utica, NY, but I think it no longer exists).
Aw David, I want to see that museum. I wondered if parts of it exist somewhere for public viewing. You, the master of the internet search, ought to be able to find out. If it intrigues you.
Well, there is the Empire State Theater Organ and Musical Inatrument Museum in Syracuse, NY. If the one near Utica no longer exists (pity, if true), maybe Syracuse got some of the contents?

And by the way, a Bronx cheer to asking for the most expensive thing you can think of, instead of what you really want. 

Oh, alright! In that case (remember, with each instrument comes the ability to play it, or at least time to learn it):

• A set of Northumbrian Pipes
  • A 44-button Jeffries anglo that allows me to make a strong subdominant on the push (which Roger Digby considers to be standard).
  • A chromatic button accordion whose bass chords can growl like those of a diatonic accordion, and some treble switches that allow the treble notes to sound like a cajun accordion (for when the 'cajun demands), and allows me to use it as a MIDI controller if I want to play synthesized sounds.

If the genie told me that one of them were not possible, and I had to choose something else, I would choose a violin/fiddle.