The Beatles And The Concertina

Howdy:

I recently acquired a 2 CD "bootleg" recording of alternate takes from The Beatles iconic album "Rubber Soul" entitled "Soul Sessions"

The main attraction, aside from the great music, was the cover photo which shows George Harrison holding what appears to be a six sided, rosewood ended English Concertina. George's fingers also appear to be quite knurled, as I'm asuming he never got to read any of the postings on fingering technique here on C.net!

Additionally, John is shown seated, playing a harp, Ringo, some sort of ancient stringed instrument which looks like something you would see on an ancient greek vase and Paul is holding some sort of other strange stringed guitar looking instrument.

I know that the English Concertina, played by Randy Stein, was used on John and Yoko's "Double Fantasy", released just about 25 years ago this month and completed just before John was assassinated 25 years ago on December 8, 1980.

I was wondering if there were any other known uses of the concertina on any other Beatle related recordings.

Did The Beatles utilize the concertina in any of their recordings as a group?

I'm pretty sure that the cover art of this bootleg has nothing to do with the recordings which accompany it, though maybe that's not correct.

Have fun!

Perry Werner

PS: I'm afraid I do not the ability to scan the cover art of this CD at this time. Sorry. If I ever get a scanner you'll get the scan!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy:

I was wondering if there were any other known uses of the concertina on any other Beatle related recordings.

I am sure one of our C.net members played concertina on Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus -

We all stand together. Perhaps he could enlighten us as to whether this is true or not!

[*]A tendril-bearing, climbing or sprawling annual plant (Cucumis sativus) widely cultivated for its edible cylindrical fruit that has a green rind and crisp white flesh.

[*]The fruit of this plant, eaten fresh or pickled

Oh, I thought that might be the case :ph34r: .

Interestingly, I've just been listening to the bonus tracks on the reissue of The Kinks' album "Arthur" - and I'm 99% certain there's an EC playing on the song "Drivin'"; sadly there are no credits for anyone other than the main band members on the inlay, and a cursory Google search revealed nothing of any use... anyone else familiar with the record?

"I am sure one of our C.net members played concertina on Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus -

We all stand together."

I heard/saw this song the other day on Magic on Cable TV. Think it was John Nixon playing. He can be heard clearly twice:- plays high (Tenor English?) at the beginning; and then about half way through plays again (very low bass English?)

Andy

Howdy:

Do you think the "frog" refers to the sound of the instrument(s) in question?

Is this another negative connotation for our instrument?

Or do you think if Paul gave this nomer to his accompanists, was he trying to be cute (which I'm guessing is the case, whether it refers to the concertina or not) or was there an underlying dislike of the sound of the instrument?

Also, now that I think of it, are there not negative connotations for just about all musical instruments.

As a saxophonist for many years, I was hit up with many criticisms of not just my own playing, but of the sound and appearance of the instrument in all uses and by all players. It is of course, the "the devil's instrument" and it's uses in many media have given it the reputation of having evil, mysterious and of course seductive and romantic/ sexual connotation.

I'm guessing that most of these originate from those who do not or have never attempted to play any instrument, though I know for sure, many of the comments come from players of other instruments which no doubt have a "better reputation" among the masses.

Maybe a subject for another topic!

Have fun,

Perry Werner

Howdy:

I am sure one of our C.net members played concertina on Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus -

We all stand together. Perhaps he could enlighten us as to whether this is true or not!

: Hi Friends,

Yes I am guilty of taking part in the session with Paul cCartney and on the two sessions I attended in 1984 I played all 3-Wheatstones---Treble -Baritone and Double bass.

All 3- can be heard together with The Kings Singers for the 13-bar introduction.

Although the original Single disc and Music Video will probably be long out of print, there is a C.D. "PAUL McCARTNEY - ALL THE BEST" CDP 7 48507 2 . I found this C.D. in the shop in The Cavern in Liverpool.

Good Luck and I Wish all .net friends a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

My location is in CHESHIRE U.K. JOHN NIXON.

Howdy:

Do you think the "frog" refers to the sound of the instrument(s) in question?

Is this another negative connotation for our instrument?

Or do you think if Paul gave this nomer to his accompanists, was he trying to be cute (which I'm guessing is the case, whether it refers to the concertina or not) or was there an underlying dislike of the sound of the instrument?

The answer's actually a lot simpler - the song was the soundtrack to a short animated film called "Rupert and the Frog Chorus" - featuring children's favourite Rupert The Bear. The film was full of cartoon frogs, who were given the non-McCartney voices in the song.

• 5 months later...

Back in December I promised.......

"PS: I'm afraid I do not the ability to scan the cover art of this CD at this time. Sorry. If I ever get a scanner you'll get the scan!"

Now I can deliver......

Howdy:

6 months later I finally have a scanner and as promised the CD cover art from this Beatles Bootleg (which by the way I tried to play on my CD player and can't. I'll try my computer next. That's what I get for buy a bootleg!)

Here it is (I hope!)

Have fun,

Perry Werner

post-168-1149699060_thumb.jpg

Edited by Perry Werner

Why? Was that about cucumbers too? I don't like them much. Over-rated in my opinion. They repeat on you without having given sufficient satisfaction to be worth the trouble. Now turks-head squash; that's a different gourd altogether.