The Beatles And The Concertina

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's kind of ironic, George Harrison holding the concertina. I have a (much younger) cousin who likes the Beatles a lot but who seems to think I'm not quite as 'cool,' since I play the concertina. (...Not sure, totally, if he really thinks that.) So, I'll have to show him this pic, hehe.

Congrats on getting a new scanner, Perry. I recently got one of those all-in-one printer dealies, I love it. Just about does everything but the dishes!

Warning: OT but likely humorous for geeks

quote name='Henk van Aalten' date='Dec 14 2005, 05:07 PM' post='31089']

cucumbers? :ph34r:

1. A tendril-bearing, climbing or sprawling annual plant (Cucumis sativus) widely cultivated for its edible cylindrical fruit that has a green rind and crisp white flesh.
  2. The fruit of this plant, eaten fresh or pickled

May I also add

1. A fruit known to glow when electricity is applied to it, particularly after being pickled.

A story not germane to the thread, but hopefully humorous just the same.

Back when I was working on computer operating systems we were given a newly designed chip that we needed to port the OS onto. Being typical engineers we were always playing around with various gadgets and one day we took a pickle and plugged electrodes into each end. We found when we started increasing the current the pickle would glow from a dark green to a bright green, depending on how much we put through it. We also found that point at which the pickle would explode.

As a result, when it came to naming the chip we called it the "EV-1" for "Electric Vlasic Model 1" (Vlasic being a pickle producing company). The inside joke was that if you applied enough electricity to either the chip or its namesake, either one would explode. Which we did to both on numerous occasions.

For you computer geeks in the crowd, this chip was later renamed Alpha by our company, Digital Equipment Corporation.

...plugged electrodes into each end. We found ... that if you applied enough electricity to either the chip or its namesake, either one would explode. ... this chip was later renamed Alpha...

I think Ohmega would have been more appropriate. :)

Howdy:

So does this mean that if Paul played the concertina he would reverse his hands (cross handed playing???, now there's an idea!!) and/or the ends of the instrument??

Have fun,

Perry

Edited by Perry Werner

Howdy:

So does this mean that if Paul played the concertina he would reverse his hands (cross handed playing???, now there's an idea!!) and/or the ends of the instrument??

Have fun,

Perry

Nah, he'd just play EC, where it doesn't matter which hand is dominant!

;)

Steven

Now that's kind of ironic, George Harrison holding the concertina. I have a (much younger) cousin who likes the Beatles a lot but who seems to think I'm not quite as 'cool,' since I play the concertina. (...Not sure, totally, if he really thinks that.) So, I'll have to show him this pic, hehe.

Of course, George Harrison was better known for being a closet-ukelele player, and in fact was main sponsor for the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain for many years. They are now quite cool - well they've been on Later with Jools and appeared on quite a few big festivals.

Getting back on topic, what if one of the current crop of pop musicians were to champion the concertina? Then we could have a Concertina Orchestra of Great Britain. OK, I know there used to be many concertina bands/orchestras - we have been listening to some of them for possible inclusion in the forthcoming English International and Duet International CD collections.

Now that would be really cool at next year's Glastonbury!

Graham

Of course, George Harrison was better known for being a closet-ukelele player, and in fact was main sponsor for the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain for many years..................................

Graham

Aha, well, I did know that he played the ukelele, but only because I actually had the opportunity to meet George and saw the uke -- I had no idea that it was more than just a substitution for a guitar while having to travel.

And, I'll add that I didn't meet him due to any musical connection (hehe, just wait until you see the CD cover of George and me, me with my EC.... :D ). And, never got very familiar with him, just said a few 'hellos.'

Well, furthermore...

Since we're on the subject of bootleg CD covers, kinda....I share the one that I did with Strauss and Brahms, and then the one that they seemed to prefer, for some reason:

Heheh, not really.

edit: okay, the pics showed up in reverse order, but, you get the idea.

Edited by bellowbelle

I'm attempting to arrange "Martha My Dear" (McCartney/White album) on the concertina. Has anyone else ever tried or does anyone else have it on concertina? If so, please give me some advice. In my meager attempt, it appears a 38 button 'tina would be better suited to the task. (I only have a 30 button C/G presently.)

Thanks.

No, as with his bass guitar (strung backward) he would have an instrument prepared in mirror image to a right-handed concertina. Libba Cotten or Bill Staines would play a rightie concertina upside down.

Happy 64, Paul.

• 7 years later...

While we're reviving threads from 8yrs ago (don't get me wrong, I'm okay with it), the other instruments in this album cover:

post-168-1149699060_thumb.jpg

The item Ringo has appears to be an Egyptian simsimiyya. What Paul has looks like a Central Asian rubab. Just an FYI for these interesting props.

Edited by MatthewVanitas

Howdy:

Have fun,

Perry

Nah, he'd just play EC, where it doesn't matter which hand is dominant!

wink.gif

Steven

Thanks for reviving this interesting thread, not just for letting me find this post, which made me smile on a bad day... :)

Might record and post a cover from my former repertoire soon...

Best - Wolf