So I Bought A Concertina Off Ebay, Now What?

mick

Hi All,

Well I bought this off ebay for 60 bucks aussie money. See pic attached.

Wow its black and has 30 buttons! thats all I know.

My last effort was the recorder in form 3 and I got banned from it. Gee we had great teachers. I was pretty good at making fire engine sounds on the mouthorgan when I was three years old. Thats my musical background.

I chose the concertina as I have always been fascinated by it, those old b&w movies, even a hobo could play it. Then theres seeing someone in action in a folk band or similar, wow looks like fun! Then theres always the chance that I could actually learn to play it and join a band.

I love R.E.M. and I figure it will be fun to play along to some songs eventually as most of their songs have a part that could be played by the concertina.

So what do I do when it arrives? What book do I need? What about learning from a DVD if there are any?

Any dos and donts or tips for me? Id love any help anyone has to offer!

cheers

mick

post-1534-1134269545_thumb.jpg

Edited by mick

So what do I do when it arrives? What book do I need? What about learning from a DVD if there are any? -- mick

Mick,

I just got my concertina a few days ago, so this is a beginner's perspective. I bought a book, and researched everything on the Web. My own experience, however, has convinced me that the best way to begin learning how to play it, is to just start fooling around and experimenting with it. I always hated music lessons. I like teaching myself. I know enough music to read music, but I really want to be able to just play the tunes I already know by ear to start with.

So the first two days I spent some time trying to do the scales. This got to be pretty boring, and by the third day, I just decided to try finding the right notes for one of my favorite tunes. It was a little slow going at first, but I found that by just experimenting (without looking at my fingers), I was beginning to "get a feel" for the instrument.

This is probably a dumb analogy that serious musicians will think is ridiculous, but I think it's a bit like learning to type. Each finger has to learn several different values, and if you look at your fingers, they just get slower, not faster. The way I finally learned to type fast was by taking the leap of faith and not looking at my fingers. It was slow at first, and I made mistakes, but I kept doing it and now I can type 75 words per minute. I think the brain has to create new pathways to handle the new values and movements, and each time you pick up the instrument and work with it, you get a little better each time. Eventually your brain "tunes in" to moving your fingers to the right notes, without having to think about it.

I just received a Simon Thoumire CD I ordered, and just listening to him play, I think his brain must have phenomenal connections to have that much control over the instrument. It's a lot of hard work and requires tenacity to play like that.

So, based on my little bit of experience and what has worked for me, seems like the best thing is to experiment and get to know the instrument any way that seems best to you.

Thanks Barbara, seasons greetings. Unfortunately I cant read a note of music BUT im a fast typer, so who knows how hard it will be. I will try not to look at my fingers, I thinks thats going to be important.

Mick,

That's a handsome concertina you got for only 60 bucks aussie! I think you'll have a grand time learning to play it.

Yup, always did seem like typing to me too... at least on EC. My first system was AC, what Mick has. That for me was much more complicated and never got the hang of it.

Barbara, glad to see you are just jumping in. I never liked music lessions either.

Edited by Mark Evans

Thanks mark, I ma have bitten off moe than I can chew but since I dont know easy from hard Im in a good position. For 60 bucks I expect its some cheap chinese copy or something, but it doesnt matter. For the money I wont be too dissapoinited if Im no good at it :)

I don't like music lessons either, and I teach the damned things! Not concertina, though.

Fooling around until you work some stuff out is fun, but it will limit you. You will learn faster if you find some guidance, and the faster you learn, the more fun you'll have. I personally like a book by a chap named Bertram Levy called The Anglo Concertina demystified and what you have is an Anglo concertina. There is also a video course by John Williams, which is published by Homespun tapes. I don't know where you can order these in Oz--perhaps a forum reader from there can help. There is also a CD-Rom course from an outfit called Mad for Trad that has some good reviews.

Additionally, you ought to check out the other part of concertina.net, the non-forum part, and off to the right hand side of the page are links to many topics, including learning ones.

As a teacher, I recommend that you figure out how to play a simple scale--do re mi--first, then fit tunes to the notes and patterns you have found. The anglo cna seem a bit strange at first, as far as the note layout is concerned. The English is a bit more straight forward, once you realize the scale bounces from one side to another. The anglo is more like two 10 holed harmonicas glued one on top of the other.

You at least need to find out how to play a scale. Ignoring the top row for a while is a good idea.

Have fun, is the main thing.

Thanks semaj1950 for some good advice, will check it out.

Hi Mick,

Where abouts in Australia are you? There are a few Aussie concertina players lurking around. :)

Cheers

Morgana

Hi Mick,

I have learned to play a number of instruments. In every case I have found it much easier and faster to learn and progress after watching someone play in person. That experience could range from a number of lessons; a single encounter with a teacher or player; or sitting in the first row at a concert or workshop.

Having fun and spending time playing your instrument is most important. Learning good technique and getting insights and shortcuts to play the music you love will save you time and the aggrevation of breaking poor habits. The afore mentioned books and videos will help you get started.

Australia has a great National Folk Festival at which a number of concertina players regularly attend. In March I believe? (Morgana? Malcom? Chris?)

There are some wonderful players and afficionados in your part of the world. One live encounter is worth a hundred practice hours.

Enjoy your concertina adventure!

Greg

In every case I have found it much easier and faster to learn and progress after watching someone play in person. That experience could range from a number of lessons; a single encounter with a teacher or player; or sitting in the first row at a concert or workshop. -- Greg

Mick,

After reading Greg's post, I should qualify my previous post by adding that I've had occasion to observe numerous players in person, for many years now, including Ian Robb and Lou Killen who are among my favorites for the English concertina. I imagine it would be next to impossible to get the hang of it very quickly if you've never seen a player up close, though. In addition to the folkfests and workshops, perhaps there are sessions at local folk clubs and pubs that you could attend, so you can start getting a fix on how it's played. You might run into someone who knows of a person who could give you some lessons, too.

Edited by greenferry

I imagine it would be next to impossible to get the hang of it very quickly if you've never seen a player up close, though.

There are always exceptions, of course.

Simon Thoumire taught himself, in isolation, and the result is phenomenal. Not like anybody else, though.

Hi Yall, thanks for the Input. Im guessing already Im gunna need a long lost forgotten neglected part of my brain to form a miracle!

I have learned to play a number of instruments

Youre one of those people I find amazing then greg. I reckon musical talent is a gift. Even when I hear a song Im amazed how someone can write a song and the music as well and not copy anyone else. hats off to all Musicians I reckon. Imagine the world without music?

I imagine it would be next to impossible to get the hang of it very quickly if you've never seen a player up close, though

Ohh deary me. It has been a while. I remember how they do it but never studied it!

Simon Thoumire ? Hmm Im gunna have to be the next him!!

cheers

mick

ps it arrives tomorrow i hope

I reckon musical talent is a gift.

A professional musician who plays several instruments once told me he's always amazed when somebody comes up and says "That's a real gift you have!" He said, It's a lot of hard work is what it really is.

The important thing is to keep doing it, even if it doesn't sound great or you don't think you're getting anywhere fast. Breakthroughs come in spurts at unexpected times, after a lot of hard work.

I definitely agree with Barbara. Yes it's nice if you have the knack for it... but how are you going to know that if you dont try? :P

Way back in my former life when I was teaching folk harp I used to tell my students that "Talent = 1% inspiration and 99% persperation". If you're willing to put the time and effort into it, there's no stopping you. :)

There are fortnightly beginners slow Irish sessions on in town, held alternatively at the Celtic Club in Queen Street, and Father Flanagans Pub in Smith Street, Collingwood. They have already finished up for this year, and from memory start up again in February. If you're interested, drop me a line with your email and I'll pass it on to Mark, who organises these sessions.

I'll be around over Christmas/New Year, so if you want to get together for a cuppa and a look at the basics, I'd be more than happy. The best advice given to me when I started was to practice playing a scale to get used to the different notes on the push and pull. If you're interested drop me a line and I'll give you a more detailed run down on how to do this without having to read music :).

Anyway best of luck with it all, and welcome to Concertina.net :)

Cheers

Morgana

When I started playing I put my concertina somewhere where I had to walk past it several times a day. The rule was that every time I went past it I had to pick it up and play something. It makes sure that you don't forget to practice and also stops you from get a feeling of "having to be in the mood" to play and restricting your practice.

Incidentaly there is an similar thing mentioned in David Shepherd the artist's first autobiography about when he was an apprentice artist. His teacher rounded on him for saying he "wasn't in the right mood" to paint, saying that that attitude wasn't going to pay the rent.

Robin Madge