I Need This Like I Need A Hole In My Head

Funny, I thought only guys in midlife crisis bought stuff like this (said he, from experience). I bought a melodeon. Learned from Larry Miller how to fix them up. Fixed it up, it came out pretty nice. And guess what? I still play concertina all the time.

Well, don't expect any help from me. I'm the woman who bought a harmonium becuase it is the largest living relative of the concertina and the guy in the shop was about to turn it into a desk ...

Lord help you if anyone ever offers an Albertiddle for sale ...

Chris

Move to another country. He won't ship overseas. Problem solved!

MC

I have a small homeless harmonium, currently living in a shed, so the UK is not an option. It is a wonderfully named "W.C. Burden". It shares the shed with a bulky Yamaha electronic organ, also homeless, so its not lonely.

Edited by wes williams

Well Rhomylly here goes

These are the questions my wife asks me in decisions like this

A) Can we afford it (Taking into consideration postage and packing from America will cost about £35-£40

B) Where would we put it

C) Have you got time to play it

D)Have you the expertise to repair it.

E) You have a Concertina Why do you want one of these.

F) Will the colour match the curtains.

If you can answer all these questions positivly buy it ,if you cannot Don`t.

Al and Al`s wife

You're supposed to be regaling me with horror stories of how much it will cost to repair and stuff like that!

Cost to repair:

... In parts and materials, you don't know (because you haven't yet disassembled the instrument to see what it really needs), which means it will almost certainly be more than you think, unless you just never get around to doing the repairs, in which case the cost will be whatever you paid for the instrument.

... In time, you also don't know, but... do you currently have spare time that you need to fill by restoring an instrument? If not, where do you think you'll get it from? Not by taking attention away from your family.

... In family tension... I'm reminded of someone (I think Paul R. knows who) that abandoned her concertina-repair business when she found herself yelling at her child to keep hands out of the parts.

I suggest you let this one go by. Or suggest to the Salvation Army that you know a homeless individual who needs care and assistance. ;) Then when your daughter is old enough to help you, you can look around for a deserving "pet" at your local free-reed shelter. :)

Al, she really asks about the curtains???

I haven't the skill, the time, the tools or the parts to repair it myself, which would mean shipping it off to someone else...once I saved up the $$ to pay them. And all the good places (BB, HMT, BobT, etc) are probably so backed up my daughter would be old enough to play it in her high school band before it was fixed.

And I don't have time to improve my skills on the Edgley, much less time to even learn new tunes.

But it's so cute...and so lonely...and it is basically playable...

And $10 plus $40 postage I could certainly afford...

Alan's wife and mine are kindred spirits, (is your wife small and fierce?).

However, back to business. The melodeon can be a fine instrument in the right hands, but preferably a long way away. If your heart is set on one fine, but your concertina would get lonely if you neglected it to master the black arts of a G/C box. It is not even a very pretty one!

Chris

No I lied Rhomylly about the curtains,it was the wallpaper!!

Not really small Chris or fierce but sadly, is always right,even if she is not.

Anyone however who has put up with me,my playing and many annoying habits deserves a medal.

Do not take any notice of me Rhomylly,I talked Helen out of taking on a dog from her builder and the following week she went out and got two Cocker Spaniels to add to her collection. If I talk you out of this Melodion you will bid on a Clarinet or something next week.

Al