Sticking Buttons

In an effort to encourage my youngest to play the english concertina, like 'is dear old Dad, I recently got hold of a Wheatstone Mayfair. The problem is that the buttons on one side stick. (If I can find tune just in the right hand I'm OK). I assume that the left hand end must have got wet (?) at some stage. What is the safest and easiest way to correct this fault? The pads seem alright, as do the springs. Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Chris

I seem to remember that the mayfair design does not have guide pegs on the key base, and that the key bodies plunge straight into the action board key guide holes.

I would carefully ream the guide holes to ensure that there is no rised end grain or pinching in the wood plies that are holding the keys against the spring action.

By ream, if you do not possess a reamer, you could use the correct size of twist drill and spin it in your fingers, do not re-drill as such!

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

I will try that. You are quite right about the action, but it is actually quite smooth on the right side! It is only on the left side that they stick in when you push them. I can't see why they should stick, and I did wonder about sanding or reaming the holes, I just didn't want to go ahead without advice. My good concertinas have always been so reliable that the only 'repair' that I have had to do was to remove fluff fromthe odd reed! I looked in your book, but stickin buttons doesn't seem to be covered! Hence the plea for advice as I am sure someone else must have had a simillar problem at some time.

Chris

Chris

Could the end plate have got out of line so that the buttons are travelling through two holes (one in the end, one in the action board) that are not aligned? Its the only theory I can find to esplain why the problem shoud only exist in one end. Close inspection of the buttons may show a wera pattern that would give you a clue as to where the buttons were rubbing excessivly.