Lou Killen's Concertina

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add that I recently discovered a CD I hadn't heard before, with Lou Killen singing and accompanying on English concertina. Probably most of you have heard it, but I didn't see any reference to it when I did a Search on Concertina.net. Perhaps the people who are keeping lists have them on their lists somewhere. This is really worthwhile listening, lively at times, reflective at others.

"Along the Coaly Tyne: Old and New Northumbrian Songs." TSCD498 Topic Records 1999 ASIN: B00000I59K

It features Lou Killen, Johnny Handle, Tom Gilfellon, Colin Ross, and Alistair Anderson. There are some really beautiful English concertina accompaniment pieces on this CD, and the singing is *awesome.* TWO English players -- Lou and Alistair!

I was delighted to discover this!!

Full track listing here:

Wow! That album must be about 20 years old? I didn't realise AA was on it though.

Just to clarify:

This CD appears to be a reissue of a series of EPs (extended play) 45 rpm records issued in the early 1960s, including:

Johnny Handle, "Stottin' Doon the Waall" (Topic)

Lou Killen, "Northumbrian Garland" (Topic)

A "Living Tradition" review of the CD is here

Excerpt: "I had to switch it off to avoid being carried off into a nostalgic daydream, for here again are the heady days of the British folk scene of the 1960s. ... if you are a newcomer to the folk scene and missed these performers the first time round then this CD will show what you missed and if your Dansette record player has stopped working or has chewed up your original 45s then replace them now."

Edited by greenferry

Does anybody have any recent information on Lou Killen? His website is not responding http://www.louiskillen.com -- has it moved? I was able to access his website about three weeks ago, and he had updated it from last June when he was experiencing medical issues; it showed a couple of gigs in December 2005, I think. I hope he's all right.

This CD appears to be a reissue of a series of EPs (extended play) 45 rpm records issued in the early 1960s...

A second reissue? I have what I believe is the same collection (same title and personnel) as an LP.

By the way, I thought EP's were 33rpm discs in 45rpm size, not actual 45's. "Extended Play" meaning they ran longer than the same-size 45's. Can anybody confirm or refute that?

I was able to locate Lou's website by Googling "louiskillen" and clicking on "cached." Here is his last personal update:

Does anyone have recent information?

June 2005

Another long gap, I know, for which I apologise to those who keep checking in to see if there is anything new on this part of the site. I'm also sorry that I was unable to appear at the Cobh Maritime Festival. What I thought was the 'flu turned out to be a kidney infection, an addition to the problems caused by the uretoscopy I had in late May. This is on going at the moment but I'll attempt to let you all know when I'm well again.

The great loss for me in April was the death of my great friend Cyril Tawney. He wrote, in my opinion, the finest lyrical songs to be heard amongst us in the last fifty years. While there are many good songwriters among us none, I think, had quite the delicacy of touch he had. And we mustn't overlook his contribution to the body of traditional song that he found and presented to us all. His presence will be greatly missed.

You'll forgive me if I keep this short for now.

Keep in good health, if you can!

Aye!

Louis

post-1501-1134480596_thumb.jpg

Pic from website

Edited by greenferry

By the way, I thought EP's were 33rpm discs in 45rpm size, not actual 45's. "Extended Play" meaning they ran longer than the same-size 45's. Can anybody confirm or refute that?

Probably right. It's from the era of "record players," that's all I know!!

that is correct - at least for the U.K. EP's usually had 2 or 3 tracks on each side compared to one for a 45rpm 7" single.

- John Wild

4 tracks on a 45?

Either it's much bigger than a normal 45, or those are very short tracks. :unsure:

I thought I had better test my memory by looking up an old EP in my loft, and must correct my previous post. They are 45rpm. there seems to be plenty of room to accommodate 2 or 3 tracks per side. Some of my old 7" singles as I recall had tracks varying in length from around 2 minutes to 4 1/2 minutes.

- John Wild