Buy Concertina

respi

Hi,

I’m looking for a small, light button instrument to play some melodies and also accords to accompany singing.

Two years ago I bought a Stagi A 18 (English miniature concertina with 18 buttons) and encountered 2 main problems:

1. The sound isn’t nice at all. It is very sharp. You cannot play loud or quiet, but always only at the same loudness.

2. I have quite large hands, and every time I played for a while, my hands hurt due to the position.

Problem 1 is for me more important than problem 2.

Now I’m looking for an other concertina. I thought of an anglo concertina (due to my large hands). Is this an erroneous idea? I know I’m then limited with the chromatic playing.

In the web-site “concertina.net” the is written in the buyer’s guide, that the only actual industrial concertina manufacturer (therefor also a chance to get low price instruments) is Stagi, who uses accordion reeds. Now I found that Hohner also sells concertinas. I contacted Hohner and they told me that their reeds are not accordion-type, but special concertina-type reeds. Do you know more about this?

For the sound: In the end I’m looking for a concertina with a smooth sound, more similar to the mouth organ (harp). Between the lower price models: Which concertina would you recommend?

I would be pleased to get some advice.

Hi Respi,

I can't comment on the anglo/english hand-size issue.

As for the sounds and reed types. A cheap Hohner concertina certainly does not have true concertina reeds. It will have accordion reeds although they may be slightly modified (I have no idea what the difference is btw).

But I don't think that is your problem. I have a Stagi and an Edgley concertina. Both have "accordion" type reeds but a) I guess some accordion reeds are better than others and B) the quality of the sound is driven by other factors as well as the reeds.

I had the same experience of the Stagi sound as you describe but my Edgley concertina sounds very sweet and nothing whatsoever like the Stagi. So I wouldn't worry too much about the reeds issue. If you can try and get your hands on a variety of instruments to see how you like the sounds and if you can't there are enough music files on the web which will give you an idea of what sounds you can expect.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Ritchie_Kay

I don't know what Hohner was thinking when they spoke to you, but when we here on Concertina.net refer to concertina reeds, I believe most of us are talking about reeds made the way Wheatstone made them over 150 years ago: tongue clamped or riveted in a brass (or aluminum) frame that is typically tapered to fit in a dovetail slot in, or sometimes attached by screws to, a reedpan of (usually) wood. [Wow, a lot of qualifiers there.] I don't see how Hohner (or anyone charging less than 1500 USD new) can afford to make these. I'm confident in guessing that Hohner uses what all the rest of us would call accordion-style or accordion-design reeds. (tongues clamped in larger, flat, rectangular frames that are aluminum in most cases)

Note that I'm not including Chemnitzers/Bandoneons in what I write above.

That being said, if what you want is a smooth sound, these reeds might suit you just fine. I'll let others comment on various models.

For the sound: In the end I’m looking for a concertina with a smooth sound, more similar to the mouth organ (harp). Between the lower price models: Which concertina would you recommend?

Don´t take a new HOHNER. They are made in China and the glue stinks (someone told me) Take a look at http://www.akkordeon-schau-manufaktur.de/produkte.htm if you want a two row. Good craftmanship and a fair price. Better than any STAGI.

Best would be to safe the money and buy a middle ranged concertina or contact Chris Algar.

I looked at Silvetta site and didn't find any order information or list of stores selling their instruments. Looks like Weltmeister.

Concertina is sure ugly.

Have you played it? What is the sound?

Do they take personal orders and how to contact them?

Thanks.

Have you played it? What is the sound?

Do they take personal orders and how to contact them?

Thanks.

Yes, very true: Ugly! Looks like toy.

Take a look at mine https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/klaus-guhl/Klingenthal

It´s a double reed with an additonal Bb/C# instead of another tone (Pinky, right, I.) As a double reed it has a fat sound, warm & heavy. Easy to play, enough air, not to loud. Not as elegant as my Norman, of course but better than any HOHNER or STAGI. Perfect pitched. So all you can expect for little money.

If you want to order you will have to write them. They have different models. You can have single tone or another colour. Price is 300,- euro

Edited by klaus guhl

Hi,

You could try speaking to Chris Algar of Barleycorn Concertinas. He will give you good, unbiased advice and he also carries a good stock of both English and Anglo instruments. It really depends what kind of music you want to play. For good instrument tone it may be better to buy a vintage instrument, which will have better resale value than the less expensive accordion reeded instrments, if you decide to change your mind later.

Charles Mackay

I’m looking for a small, light button instrument to play some melodies and also accords to accompany singing.

If you tell us where you live, we might be able to suggest someone nearby who can give you personal assistance.

If you tell us where you live, we might be able to suggest someone nearby who can give you personal assistance.

I'm living in Basel/Switzerland. Wold be fine if you know someone near Basel.

regards

I don't know what Hohner was thinking when they spoke to you, but when we here on Concertina.net refer to concertina reeds, I believe most of us are talking about reeds made the way Wheatstone made them over 150 years ago: tongue clamped or riveted in a brass (or aluminum) frame that is typically tapered to fit in a dovetail slot in, or sometimes attached by screws to, a reedpan of (usually) wood. [Wow, a lot of qualifiers there.] I don't see how Hohner (or anyone charging less than 1500 USD new) can afford to make these. I'm confident in guessing that Hohner uses what all the rest of us would call accordion-style or accordion-design reeds. (tongues clamped in larger, flat, rectangular frames that are aluminum in most cases)

Note that I'm not including Chemnitzers/Bandoneons in what I write above.

That being said, if what you want is a smooth sound, these reeds might suit you just fine. I'll let others comment on various models.

Thanks for your answer. if I understand you correctly, you mean that chemnitzers and bandeons have a smoother sound? Actually I'm looking for a small instrument, therefore I came to the concertina. Two das ago I had the chance to play a hohner english 48 buttons, and its sound was quite nice to me (smooth and flexible). What is worrying me know is that everyone in this discussion forum seems to have a bad opinion about hohner...the other negative point of the hohner is the price: 1350 Swiss Francs, that is about 1000 US$. This is not cheap at all (if i compare e.g. with Jackie or Stagi...). I think for this price I could get perhaps a better instrument?

Hi,

You could try speaking to Chris Algar of Barleycorn Concertinas. He will give you good, unbiased advice and he also carries a good stock of both English and Anglo instruments. It really depends what kind of music you want to play. For good instrument tone it may be better to buy a vintage instrument, which will have better resale value than the less expensive accordion reeded instrments, if you decide to change your mind later.

Charles Mackay

Dear Charles,

could you send me an eMail-address of Chris Algar?

Thanks in advanced,

respi

Thanks for your answer. if I understand you correctly, you mean that chemnitzers and bandeons have a smoother sound? Actually I'm looking for a small instrument, therefore I came to the concertina. Two das ago I had the chance to play a hohner english 48 buttons, and its sound was quite nice to me (smooth and flexible). What is worrying me know is that everyone in this discussion forum seems to have a bad opinion about hohner...the other negative point of the hohner is the price: 1350 Swiss Francs, that is about 1000 US$. This is not cheap at all (if i compare e.g. with Jackie or Stagi...). I think for this price I could get perhaps a better instrument?

No, sorry. I meant the reeds in Chemnitzers and bandoneons are constructed differently. I can't tell you how, nor whether they are smooth sounding.

For 1000 US there are some decent Lachenals and other old English concertinas, easily my choice over a Hohner or Stagi copy. Chris Algar can help you there.

I'm living in Basel/Switzerland. Would be fine if you know someone near Basel.

Jonathan Taylor (a Concertina.net member, though not a frequent poster) lives near Basel. He's an excellent player on the English, in music from various traditions. There's also another -- but with my atrocious memory for names I can't think of his at the moment -- in/near Basel, with whom I've discussed duet concertinas. I think he may be the one shown on Stephen Mills' map as playing all three types. If that's not him, then there must be at least a third, besides you. In any case, Jonathan should know about him and any others, and he's a friendly fellow. Contact him through the messaging facility here on C.net.

How do we get our dot on the map?

You are already on the map. Members who provide locations and type of instrument information in their profiles, or even their posts, are placed on the map as soon as I get 10-15 needing placement. Sadly, your part of England (is this what's called the Midlands?) is so overcrowded with big dots now as to lose all utility. At some point, I may expand this region as I have Old and New England previously. See the map thread, pg.3, for an interesting comparison of UK light pollution with its concertina density, thanks to Peter Brook.

Trivia question: Without looking at the map, what are the only 2 countries with more than 5 c.net members which have more English players than Anglo as represented by the limited map sample? Players of both systems are counted in both tallies.

Reto Werdenberg also lives in Basel. His only post, I think, details what instruments he plays. Oh, I see Henk has identified him as I compose this.

Encoded answer to question:

XXAXXDXXAXXNXXAXXCXX and

XXSXXDXXNXXAXXLXXRXXEXXHXXTXXEXXNXX

Trivia question: Without looking at the map, what are the only 2 countries with more than 5 c.net members which have more English players than Anglo as represented by the limited map sample? Players of both systems are counted in both tallies.

Hard to be sure without knowing which countries have more than 5 C.net members on the map. I came close, though, getting one right and even thinking at first that I'd gotten both, as I mistook some dots on the border as being for the wrong country. (But I did my guessing without the map.)

But your "more than 5 c.net members" requirement excludes 6 other countries with more English than anglo... on the map. Of course, you've also excluded several countries with only anglo players marked. :)

And I know many concertina players in various countries who are not on the map, but I'm sure that's no surprise. E.g., just in Sweden I know or know of 6 English players not on the map (including C.net member ennistraveler, who I expect to appear on the map any day now), three dedicated and at least three occasional anglo players, and one who plays anglo and some Crane duet and has recently started working on the English.

That's not a complaint about the map, just an indication of how fruitless it can be to try to make estimates based on seriously incomplete data.

You are already on the map.

Thanks, Stephen! My part of England is Devon, in the Southwest, not the Midlands. This is quite close to Sidmouth, of Folk Festival fame. There is only a single blue "Duet" dot in the whole of Devon on your map and I thought this was Geoff Lakeman (username "Lakeman"), but I just saw from his profile that he hasn't submitted his location or type of concertina. Geoff plays (as opposed to me, who's only trying to) the Crane Duet and lives about 5 1/2 miles from me! (This must make Yelverton - our postal town - the place with highest Crane Duet player density anywhere in the country, I reckon! :) )

You are already on the map.

Thanks, Stephen! My part of England is Devon, in the Southwest, not the Midlands. This is quite close to Sidmouth, of Folk Festival fame. There is only a single blue "Duet" dot in the whole of Devon on your map and I thought this was Geoff Lakeman (username "Lakeman"), but I just saw from his profile that he hasn't submitted his location or type of concertina. Geoff plays (as opposed to me, who's only trying to) the Crane Duet and lives about 5 1/2 miles from me! (This must make Yelverton - our postal town - the place with highest Crane Duet player density anywhere in the country, I reckon! :) )

Hmm, puzzling. I remember your case, because Dartmoor doesn't come up in Mapquest, being a region, probably, and not a city, but you were listed in my database as being near Plymouth. So either I didn't plot you or Geoff Lakeman, who I also had listed as being in the Plymouth area. Now there are two dots there, and ennistraveler's as well in Sweden.

[digression] I wonder how many of you duet players have had prior keyboard experience, most I expect. I haven't, and for me, the hardest part of learning the Hayden these past few months is the hand independence part. Not for written music, but for comping against melody in the RH. [/end digression]

That's not a complaint about the map, just an indication of how fruitless it can be to try to make estimates based on seriously incomplete data.

There's science and there's fun, Jim. I do my science during the day. What I do here tends closer to the barroom argument. (I'm fortunate the science is also still fun after all these years.)

Edited by Stephen Mills