New Ebay Scam - It's Been A While!

Paul Read

How do you identify 'scams'? This one looks genuine, you clearly recognise the 'tina in question!

Recently I have been plagued with bogus 'second chance' offers, mostly from China I think. They seem to be targetting high priced instruments such as concertinas. I always contact the seller to try to make sure, but they are always scams!

Chris

One clue is the bidder's identity being kept secret (then people can't be warned). Usually they want payment through Western Union and often there is no feedback.

I believe I've seen this one sold recently, won by Chris Algar.

This one's allegedly in Penzance - scammers like to choose remote regions in the hope that no-one will come and visit. A friend has recently had dealings with a guitar scammer, also pretending to be in West Cornwall. I sent the seller a message, asking when I can see the instrument - I'll let you know if he replies...

PS: Oh look, he's got a rare & expensive bass guitar to sell, too. I wonder...

Edited by Cream-T

This one's allegedly in Penzance - scammers like to choose remote regions in the hope that no-one will come and visit. A friend has recently had dealings with a guitar scammer, also pretending to be in West Cornwall. I sent the seller a message, asking when I can see the instrument - I'll let you know if he replies...

I've just done the same myself. I was wrong about Chris Algar, it was a different instrument. Can anyone place this one?

There have been a lot of concertina scams coming out of China. I report a lot of them because at the moment I am trying to learn about what kind of prices concertinas go for/what they might be worth, so I tend to recognise a lot them, especially if they have photos.

Hadn't picked this one as a scam though, although I did wonder about the ID, and I'm always reluctant to be the first buyer from anyone [although I guess someone has to be :)]

How do you identify 'scams'? This one looks genuine, ....

Well how about:

Someone who knows its in modern concert pitch (A=440Hz) and then lists it:

Listed in category: Wholesale & Job Lots > Other Wholesale & Job Lots

It sure smells from here!

Here is the reply I got:

"Hi there,

My asking price is £800 including shipping cost .

Thanks and I'm looking forward to hear from you !

Regards,

Robert"

I've asked for the address and phone number for trying it out. That should decide it.

... My asking price is £800 including shipping cost . ...

"Asking price" on an auction? That makes me suspicious!

.. 1) Isn't that against eBay rules?

.. 2) If that's really an "asking price" rather than a "reserve", then why not post it as a "Buy It Now" price?

.. 3) "Including shipping cost", no matter whether to England or Canada? :unsure:

If this is the scam I think it is, the english is good because it is stolen from the original listing.

When I contacted him, I didn't ask for a price, I asked if my friend could go and look at it. He avoided that question. As Jim says, that should raise a flag in itself.

Hmm! I received additional pictures. However they did not come through my ebay message board; they were sent directly.

The private bidder ID is a red flag.

But if this is illegit, it is the most sophisticated scam I have seen to date.

????????????

Greg

Here's his response to my follow up. Look at the foreign english usage.

As far as I'm concerned it's a scam. I will inform ebay:

"Hi again,

I am not happy with this arrangement .I prefer to sell you directly the concertina . I want you to receive the item from me becouse I don`t want to have any problems afterwards .I will pay the shipping cost with insurance and I know sure that you will receive the item from me .

Let me know .

Robert"

I may do one more follow up to see him wriggle but I think this is conclusive.