Trolls And Other Beasts

I love this site.

It has provided me with access to so much knowledge and information that would have been impossible to find so easily any other way. Posters are generally tolerant, knowledgeable, courteous and geneorus.

In good faith and without prejudice I provide the following link to give information about trolls.

Let's protect our forum from this kind of invasion.

all the best,

Peter

well, you know what they say about feeding trolls.

are we too small to have some kind of user-moderation system like they have on slashdot? of course this would require new software for running this site. one thing that might be useful would be if we had the ability to hide all comments from specific users in our preferences. so, for example, if someone posted an ad for tractor-trailers in the buy/sell section, and this bothered me, i could just add that user to my personal s-list and wouldn't have to look at any more comments from that person. and maybe you would be able to see how many people someone had been s-listed by.

there is one new user who has been irritating me lately. i don't think this user should be banned, but i would sure appreciate the ability to come to this site without seeing this user's comments. i'd also appreciate it of someone would bring jeffries back from the dead and clone him a few hundred times. we don't always get what we wish for i guess. so i guess things could be worse than having to ignore a troll now and then. and a concertina made by an army of cloned zombies probably wouldn't sound quite the same as the original, so i suppose i should just be careful what i wish for.

are we too small to have some kind of user-moderation system like they have on slashdot?

It's not a question of size. I guess it needs to be repeated: We the members don't own this site; Paul S. does. Even if "we" -- more than 1000 registered members -- were to figure out a workable process to decide such a question (no Poll so far has had even 100 total responses), the most we could do would be to recommend to Paul a course of action.

I myself am quite happy both with Paul's being the "moderator" and with his relatively loose hand on the control.

one thing that might be useful would be if we had the ability to hide all comments from specific users in our preferences.

I believe we already have the ability to "ignore users". At the top of this page, click on My Controls. When you get there, go to the Options menu on the lower left and click on Manage Ignored Users.

one thing that might be useful would be if we had the ability to hide all comments from specific users in our preferences.

I believe we already have the ability to "ignore users". At the top of this page, click on My Controls. When you get there, go to the Options menu on the lower left and click on Manage Ignored Users.

thanks. i should have read the instructions...

I'd just like to add that good moderation appears to have abated the present problem. The same person caused far more trouble on melodeon.net, because it was the first time their moderator had faced the problem of trolls. We had our baptism of fire a while back.

Thabks again to Paul and Ken.

Chris